ATTENTION: Owners of 2011 Mustangs with a shimmy/vibration in the car/steering

Argetni

Mar 18, 2010
Resolved

I met with the field service engineer yesterday and a certified suspension and handling tech from Ford.

They both drove my car with me in it for 25 miles and both felt the vibration in both the steering wheel and the floor boards.

We then got back to the dealer and took out a brand new 2011 GT with 118 miles on the same 25 mile loop.

IT HAD THE EXACT SAME vibration.

Diagnoses

"normal vehicle characteristic"

So case closed on my car.

• Sponsors (?)

What do you feel is causing the "shimmy"? I've got about 1100 miles on a two week old, brand new (to me) car and haven't noticed anything. The steering is a bit different than I'm used to but I just chalked that up to it being "electric". Does the shimmy present itself in certain sutuations? Over imperfections in the road? Bumps? What?

What do you feel is causing the "shimmy"? I've got about 1100 miles on a two week old, brand new (to me) car and haven't noticed anything. The steering is a bit different than I'm used to but I just chalked that up to it being "electric". Does the shimmy present itself in certain sutuations? Over imperfections in the road? Bumps? What?

Put the car in SPORT MODE (foot on brake pedal and push ESC button twice, DIC will display ADVANETRAC SPORT MODE)

Get on the highway and go 80mph plus - if your car was built before August the steering wheel will shake odds are. Some cars do it at 50mph and up.

Still collecting info.

I hate to burst your bubble,and I feel bad that you have that problem with your car,but if you think FORD is going to issue a TSB for a list of 14 cars out of how many 2011 Mustangs that they have built.I think your time would be better spent getting a Ford rep to go with you and drive the car and get it fixed,also get rid of that dealership even if you have to drive some distance to do it.

My daughter just bought a new 2010 Focus and has the same problem. Ford has been cooperative and has tried balancing the wheels, going to try something a bit fancier and have already said that if that doesn't work, they will replace the tires at no charge with another brand.

My daughter just bought a new 2010 Focus and has the same problem. Ford has been cooperative and has tried balancing the wheels, going to try something a bit fancier and have already said that if that doesn't work, they will replace the tires at no charge with another brand.

Interesting......there are also people with new F150s complaining about fighting a shimmy.