Anyone Know Where To Buy A Set Of Gt-40x Heads?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a set, but they aren't for sale :D.

Exhaust ports are stock location. But both the intake and exhaust ports are much larger than stock e7s. I had bbk equal headers and the ports on the headers were too small so I went with the JBA cat4ward shorties. Matched a lot better. Intake, you need a large port lower, or port a existing one that you have. I believe the Edelbrock RPM 2 and Trick flow Track Heat\ Street Burner match up nice. I can say for sure the Trick Flow matches pretty close and both Trick flow uppers use the same lower so you can play with your power band. Also you need the M-9439-A50 intake gasket. The FRPP gasket if you want to run the EGR, or a Felpro 1262 intake gasket if you don't plan on running a egr.

Reactions: 1 user
mmm... why not juice up the stock GT40 heads, port the stock intake and custom cam it???
It would make more power than the stock X heads and be very drivable... and then you can state at car shows stock block/heads/intakes.

Yes...and it would also cost twice as much and be quite a bit more work than installing a set of stock GT40X heads as well.

Never used the X heads but I recall something about them having higher exhuast ports?
Higher intake ports.

I have a set, but they aren't for sale :D.

Exhaust ports are stock location. But both the intake and exhaust ports are much larger than stock e7s. I had bbk equal headers and the ports on the headers were too small so I went with the JBA cat4ward shorties. Matched a lot better. Intake, you need a large port lower, or port a existing one that you have. I believe the Edelbrock RPM 2 and Trick flow Track Heat\ Street Burner match up nice. I can say for sure the Trick Flow matches pretty close and both Trick flow uppers use the same lower so you can play with your power band. Also you need the M-9439-A50 intake gasket. The FRPP gasket if you want to run the EGR, or a Felpro 1262 intake gasket if you don't plan on running a egr.

The 1262's will work with the EGR provided you drill the holes in them to match the port. That's what I'm running.

You have to remove a bit of metal from both the top of the Trick Flow lower intake port and the bottom of the GT40X intake ports in order to port match them. Nothing too ridiculous though.

Yes...and it would also cost twice as much and be quite a bit more work than installing a set of stock GT40X heads as well.
Mill and comp valve job was all I would look at, either head is going to need springs given he's going to cam it anyway... and if he is buying used alum. he's got to be thinking freshen, so moot point regarding guides seals etc.
I'd say the money side of the coin is going to be too close to call.
Now, IMO, since it's a show car, I would think original heads will award more points than alum., even if they are FoMoCo.

Also take into consideration I am always right... :big smirk:

Mill and comp valve job was all I would look at, either head is going to need springs given he's going to cam it anyway... and if he is buying used alum. he's got to be thinking freshen, so moot point regarding guides seals etc.
I'd say the money side of the coin is going to be too close to call.
Now, IMO, since it's a show car, I would think original heads will award more points than alum., even if they are FoMoCo.
Also take into consideration I am always right... :big smirk:

The need for a rebuild of the GT40X's is going to be dependant on their condition....but generally their selling price will also reflect this. I got mine fresh out of the machine shop, cleaned, 3-angle valve job, new guides, seals, decking, etc for $700 shipped. I'm running the stock M-6513-A50 valve springs in mine shimmed .030 with a .555/.565 lift camshaft and absolutely no issues.

With GT40/GT40P heads a valve job and springs will be mandatory. No getting around it. Most of these heads are on higher mileage engines, and are anywhere from 13-18 years old at this point anyway....so the likelihood they're going to need guides and a fresh plane across their surface is pretty high as well. Also, a person would have to get pretty creative with the port job on the iron heads to get them to surpass GT40X flow figures....and that ain't gonna be cheap either.

While I agree that you could probably still get comparable performance out of a set of GT40/GT40P you're still going to be within the $100-$200 range of what you'd pay for a similarly equipped set of GT40X's and with that you don't get the added benefit of aluminum.

If someone really wanted to make the car looks stock, they could always give the heads a coat of black or grey paint, then cover them up with some grime. The accessories cover most of the casting identifying logo's in teh front of the head anyway so I'm betting most people probably still wouldn't know the difference? Besides, anyone who does and is going to look close enough at the car's heads to see what material they're made uot of is probably also going to notice the 3 or 4 bar markings that identify the GT40/GT40P heads over the E7TE's just as easily anyway?

....and how can we both always be right? :shrug: