Anyone Know Where To Buy A Set Of Gt-40x Heads?

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
I am trying to get a set of GT-40X heads. They are pretty expensive new, and I would like to find a used set. Anyone know someone who is selling a set?

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks Madspeed. Nothing is decided yet, but we are doing some planning. Getting a set of those heads is going to be the tough part.

The engine is coming out of the Cobra, and we thought it would be cool to set it up so that it all looks as stock as possible. Not to be a sleeper, obviously with those heads, just to have some originality, and show car appeal. We are going to take the cold air kit off it, and put the stock air box back in. We want to use the stock valve covers, and the stock intake. I think the best head would be the AFR 165, but I thought it would be really cool to have a head that has a Ford part number stamped on the side.

Kurt

Some cast blast paint on any aluminum head will make it look stockish. With all of the accessories I doubt you will notice the heads are ford/afr/tfs anyway

That's a really good idea Ttop. If we can get a good deal on the GT40x heads then we will go that route. If not, we will just buy a set of AFRs. I don't think with this particular application we will see much power difference between the two. I have never personally worked with a set of AFRs, but I understand you have to massage the ports on the Cobra lower a little to get them to match up right.

Kurt

I guess I should elaborate a little more on the concept we are trying to accomplish with the car. The idea is not to make it look stock, but to make it the way Ford should have made the car in the first place. The 94-95 Cobras had a lot of great features that put them above the standard GT. However, the engine was a bit of a short cut on Ford's part. It was very close to the GT engine, while at the same time the standard Camaro already came with aluminum heads and a 6 speed transmission. I know the GT-40x is not actually period accurate, but it is pretty close. The period accurate head would actually be the GT-40 turbo swirl, but those heads suck really bad, so we are just trying to get it close with the GT-40x. I know we are going to have a PMAS airflow meter sandwiched in the stock air box, and we are not going to use an alphabet cam, but you won't see those things. Things like shiny valve covers, polished parts, braided lines, and a cold air intake would never come on a factory car, and that's what we are trying to avoid.

Kurt

It's too bad I'm not ready to upgrade just yet. My GT40X's are actually off the car right now, sitting on the bench while I change a head gasket. I'd really like to pick up a set of the newer AFR 185's for it, but I'm just not in a position right now to come up with the rest of the cash to swap them out.

mmm... why not juice up the stock GT40 heads, port the stock intake and custom cam it???
It would make more power than the stock X heads and be very drivable... and then you can state at car shows stock block/heads/intakes.

revhead347 said:
Thanks Madspeed. Nothing is decided yet, but we are doing some planning. Getting a set of those heads is going to be the tough part.

The engine is coming out of the Cobra, and we thought it would be cool to set it up so that it all looks as stock as possible. Not to be a sleeper, obviously with those heads, just to have some originality, and show car appeal. We are going to take the cold air kit off it, and put the stock air box back in. We want to use the stock valve covers, and the stock intake. I think the best head would be the AFR 165, but I thought it would be really cool to have a head that has a Ford part number stamped on the side.

Kurt
This was a similar concept to my build with using only Ford parts, pretty happy with that current build and will last til the 363 is ready.