Best Sounding H Pipe and Muffler to buy for BBK Long Tube Headers (1994 Mustang Gt 5 Speed)

Just got my car restored about almost a year ago it's a 1994 mustang gt (157k miles) and all I got so far done to it was a muffler delete, short-throw shifter, and just got new 3.73 gears installed. But I am looking for the best budget-friendly exhaust system possible but also pretty good. The plan right now is to buy the BBK long tube headers ceramic coated and get the BBK catted h pipe but it is pretty overpriced I heard does anyone have any good suggestions? I also need a good muffler that is loud but not obnoxiously loud.

• Sponsors (?)

Off-the-shelf long tube header and mid-pipe options are very limited for SN95 5.0s now. You might consider shorties for more options. It doesn't help that the few remaining mid-pipes with cats just jumped about 50% in price.

There are still a lot of options for cat-back exhaust systems, but they are climbing in price fast. It just depends on what muffler sound you prefer and how much you want to spend.

Off-the-shelf long tube header and mid-pipe options are very limited for SN95 5.0s now. You might consider shorties for more options. It doesn't help that the few remaining mid-pipes with cats just jumped about 50% in price.

There are still a lot of options for cat-back exhaust systems, but they are climbing in price fast. It just depends on what muffler sound you prefer and how much you want to spend.
He prefers “loud but not obnoxiously loud”.
You know, only audible from 6 blocks away...

* says the guy that already deleted his muffler... :nonono:

He prefers “loud but not obnoxiously loud”.
You know, only audible from 6 blocks away...

* says the guy that already deleted his muffler... :nonono:
The muffler delete was only because I did not have a lot of money to mod my car since I'm a broke college kid so I had to start somewhere haha. What I was asking really is what muffler would pair best with bbk longtubes, and bbk catted h pipe since o/r h pipes are not sold anymore.

The muffler delete was only because I did not have a lot of money to mod my car since I'm a broke college kid so I had to start somewhere haha. What I was asking really is what muffler would pair best with bbk longtubes, and bbk catted h pipe since o/r h pipes are not sold anymore.
The best muffler to get with any set of headers whether they be long tube or shorties, are ones that actually do the job they are designed to do.

Hence the word “ muffler”.

In reality just get some Walker muffler like a turbo or similar, frankly I can't see spending a lot of money on mufflers, I would do tail pipes too, keep the sound outside instead of under the car like 'dumps'.

Here are the factors that you need to consider when making your choice, both objective and subjective:

1) Sound preference and noise level
2) Material / durability
3) Ease of instillation / fit
4) Comparability with future mods
5) Cost

The first one is very subjective. YouTube and car events can help you determine what you like. Some guys like the deep sound of straight through mufflers or glasspacks, some like the tinny sound of chambered mufflers. Some people like drone, some don't. Some of us need to be able to start their cars in the morning without waking up their sleeping kids and the rest of the neighborhood, some want to wake up everyone in a 1/2 mile radius. I think some people here can give you objective input on the noise level aspect, especially if you still want to hear your radio when it's done. Also, keep in mind that engines get a lot louder as they start moving more air. If you plan to add heads/cam later, a borderline noise level system with a stock engine may be intolerable with a built motor. You stated that you're running cats, and they can reduce the noise level significantly, so if yo uwant "loud" you will have to pair up a louder system.

#2 and #5 play together. I like stainless because of the durability factor. I want to buy something once and never worry about it again. If this is a daily driver in a snow belt state, you might consider stainless (+$$$) as a critical factor over an aluminized system. It all depends on the use case and if you have to deal with salted roads in winter seasons.

Number three can be important depending on your budget and tools available. You don't want to shell out your bucks on a "bolt-on" system and have to drop an extra $100+ for a shop to make it fit. Read lots of reviews or get input from people who have the system you're considering before you buy. (I'll never forget the JC Whitney exhaust system my buddy in college bought for his '69 fastback - NOT EVEN CLOSE.) Lots of people here can provide feedback on this point. Talk to the distributors like LMR for recommendations on cat-backs or if you're piecing mufflers, tails, and flow tubes together. They don't want you to return their parts, so it's in their best interest to provide a good recommendation based on your build and their general customer feedback.

Not all systems are routed the same. Some follow the factory path, some use slightly different routing for larger diameter pipe / smoother bends. For example, If you plan on installing an MM panhard bar later, Flowmaster is the only aftermarket brand they state will fit without modifications to the tailpipes. Not a huge point but something to consider.

Number 5 rules them all. However, a cheap system can become an low-quality expensive system if you have to modify it or end up taking it to a shop to make it work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here are the factors that you need to consider when making your choice, both objective and subjective:

1) Sound preference and noise level
2) Material / durability
3) Ease of instillation / fit
4) Comparability with future mods
5) Cost

The first one is very subjective. YouTube and car events can help you determine what you like. Some guys like the deep sound of straight through mufflers or glasspacks, some like the tinny sound of chambered mufflers. Some people like drone, some don't. Some of us need to be able to start their cars in the morning without waking up their sleeping kids and the rest of the neighborhood, some want to wake up everyone in a 1/2 mile radius. I think some people here can give you objective input on the noise level aspect, especially if you still want to hear your radio when it's done. Also, keep in mind that engines get a lot louder as they start moving more air. If you plan to add heads/cam later, a borderline noise level system with a stock engine may be intolerable with a built motor. You stated that you're running cats, and they can reduce the noise level significantly, so if yo uwant "loud" you will have to pair up a louder system.

#2 and #5 play together. I like stainless because of the durability factor. I want to buy something once and never worry about it again. If this is a daily driver in a snow belt state, you might consider stainless (+$$$) as a critical factor over an aluminized system. It all depends on the use case and if you have to deal with salted roads in winter seasons.

Number three can be important depending on your budget and tools available. You don't want to shell out your bucks on a "bolt-on" system and have to drop an extra $100+ for a shop to make it fit. Read lots of reviews or get input from people who have the system you're considering before you buy. (I'll never forget the JC Whitney exhaust system my buddy in college bought for his '69 fastback - NOT EVEN CLOSE.) Lots of people here can provide feedback on this point. Talk to the distributors like LMR for recommendations on cat-backs or if you're piecing mufflers, tails, and flow tubes together. They don't want you to return their parts, so it's in their best interest to provide a good recommendation based on your build and their general customer feedback.

Not all systems are routed the same. Some follow the factory path, some use slightly different routing for larger diameter pipe / smoother bends. For example, If you plan on installing an MM panhard bar later, Flowmaster is the only aftermarket brand they state will fit without modifications to the tailpipes. Not a huge point but something to consider.

Number 5 rules them all. However, a cheap system can become an low-quality expensive system if you have to modify it or end up taking it to a shop to make it work.
Thank you very much for this information and I live in a very hot state so stainless would most likely be the way to go. Thanks again!

If I had to do it again I would have no problem with regular mufflers. Like some have said in the past. With the price of some now I would consider a regular stuff. I got mine years ago when it was expensive , but not like now. I have BBK shorties,Bassani X, Flowmaster 40's with shiny tails. Be ready for louder, but people love it. I get complements even from the girls at Chick Fil A.

I've had lots of exhaust combos on my Mustang and spent a fortune to find what I was looking for. Easily over three grand.

I would suggest SLP X and the SLP II combo. Budget yet still good I would look to BBK x pipe and SLP II though Borla Stype r not bad either. SLP II are not loud and people automatically think they are because of the SLP I. Don't fall into that bandwagon. I've had the full SLP exhaust on my Mustang. Long tubes, x pipe with and without cats, and SLP II sounded great.

The kid in this vid fell into the bandwagon of SLP's are very loud though he found a good exhaust set up. One of which I mentioned. Hope this helps

I've had lots of exhaust combos on my Mustang and spent a fortune to find what I was looking for. Easily over three grand.

I would suggest SLP X and the SLP II combo. Budget yet still good I would look to BBK x pipe and SLP II though Borla Stype r not bad either. SLP II are not loud and people automatically think they are because of the SLP I. Don't fall into that bandwagon. I've had the full SLP exhaust on my Mustang. Long tubes, x pipe with and without cats, and SLP II sounded great.

The kid in this vid fell into the bandwagon of SLP's are very loud though he found a good exhaust set up. One of which I mentioned. Hope this helps

You can't compare 2v and push rod stuff, two different animals
JMO of course