Progress Thread HeHateMe gets bent

Got the :stupid: friggin garage door back in action. I replaced all of the wheels. Man those 20 year old suckers were worn, but honestly not as bad as I thought. I think the problem is the springs lost some tension and let the cable come off one side when it got to the top. I think they are not the correct springs. Right now, it pops up by itself if you release it from the opening. It goes almost to the top and stops...but if you pull it down halfway it sits there. Pull it down 3/4 of the way and it's a rocket again. But all the way at the top, the cables are almost loose. Guess I need to find the correct size springs and replace them.

• Sponsors (?)

I just got my cam, hydraulic lash adjusters, and cam. I have a gutted and rotated upper intake on the way. I need to see if autozone has a cam bearing install tool in their rental fleet so I can pop in the new aux shaft bearings. I need to get a throttle body. I think the guy doing my upper is going to cut it out to 67-68mm opening and I think I can use an SN95 TB. So as soon as I confirm that, I will be shopping for one. I think I have everything now to put the engine together. Big ticket items I still need for bare minimum to swap and start. Throttle body, injectors, a wastegate mount on the header, intercooler and all cold side, BOV. I could get it running on either the C950 or HP ECU, but I am going Megasquirt. Question is whether I buy a Stinger Pimp or a MS3 Pro. Stinger Pimp would come with a start tune and almost be plug n play with their harness and mount in the factory ECU location. I then would want a boost controller and Flex fuel sensor. And that leads to fuel system upgrades. A 340 efi compatible pump and new fuel lines....I'm still running the 5/16 and 1/4 stock 85 supply and return lines to the tbi injection.

As George Harrison sang,

But it's gonna take money
A whole lot of spending money
It's gonna take plenty of money
To do it right, child
It's gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
It's gonna take patience and time, um
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it right, child

Reactions: 2 users
@a91what Steve, I don't see it listed in the details, but this is typical MS3, so flex fuel, flat shift, etc are all in there? I see boost control and nitrous control.
It's a full ms3x, or closer to an ms3pro. It has all of it, you want to do traction control? Boost by mph? Perfect run? Flex? Flex blend? Multi fuel? Staged injection?
It can do it

Thanks to Steve, I am $900 lighter in the wallet. I picked up a goldbox and the temp sensor/pigtail package they have. I am very interested in the 8x8 expansion because it can log up to 8 EGT's and my headers happen to have egt bungs in them. I am a firm believer that egt, especially individual cylinders will be a better gauge of tune that a O2 sensor after the turbo. So, that means I am going to go sequential so I can do individual cylinder trims.

Well, maybe not at first...while the 8x8 was $300 something...I haven't even looked up K type thermocouples. I'm sure they aren't BOGO.

What else can I spend money on @a91what ??????

you need a wideband, do the spartan2 or spartan3ADV from 14point7.com these are all I ever suggest and its what I use.

Pick up some coils from an LS or even the IGN1A if you can afford them. then we need to either fab or purchase a 24tooth trigger wheel, this will replace the pip and shutter wheel in the distributor, use a small hall effect sensor and boom. sequential....
or use the pip and a V8 shutter wheel, count the teeth on the wheel.. one space will be larger than the rest, and now you have a poor mans CAS setup. the TFI is not needed the PIP is a hall effect sensor and needs a 1k pull-up from 12V.
I can find or print you a blank cap to cover it up... or leave the distributor cap to mess with people

I might just buy Stinger's CAS setup. Pretty much complete with a harness. I have a LC-1 I used to feed voltage to the Holley to read the wideband. I bought another Innovate wideband contoller that's newer. I need to go find it and see what I bought. LO

you could buy the CAS if you have the money to burn.

The Rio Azul restaurant I've been going to for 20 years opened back up 50% capacity for serving. So we made our first trip back since March. I had a couple of DosXX and came home and ordered the CAS.

:spot:

I almost just went ahead and bought another turbo since this HX35 seems off the wall. I got the rebuild kit for a HX50 with dual piston rings for the turbine. They seemed the correct size, but they aren't...they are actually TOO SMALL. When I put them in the housing, they have about a .011 or .012 gap. The used ones have about .004. So I said screw this. I'll reuse the old ones, they look in good shape. Go to put it together and the the new compressor wheel is too big. I guess I can't read the $9 caliper I got at HF. One of these days I will get this turbo back together.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
I gotta stop drinking and buying stuff. Or at least paying attention to what I buy. For example HX35 compressor wheel. When I went to install it, it was too big. So I go on my Amazon account and say, I need to return this 7 blade wheel and get a smaller 7 blade wheel. But my purchase history shows that I bought the 8 blade wheel which IS bigger. :bang:

So I am sending that back and getting the one I knew to buy in the first place. I did go ahead and buy some Crower Sportsman rods and new pistons finally. I was going to try and reuse the stock pistons and use stock rods with ARP bolts. I was cleaning the garage today and dropped a cooler on my work bench, which catapulted 3 of the pistons across the garage. Not good. One even has a huge gouge in the skirt. Man was I mad. So about $850 later I'll have better pistons and rods.

On the bright side, I might have mentioned the garage door fiasco earlier this week. When I was fooling with it, both cables came off and got bound up. I thought I could get it down by myself using the floor jack...which worked until it fell off. It got a nice dent at the bottom. Luckily, I have watched enough talented body men like @Davedacarpainter and others. I have pretty much got the bend out of the bottom and the big bulge that was on the outside out of it. I think if you didn't know it had a huge dent in it Wednesday night, you wouldn't know it.

Reactions: 3 users
Finally I got the HX35 together, bagged and put up. I have since bought an EFI Source Gold Box MS3 ECU. I found out that Crower is discontinuing their Sportsman rods. It was nice of Esslinger to announce they only had 3 sets left, so of course I bought a set. My cylinders (miraculously if you read the internet) are still only a couple thou taper and out of round AFTER filling the block, so I bought a set of standard hyper pistons. It's next to impossible to find some forged pistons for std bore, but I broke down and ordered a set from Racer Walsh. I'll have to send the Hyper's back to Summit. The forged pistons are flattops which will bring the compression ratio to a whopping 8.98:1.

So, good rods, forged pistons, a huge aftermarket fuel rail. Left on my shopping list will be somewhere around 100lb injectors so I can run E85. It's so hard to find around here I may just run a lot of water meth and 93 octane.

Today my brother brought over his cam bearing tool and we installed the auxiliary shaft bearings. The back one was a little tight so it took a little polishing with some 1000 grit and a scotchbrite pad. It's smooth as silk turning now. Maybe tomorrow or next weekend...depending on how long I have to spend at work tomorrow, I'll throw the dingle ball to her. Wash the block and crank again really good.

Then it will be assembly time. I bought a phone gimbal thingamabob. I might try to video my fat ass putting the engine together. Of course, I'll have to edit all the audio since I crank up Pandora in the garage and Youtube will throw fits over copyrighted music. Even worse, I could put my air buds in and get caught singing to the music. :poo::ack: My singing is about the same as Trump's tact.

Finally I got the HX35 together, bagged and put up. I have since bought an EFI Source Gold Box MS3 ECU. I found out that Crower is discontinuing their Sportsman rods. It was nice of Esslinger to announce they only had 3 sets left, so of course I bought a set. My cylinders (miraculously if you read the internet) are still only a couple thou taper and out of round AFTER filling the block, so I bought a set of standard hyper pistons. It's next to impossible to find some forged pistons for std bore, but I broke down and ordered a set from Racer Walsh. I'll have to send the Hyper's back to Summit. The forged pistons are flattops which will bring the compression ratio to a whopping 8.98:1.

So, good rods, forged pistons, a huge aftermarket fuel rail. Left on my shopping list will be somewhere around 100lb injectors so I can run E85. It's so hard to find around here I may just run a lot of water meth and 93 octane.

Today my brother brought over his cam bearing tool and we installed the auxiliary shaft bearings. The back one was a little tight so it took a little polishing with some 1000 grit and a scotchbrite pad. It's smooth as silk turning now. Maybe tomorrow or next weekend...depending on how long I have to spend at work tomorrow, I'll throw the dingle ball to her. Wash the block and crank again really good.

Then it will be assembly time. I bought a phone gimbal thingamabob. I might try to video my fat ass putting the engine together. Of course, I'll have to edit all the audio since I crank up Pandora in the garage and Youtube will throw fits over copyrighted music. Even worse, I could put my air buds in and get caught singing to the music. :poo::ack: My singing is about the same as Trump's tact.
You sing, I think out loud. ( Some people could say that i talk to myself along those lines). Either way, i’m sure it would make for a less than entertaining vid. The other side of that is that the camera has to be rolling to catch the unexpected stuff that will make for a really good viral moment.

if only if..........

Reactions: 1 user
You sing, I think out loud. ( Some people could say that i talk to myself along those lines). Either way, i’m sure it would make for a less than entertaining vid. The other side of that is that the camera has to be rolling to catch the unexpected stuff that will make for a really good viral moment.

if only if..........

I'm usually too busy cussing to sing. My favorite phrase right now is, There is no way this can possibly be this hard. With a bunch of cuss words added in. The unexpected stuff would probably lead to more cussing!
:doh: