Anyone have the 600 HP-rated Griffin direct-fit aluminum radiator in their 65-66?

Cannoball888

Dec 25, 2005
Gainesville, FL
How dramatic a difference was the cooling? I just ordered one from Summit. Yeah, I know, I could have gone with just a wider '69 stock radiator like MustangSteve did, but I don't want to do any cutting. Besides, my present Scott Drake electric fan fits the stock '65 (and the Griffin) radiator dimensions.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got one. It works fine for regular street use in front of my supercharged 306 (445rwhp), keeping it quite cool whether I'm idling a lot or highway driving. I had problems recently, however, during an open track event. On a hot day (~94degF) with some hard driving mostly under boost, on a 1.5 mile road course, the engine heated up more than I'd have liked. I'm working on a solution now, but don't have one to offer at the moment...

I know you said you didn't want to do any cutting but I bought an original Ford 24" rad and re-cored it to a 4 core.
570535_79_full.jpg

It can be mounted in the stock location without cutting the rad support by fabbing up some brackets. My engine isn't overly built up but I daily drive the car in city traffic with lots of idling and I always got the temp up even with electric fans, 4 core stock rad etc. Since putting in this 24" rad last year my temp always hovers right at 195-205 (mechanical gauge and 195 degree thermstat).
I stayed away from an aluminum rad mostly because my car will eventually be an R model clone and I wanted it to look "right" under the hood as well. Just another option to consider.:)

Dave

stangonline said:
Any detonation there? That will spike those temps pretty quickly.

I was having some sort of fuel delivery issue, although I didn't realize it until the drive home and had some time to watch the fuel pressure gauge. It mysteriously dropped off at WOT (not a good sign!). Could be that the radiator is fine and I just need to figure out the fuel issue...