• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-

Best Oil

  • Thread starter Thread starter Curtissickk
  • Start date Start date Aug 12, 2014

Curtissickk

Member
Aug 10, 2014
23
2
13
Mcleansville NC
Aug 12, 2014
#1
  • Aug 12, 2014
  • #1
Hey guys! I need to get my oil changed pretty soon. What's your thoughts on the best oil. I know alot of people have gone synthetic which is more expensive. What do you think?
Thanks!
 
R

racerraj

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
493
32
39
Dickson, TN
Aug 12, 2014
#2
  • Aug 12, 2014
  • #2
I favor synthetic. On my old 5.0 Fox body I pulled the valve covers at 266,000 miles. Everything was clean as could be in there. That car was driven hard and sat in a LOT of heavy traffic. But.. today's oils are all good. If you change as often as suggested, pretty much any current oils can get you past 200,000 miles without issue.

By the way, I use Mobil 1. Just because it is easy to find anywhere and priced fair.
 

echo7

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
706
41
59
FL
Aug 29, 2014
#3
  • Aug 29, 2014
  • #3
I do Mobil 1 full synthetic as well, usually 5-7k miles on the old V6. Now I guess I'll go down to 10% oil life or so on the new GT. We'll see. I drive about 10k miles a year, so not even 2 oil changes a year @ about $35-$40 isn't that big of deal to do it with good quality stuff. And I do it myself to know it's done right, and not with who knows what oil a shop would use.
 

SpartaPerformance

10 Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
2,517
61
89
Long Island NY
Aug 29, 2014
#4
  • Aug 29, 2014
  • #4
I LOVE Royal Purple
 

Mark25

Member
Jul 30, 2006
93
0
6
Virginia Beach, VA
Aug 30, 2014
#5
  • Aug 30, 2014
  • #5
Motorcraft's semi-synthetic (factory fill) is the best...reasonable price and it works well.
 

1 Alibi 2

Active Member
Aug 2, 2014
219
16
28
Hackettstown, N.J.
Sep 2, 2014
#6
  • Sep 2, 2014
  • #6
I would use a full synthetic in whatever weight Ford recommends for your car.
Napa & other auto parts stores run sales from time to time.
 

k1DBLITZ

Previously known as gotven0m
Founding Member
Nov 29, 2000
899
6
39
Tulsa, OK
Sep 24, 2014
#7
  • Sep 24, 2014
  • #7
I'm surprised you haven't caught a bunch of flack for using the phrase "Best Oil" as opposed to "Preferred Oil".

I use Mobil1 5w-30 Extended Performance. (the one with the gold cap)

I read on a forum somewhere that only the Extended Performance oil from Mobil is true synthetic by the worlds standards. Something about how US regulations allow conventional or mixed oil to be marketed and sold as synthetic if it meets some specified guideline.

Don't know if it's true or not....
 

earleys94gt

Active Member
Aug 31, 2003
1,223
16
49
Ashley, Ohio
Oct 1, 2014
#8
  • Oct 1, 2014
  • #8
I would use a full synthetic in whatever weight Ford recommends for your car.
Click to expand...
This.

Or, for the Best Oil, AmsOil
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...00-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ALMQT-EA
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ended-life-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=XLMQT-EA
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
566
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
Need help ordering a oil cooler and filter relocation kit but don't know what I need
  • Aiden Brown
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
79
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sep 14, 2026
squeak93
Oil choice for after break in period.
  • Sask84gt
  • Feb 28, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
26
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 14, 2026
Praetorious
P
Engine Looking for suggestions and or ideas
  • PonyGTrider
  • Aug 25, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
476
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
PonyGTrider
Engine Oil leaking
  • greenflash79
  • Apr 1, 2026
  • 2007 - 2014 Shelby GT500 Tech
Replies
4
Views
309
2007 - 2014 Shelby GT500 Tech Apr 6, 2026
greenflash79
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?