Build Thread Bird_dog0347's Frankenstang, sure is nice of us to build a car around the fuel filler door

It always amazes me how much work hacks are willing to put in doing it wrong. :doh:
Is that the car I'm saving the back glass for?
Don't think so... @95steedamustang just scored my back glass this week (not listed in the update) and it's a nice piece, once the tint mess is fully cleaned off. But if you have a nice back glass for sale for a coupe I assure you Kevin would be interested, and if he isn't I am.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, Kevin has been a busy boy this week! He managed to get the T Top frame test fit, and to no one's surprise his cuts were exactly correct and it fits perfectly. He also managed to get the passenger rear fender replaced with the one from the donor car and shot it with epoxy. Next up will be the driver's A pillar and rocker to repair the rust in those areas.

ErLaaWt.jpg

QaO0zXh.jpg

MH0dyer.jpg

zCoZBUf.jpg

• Loved It!
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I vote you're gonna do the clip
Yup... that's the plan. It's faster and easier than fixing all this mess and you'll never know it was done. Plus the cowl has damage I'm guessing from the hood flying up at some point, but it's only dented in on the driver's side and not the passenger side.
epu75PQ.jpg

5L9u3KL.jpg

o3iDb2q.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Well Kevin had another busy week with the Frankenstang and the shell is now rust free, and free of crappy "repair" jobs. Since we had a complete and almost perfect front clip from the donor car (the cowl wasn't perfect) and there was a ton that would have to be replaced due to rust or damage on mine, Kevin just swapped the whole front clips. He did have to swap the cowl with a good one he had on hand though as well as the core support, but other than that it's all from the donor. He also replaced the whole driver's lower rocker panel as it also had rust issues. You can't even tell they were replaced though as it's all done to look like the factory with the factory looking spot welds.

Next up will be getting the doors (the red one in the pics is just one he had laying around), fenders, hood (which I will likely have to sell and buy a cowl to get the engine to clear it), and bumpers test fit and make sure the gaps will be good... then it will get the engine bay smoothed from the shock towers forward and finalize the T-Top frame install.

At this point, the only original untouched parts of my car will be the back half of the roof, the passenger door and front fender, and the fuel filler door. :O_o:

IZRnPgN.jpg

A4lcYKl.jpg

FUjThV7.jpg

3IE9CAu.jpg

The Rocker
r8hCl3w.jpg

j1Mc7Tq.jpg

jd40o3V.jpg

kC1GH2M.jpg

5L9u3KL.jpg

Door Jamb
epu75PQ.jpg

cAQQnf5.jpg

JCen0BZ.jpg

I'd say we got our money's worth out of the donor, I think I paid like $800 for it plus whatever time for Kevin to go pick it up... this was all that was left and went to scrap.

r4SDAwn.jpg

qR9VieY.jpg

In the last couple of weeks Kevin was able to get the driver's side door, front and rear fenders, and trunk lid aligned and gaps worked on. He and I discussed my previous floor pan repair that was documented on page 12 of this thread... while a good solid repair that would last for another 30-50 years easy given it's storage conditions, I felt it wasn't acceptable to have that repair easily identified when all of Kevin's work was made to look 100% factory correct. Thus, he also fixed my B- repair job with his usual A++ work. Next up will be the sandblasting of all the undercarriage, engine bay, and any yet to be explored parts so we are 100% sure it's a straight clean shell. I also ordered the Cervini's Terminator style heat extractor hood for clearance of the 97 Cobra engine (and the looks).

38snnw7.jpg

On6DuBA.jpg

zCXLBAt.jpg

0pKgPQy.jpg

CaNERRe.jpg

V1ckv63.jpg

Reactions: 2 users