Anyone use a crane Hi-6??

• Sponsors (?)

Hi-6

First off, I always buy an ignition box. The crane is better than the MSD. The summit kit is worth every penny and is sick easy to install. Unfortunately, I do not think that it is a real performance enhancer. It does make the run better, and a lot smoother, but I don't think it gives you any additional power. It's a luxury enhancement like an aluminum driveshaft. I think its worth it. While you're at it, get an aluminum driveshaft too.

Grassroots Motorsports did before and after dynos this month with results for a Jacobs ignition system on a fox body with the usual bolt ons (stock heads/intake manifold). They picked up peak 6 HP and 12 ft-lbs of torque, with increases in HP and torque at all rpm levels. Don't know if they just had an under-performing stock system to start with, but that's a pretty impressive gain from an ignition system. Your mileage may vary depending on......

I run an HI-6 BTM (boost retard model) on my blown '93 Cobra. My first Crane box was gold colored, and died with less than 2K miles on it, causing the engine to not rev past about 2K RPMs. I sent it in asking them to repair it, but they replaced it even though it was not under warranty. Pretty decent company. They sent me a new'n'improved Crane Fireball box, which is black, and that one hasn't died yet in 4 years. The only thing I don't really like is that the rev limiter comes on harshly, making the engine snort and sneeze, while the MSD limiters I've (inadvertently) tried seemed more progressive. Adjustable boost retard is a plus, so is adjustable rev limit that you don't have to buy new pills for - and I believe the regular non-boost retard model is the same way. In all, not a bad product.

-P51C

P51C said:
I run an HI-6 BTM (boost retard model) on my blown '93 Cobra. My first Crane box was gold colored, and died with less than 2K miles on it, causing the engine to not rev past about 2K RPMs. I sent it in asking them to repair it, but they replaced it even though it was not under warranty. Pretty decent company. They sent me a new'n'improved Crane Fireball box, which is black, and that one hasn't died yet in 4 years. The only thing I don't really like is that the rev limiter comes on harshly, making the engine snort and sneeze, while the MSD limiters I've (inadvertently) tried seemed more progressive. Adjustable boost retard is a plus, so is adjustable rev limit that you don't have to buy new pills for - and I believe the regular non-boost retard model is the same way. In all, not a bad product.

-P51C

My crane HI-6 met the same fate. I bought it used though an the guy lied said it was barely used. My ass this thing looked like it had some years behind it but i put it on an in less then 20miles it suddenly stopped workin an wouldn't let my car rev. past 1500rpm talk about hard to drive lol. But i bought a MSD 6AL off a guy looks brand new i couldn't pass it up it was 100bucks.

My opion about Crane Cams: Decent products, HORRIBLE COMPANY.

I have had a Hi-6 box in my car for probably 2 years now, maybe a little more. Never gave me any problems, and have been plenty happy with it until one day it wouldn't hold current, and would cause the car to stall after around 15 seconds of running.

I took it out, opened it up...and found a nicely burnt resistor, and a blown zener (sp) diode. I called to ask what would cause this to happen (as it is mounted in the trunk, and thought this might have something to do with it), or if this was something to be expected with a 2 year old unit. I was absolutely blown the **** off, noone would give me a straight answer one way or the other. You think they would want their customers to know what would make their products work the best, and last the longest..well definately not with me.

I then asked for a schematic of the ignition box so I could find out what resistor to get (the one in there was burnt bad and wasn't readable), couldn't give me that. Now mind you there are schematics of the MSD boxes ALL over the internet, and MSD even offered to diagnose and provide the parts needed to fix my CRANE box if I so chose. They also gave me a bunch of information about ignition placement, pros and cons of each...etc. Great people.

After all this, I then e-mailed Crane Cams two seperate times explaining the situation and simply asking what value the resistor in so-n-so spot on the board is so I could get a new one, and they never wrote back.

As if giving me the value of a single resistor is going to cause there company to go under or something. Little do they realize it's going to be their customer service, support, and relations that ends up being their downfall.

If anything that I cannot fix happens to this HI-6 box, I will never buy another one. I used to be a die-hard Crane fan...and would recommend their products to everyone. But after this treatment...no longer.
BTW, all the MSD bashing they do on their site is all related to the much older MSD boxes, on which MSD has done much improvement.

Sorry for the long rant, but I figured some of you guys might want to know what problems you could POSSIBLY run into dealing with this company. :notnice: