Progress Thread HeHateMe gets bent

More done yesterday. I took off the stock Marchal foglights. They were in decent but not great shape, but the lenses are intact. So I have them and the factory wiring harness for sale. I bought some Grote (I am groot) foglights off Ebay and wired them up. They use weatherpack connectors, so I got to use my weatherpack kit for the first time. The leads on the fog lights are super long, so my harness is less than 1' long, but has a take off to go to power and ground. Today I want to put all the front lights back in and wire up the coil and MSD as much as I can until I put the HP ecu in.

I am so bummed that Miss. State lost to Kentucky...but I had a feeling. Hopefully we rebound next week and the guys take it out on their old Coach, Dan Mullen. My wife's a UT fan so she wasn't excited about that game either.

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_125951.jpg
    IMG_20180922_125951.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20180922_125958.jpg
    IMG_20180922_125958.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

So I'll admit. I'm pretty addicted to coffee. I can weeks without a beer, but not coffee. I'll sometimes have it after dinner. I must have a tolerance to the caffeine, because I can go right to sleep afterwards. My wife works at home and is worse than I am. We've been together 5 years and had go thru 2 Kuerigs. 1 year ago her son told her about the NINJA COFFEE BAR. Amazon-Ninja Coffee Bar It's like a regular 19.99 Mr. Coffee but it has a FROTHER. I don't care about that. I like coffee and some french vanilla creamer. If you don't have french vanilla, Italian sweet creme will do. If you have that sawdust powder :poo:, I'll drink it black thank you. No crazy flavors. I may put some Irish whiskey, but no chocolate bull :poo: flavors in the coffee itself.

I like my coffee like I like my tires. Black and Hot. As Denis Leary once said, I would like some coffee flavored coffee.

Anyway, the Ninja has a wakeup timer on it too. Again, like the $19.99 Mr. Coffee. It can make a whole pot, half pot, large travel mug, small travel mug, or coffee cup size. So can the Mr. Coffee if you just put that much water in it. But the NINJA has a stainless steel tank and a water reservoir. So you flip a switch hit a button, and voila. It has has different buttons for classic strength, extra strong, ice coffee. The Mr. Coffee does these if you just adjust the amount of coffee in the basket. So, why in the name of Hillary Clinton's email servers do I not have a $19.99 Mr. Coffee. Because the wife wanted the Ninja. Therefor, *I* wanted the Ninja. I wanted it so badly, that *I* gave it to her on her birthday. Or was it our anniversary. They are on the same day, so it's hard to tell what I gave for which occasion.

Evidently, the NINJA has a flow meter because this morning it won't make coffee, it just beeps. I immediately searched the YOUTUBE and came up with hard water scales up the heating element or it could be the valve in the external plastic reservoir not filling the heated area fast enough. We don't have hard water. Matter of fact I'd put Memphis water out of the tap up against most bottled water. We have the best water I have ever tasted and it comes right out of the tap. Anyway, I finally come to the conclusion there is another valve on tap of the heated tank under the removable plastic tank. I monkey with that and run some hot vinegar thru it. It seems to have recovered its ability to brew. Of course, now I have to run it about 20 times to get the vinegar out of it.

I was about to get the $19.99 Mr. Coffee out of the attic because I have a back up plan, but the wife rolls in the kitchen, looks at the empty coffee pot and says, have you made coffee yet? I say, No, would you run to McD and get some breakfast.

She replied, hell no I aint going anywhere. I haven't had a shower, I don't have makeup on, I am not getting dressed. I said, oh, well the coffee pot is broken and I am trying to fix it. I probably need some more white vinegar to do an actual clean cycle on it. I turn around and she's gone.

She's walking out the door, saying F this, I am going to Starbucks, what do you want from McD! LOL

:doh:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So I'll admit. I'm pretty addicted to coffee. I can weeks without a beer, but not coffee. I'll sometimes have it after dinner. I must have a tolerance to the caffeine, because I can go right to sleep afterwards. My wife works at home and is worse than I am. We've been together 5 years and had go thru 2 Kuerigs. 1 year ago her son told her about the NINJA COFFEE BAR. Amazon-Ninja Coffee Bar It's like a regular 19.99 Mr. Coffee but it has a FROTHER. I don't care about that. I like coffee and some french vanilla creamer. If you don't have french vanilla, Italian sweet creme will do. If you have that sawdust powder :poo:, I'll drink it black thank you. No crazy flavors. I may put some Irish whiskey, but no chocolate bull :poo: flavors in the coffee itself.

I like my coffee like I like my tires. Black and Hot. As Denis Leary once said, I would like some coffee flavored coffee.

Anyway, the Ninja has a wakeup timer on it too. Again, like the $19.99 Mr. Coffee. It can make a whole pot, half pot, large travel mug, small travel mug, or coffee cup size. So can the Mr. Coffee if you just put that much water in it. But the NINJA has a stainless steel tank and a water reservoir. So you flip a switch hit a button, and voila. It has has different buttons for classic strength, extra strong, ice coffee. The Mr. Coffee does these if you just adjust the amount of coffee in the basket. So, why in the name of Hillary Clinton's email servers do I not have a $19.99 Mr. Coffee. Because the wife wanted the Ninja. Therefor, *I* wanted the Ninja. I wanted it so badly, that *I* gave it to her on her birthday. Or was it our anniversary. They are on the same day, so it's hard to tell what I gave for which occasion.

Evidently, the NINJA has a flow meter because this morning it won't make coffee, it just beeps. I immediately searched the YOUTUBE and came up with hard water scales up the heating element or it could be the valve in the external plastic reservoir not filling the heated area fast enough. We don't have hard water. Matter of fact I'd put Memphis water out of the tap up against most bottled water. We have the best water I have ever tasted and it comes right out of the tap. Anyway, I finally come to the conclusion there is another valve on tap of the heated tank under the removable plastic tank. I monkey with that and run some hot vinegar thru it. It seems to have recovered its ability to brew. Of course, now I have to run it about 20 times to get the vinegar out of it.

I was about to get the $19.99 Mr. Coffee out of the attic because I have a back up plan, but the wife rolls in the kitchen, looks at the empty coffee pot and says, have you made coffee yet? I say, No, would you run to McD and get some breakfast.

She replied, hell no I aint going anywhere. I haven't had a shower, I don't have makeup on, I am not getting dressed. I said, oh, well the coffee pot is broken and I am trying to fix it. I probably need some more white vinegar to do an actual clean cycle on it. I turn around and she's gone.

She's walking out the door, saying F this, I am going to Starbucks, what do you want from McD! LOL

:doh:
Sooo my wife just bought another Ninja after ours started acting weird. When we packed up everythinng to evacuate I guess it got bumped wrong or something...no clue.

However I did find that there isnt much to these things
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Ninja+Coffee+Bar+CF086+Water+Heating+Element+Replacement/98487
i will say cleaning with vingar helps but takes almost three water cycles for the coffee to taste normal after the clean/rinse cycle.

Also you mentioned the beep, sometimes if the drip slide is on or slightly bumped it will beep and wont make coffee. Best of luck.

Sooooooo, that was a win?

Yes, I had already hit the brew cycle about 10 times and got ME a cup and she brought me a large black coffee from McD with a couple burritos. I ran 2 tanks of vinegar thru the clean cycle, 2 clean cycles with water just for rinse and about 5 brew cycles of water thru it. Hopefully it's good to go.

Sooo my wife just bought another Ninja after ours started acting weird. When we packed up everythinng to evacuate I guess it got bumped wrong or something...no clue.

However I did find that there isnt much to these things
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Ninja+Coffee+Bar+CF086+Water+Heating+Element+Replacement/98487
i will say cleaning with vingar helps but takes almost three water cycles for the coffee to taste normal after the clean/rinse cycle.

Also you mentioned the beep, sometimes if the drip slide is on or slightly bumped it will beep and wont make coffee. Best of luck.

I found out ours wasn't brewing because the water wasn't getting into the pot fast enough. There's a valve in the reservoir itself and one in the top of the machine under the reservoir. I used the air compressor and blew the one in the tank out but I could tell there wasn't anything in it.
I monkeyed with the one on top. At first water would come out of the machine when you pushed it down. I used a toothpick and mucked around the edge and must have dislodged something. When I ran my cleaning cycles I got some small rock looking particles. ANyway, everything seems to be well in the Ninja world now.

Ok, when you are doing something like this and verifying each circuit....in order to verify that circuit you have to remember to put the DANG FUSE in for that circuit. Let's back track.

Today I decided it would just be easier to remove the ds fender to make sure I get the wires routed out of the way and give me a LOT better access to the front of the fender apron right behind the head lights. I put a stud thru to make a ground point. I sanded both sides of the apron down and liberally applied dielectric grease. I put ground wires into ring terminals and heat shrink and put them on the stud.

So let's check the wiring outcome by playing baseball, shall we? The new thread title is in honor of Mr. Loaf. Meat Loaf.

I decided ok, let's test this before I go into routing and putting the wires into some loom. Headlights, low beams come on, flick the dimmer, nothing....by nothing I mean no high beams and low beams go out. I mess around checking things and realized I never tightened the grounds on the stud. Strike 1.

I try again, same thing. I check for voltage. I change relays, I check fuses. I get to tracing wires and the wire for the 2 headlight relays coil ground is sitting on the floor. Strike 2.

I attach a terminal and attach the coil ground to my stud. Low beams, check, high beams check. Single to left!

How about turn signals. Check! Flashers? Check! Single up the middle.

Marker lights. Check! But only the sides....the turn signal markers aren't working. Hard hit to 3rd, but runner forced out. 1 and 2nd 1 out.

Start to check fuses and waste 10 minutes before saying, let's consult the EVTM, runner on 1st picked off. 2 outs.

How can this be....the side markers and ts markers come off the same wire. Hold on, hmm, the ds looks like it has a burned filament. Got the volt meter...12.3 volts. Check the ps...yep TWO blown turn signal bulbs! I've dropped them and knocked them around so much I am not surprised they aren't physically broken. On top of that one is clear one is amber. Intentional Walk

Alright. Now it's time to score or end the inning.

Foglights. Nothing. Strike 1. Check the evtm and see which fusible link they were. Trace that wire to the fuse box thinking..aha, another fuse I forgot. Nope there's a good fuse. Strike 2.

Check to make certain I wired the power wire to my foglight harness, yep. Full count.

Remember that the fog light switch was kinda 'picky' about where it was actually on when you moved it, from last time I was driving it 3 years ago. So here's the pay off pitch. Strike 3 game over or a walk off double to left center???

:noesrun:

I firmly operated the foglight switch off and on about 10 times and could hear the relay start to click. Voila, foglights. Game over, I win today!!

:tu:

I guess I need to figure out if it is the fog-light switch or relay being picky. But that game is not on the current schedule.

IMG_20180930_130350.jpg
IMG_20180930_130352.jpg
IMG_20180930_151344.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Just kidding. ( No, actually I don't like baseball, but then again, I don't like any team sport regardless)

I also don't like tracing wiring headaches, but it has to be done sometimes. Good on you for figuring it out. Personally, I think you'll catch hell for the Chinese headlights, ( and trust me, I have them in the Monster) it just seems to me that nothing looks good in these cars except the incandescents that they come with from the factory. I know that to make my POS Halogen "angel eyes" work, I had to cut the headlight bucket all to hell, And even after all of that, they don't seem any brighter, and they don't look like no stinkin angel eyes anyway.

Junk.

Just kidding. ( No, actually I don't like baseball, but then again, I don't like any team sport regardless)

I also don't like tracing wiring headaches, but it has to be done sometimes. Good on you for figuring it out. Personally, I think you'll catch hell for the Chinese headlights, ( and trust me, I have them in the Monster) it just seems to me that nothing looks good in these cars except the incandescents that they come with from the factory. I know that to make my POS Halogen "angel eyes" work, I had to cut the headlight bucket all to hell, And even after all of that, they don't seem any brighter, and they don't look like no stinkin angel eyes anyway.

Junk.

At least in the garage these are bright as hell. I used to love all sports, mainly football and baseball. I couldn't stand the NBA. Now, I will mainly only sit and watch a college football game, an NBA game or a NHL game. NASCAR killed the golden goose. The NFL...it's not even the kneeling for me, although coming from a military family I don't like it. The level of play sucks. It's like watching Peewees that smoke dope, drive Ferrari's, and still can tackle, line up the formation right, or punt without a flag. Why even punt? Just do like Peewee, mark it off 40 yards. And the penalties...this roughing the passer crap. I saw pro flag football on ESPN a few months ago...this is where the NFL is headed.

ANYWAY

Yeah, I am trying to label and document all the wiring changes. One thing I thought of today is that electricity is like a drunk frat boy. It will find the ground. So I am thinking my low beams worked because they somehow grounded thru the turn signal bulbs. Maybe I manhandled them and broke them filaments, but that seems fishy. So I will get some new MATCHING turn signal bulbs and check it out.

Evidently @CarMichael Angelo and the Monster don't need em. So I am taking mine off too!

Actually looking at that picture makes me want to paint my calipers. But not red....they can't be red. What says @Davedacarpainter ?
What ever are you talking about? I need brakes. What I don't need is for the bolts that hold the brakes on to fall off.

Damn I am lazy and slow. I spent an hour looking at where all the wires are and holding up the inner fender line. Looks like everything clears or will clear with some encouragement, zip ties, cable clamps, and the application of a heat gun. I almost put a hole by my MSD box to route the wiring, but realizing it would come out right into the liner. So it took a while to work an alternate plan out. The wires will go thru the same hole as the wiring for the fuse box. It's not the most beautiful solution but it works. I connected up the coil connector and routed for the power and ground. Just to be safe I am grounding the MSD off to the frame rail by itself. I figure it's a pretty noisy electrical thing. I also order a power filter, which is fancy 10x cost speak for a capacitor to filter the power going to it...knock down any spikes. Maybe make it last longer.

I also got a Cool It express sleeve and wrapped up my harnesses that pass between the radiator and condenser, trimmed to fit and installed. I will use the remainder to put around my clutch cable. It's pretty close where the bracket that holds it off the frame is, so a little insurance is in order.

IMG_20181006_111120.jpg
IMG_20181006_112843.jpg
IMG_20181006_153413.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Weather is amazing...it was 93 Tuesday and 46 yesterday morning! Went to dirt track races last night. Qualifying rounds at Riverside Speedway in West Memphis for tonight's USCS Fall Nats but it is supposed to start raining, so already rescheduled. So I am taking advantage of the wife being out and the weather.

As I was catching up on @a91what build thread...amazing work. I saw him mention solder seals. I've never heard of them. And I just HAD to have them. So Amazon Prime to the resue. If you're not familiar with them, they are solder and heat shrink in one. Can be applied with just a heat gun. I have been wiring my fuse box in by using bare metal crimps, crimping 2 times on each side, then applying solder thru the hole in the center of the crimp and to the ends. I know it's rock solid, but time consuming and next to impossible to do 10g or thicker with the soldering iron. Pretty much have to use a mini butane torch.

But can you really get a good solder with just a heat gun. Without actually applying heat to the wires and having the solder wick in. I got mine yesterday and decided to check it out. I used the strip the ends then push them into each other, then twist together method. I used my heat gun for a good 40 seconds or more to get as much heat in as I could. You can see the shrink tube shrink and the solder melt. I cut off all the shrink tube and tried to pull apart. I can't.

But is the connection really solid? If you take solder and drip off the soldering iron onto your wire, it doesn't penetrate, is a poor connection and is called a cold solder. Expected to fail.

These are mechanically bonded pretty damn tight, but cutting the joint open shows no solder penetrated. So is this a cold joint? Is this bound for failure? Has anyone used for long time on something with a decent amount of current? I'm on the fence.

I did make a video showing the soldering melting. The quality of the heat shrink is top notch and it has a blue ring on each side of the joint that melt and look like they totally seal the joint. I also used solder flux, hoping that may help the solder flow.

And yes I am 100% sure the solder didn't flow, because I can take needle nose and fairly easily pull strands out of the center of the joint. I am wondering if most of the pull a part bond is just the heat shrink?

Solder Seals

I'm about to go Nuclear Google on these things. But if anyone has some factual experience, I would love to hear it.

Thoughts, ideas, comments, donations welcome!!

IMG_20181013_123004.jpg
IMG_20181013_123451.jpg
IMG_20181013_123601.jpg
IMG_20181013_124408.jpg
IMG_20181013_124829.jpg