Black Jack: Road trip! Home from the eclipse in Ohio. 24mpg!!

I put the car on a dyno today and will post the results. I was only looking at the AFR to make sure that it wasn't running lean. It wasn't. With the motor hot, it ran 12.8-13.2 range and 260 rwhp. Cold, I saw it run as high as 13.5:1, and 271rwhp.
I just ran across this and the results look just about the same to me. When I took the car in for a dyno, last month, it also made 260rwhp hot. Different dynos/different days, but if the T56 actually cost any power, that's not clear from this comparison.

TMOSS/MMOSS is porting the GT40 lower for me, now. I've got the DCC controller at the house, now, and a lead on a Mk8 fan. Maybe after putting those on & reinstalling the U/D pullies, we can pick up 20 rwhp?

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Innovate WB O2 sensor fizzled out:
As you can see above, my first drive with my Innovate MTX-L WB gauge & O2 sensors was 25 February. On Mon-Tue on the way into work, just one month after install, my Innovate WB gauge read "E8", an error code that indicated something wrong with the O2 sensor. WTF?! They're supposed to last 10 years in OEM applications. These sensors (LSU 4.9) are a little different than the LSU 4.2s that I use in my Big Stuff 3. So, I ordered new sensors.

I've always heard that Bosch is the quality sensor to go with. So, I decided to see if it would be compatible. Turns out, they're the exact same part, same connector, but with a $20 difference in price. Now, the interesting thing is that buying from Bosch is more expensive than buying it from Innovate. I hesitate to post, because someone's going to chime in that they're $25 on Rock Auto, but in this case I checked & they're actually $69.99 + $13.99 shipping. So same total cost as the Innovate from Summit. So, ha! Beat ya to it.

Hope this helps someone in the future:
1711731682487.png

1711731541659.png

As to addressing the premature failure, I bought this. I guess we'll see what happens:
1711731789177.png

The only possible explanation I can think of is that I used shorter bungs, because the gauge only came with 1, I wanted a bung on each tube, and those are the 2 that were available to me. They're welded into the mid-pipe. So, plenty distant from the chamber. Hopefully the finned "Heat Sink Bung Extender" will keep the sensor cool enough to protect it.

A couple of quick thoughts:

Did you mount your O2 sensor between 9 and 3 O'clock in the pipe? 12:00 is the best spot. One of the biggest things that kills O2 sensors is water, especially after a cold start if the sensor is heated all of the way up and the pipes are cold (lots of condensation along the pipe walls in the exhaust). This can be plausible if you're running long tubes and the sensor is mounted in the mid-pipe, because it takes some time for the pipe walls to heat up enough to prevent condensation. If you mount the sensor between 9 and 3, then there is less chance for it to be hit with water droplets, but they can still get picked up by the exhaust flow.

Do you know how hot your exhaust gas is getting? The only time I've seen properly mounted O2 sensors fail like that is in hard-core road race conditions where the EGTs exceed 950°C at the sensor for a long period of time. This usually only happens when the sensor is located very close to the header collector with shorties. Glowing red pipes would be a good indicator. The other way to get the EGTs that hot would be ignition timing that's way-late, but your car will also drive like a slug with super late timing, so that's probably not the situation in your case.

Have you called Innovate? I remember in the past there were a ton of counterfeit sensors dumped on the market for super cheap and they failed in the 1 to 3 month usage range. It seemed like a lot of the Lambda meter suppliers picked these up at the time. Unfortunately, the aftermarket doesn't have the same quality standards as the OEMs, so you never really know what you're going to get in terms of quality. The counterfeits also included cheap EV1 injectors - there were green-top 42 lbers listed on Ebay for $20 / each. These were definitely NOT made by Denso or Bosch. Both of these parts are rather scary since a failure from either one could take out your engine in short order. I think you made a good move ordering from a reliable source.

In either case, once you get the new sensor, I strongly suggest re-checking your tune to make sure the original sensor was reading correctly at the time. If it was bad, going bad, or a counterfeit, then you could have some Lambda measurement offset in your engine calibration. A potentially very frustrating situation.

Good luck with the new part!

A couple of quick thoughts:
Damn! Thank you for the considerable thinking and writing you put into it for me.
Did you mount your O2 sensor between 9 and 3 O'clock in the pipe? 12:00 is the best spot. One of the biggest things that kills O2 sensors is water, especially after a cold start if the sensor is heated all of the way up and the pipes are cold (lots of condensation along the pipe walls in the exhaust). This can be plausible if you're running long tubes and the sensor is mounted in the mid-pipe, because it takes some time for the pipe walls to heat up enough to prevent condensation. If you mount the sensor between 9 and 3, then there is less chance for it to be hit with water droplets, but they can still get picked up by the exhaust flow.
Yeah, I'd estimate it's mounted at about the 2, which is about the best I can do in the mid-pipe. Yeah, I have the BBK LTs and there's no room elsewhere. Might go to a custom Kooks setup for the next combo and will keep this in mind.
Do you know how hot your exhaust gas is getting? The only time I've seen properly mounted O2 sensors fail like that is in hard-core road race conditions where the EGTs exceed 950°C at the sensor for a long period of time. This usually only happens when the sensor is located very close to the header collector with shorties. Glowing red pipes would be a good indicator. The other way to get the EGTs that hot would be ignition timing that's way-late, but your car will also drive like a slug with super late timing, so that's probably not the situation in your case.
Can't be that bad back at the mid-pipe, but the heat-sink bung should help with that. No idea if it'll help or hurt the condensation. Timing's too advanced in the mid-range at light throttle, as I hear a bit of detonation. I'm running around 17* base timing on a stock A9L. It's doing great at WOT, though. I will address this soon with my upcoming quarterhorse install.

Have you called Innovate? I remember in the past there were a ton of counterfeit sensors dumped on the market for super cheap and they failed in the 1 to 3 month usage range. It seemed like a lot of the Lambda meter suppliers picked these up at the time. Unfortunately, the aftermarket doesn't have the same quality standards as the OEMs, so you never really know what you're going to get in terms of quality. The counterfeits also included cheap EV1 injectors - there were green-top 42 lbers listed on Ebay for $20 / each. These were definitely NOT made by Denso or Bosch. Both of these parts are rather scary since a failure from either one could take out your engine in short order. I think you made a good move ordering from a reliable source.
Yeah, I don't play around with amazon & ebay. Sometime I will with FB marketplace, but I still try to validate the part with research and close examination. I've all but decided I won't do electronics there, anymore. I've been shafted too frequently. Another rule is paypal with buyer's protection on purchases, but never on sales. Don't care if it's hypocritical. The difference is I won't use it unethically. Thanks for the heads up on EV1 injectors. A while back, before I swore stuff off, I got a set of red top FMS 30-lbs injectors. The bodies match identically, and they came in a rough, old Ford box. I think they're real, but they may be the last set I buy for 2 reasons now. Counterfeits are the first. The 2nd is that I've been reading and chatting with folks who say the more modern high impedence Deka 80's can control low pulse width very accurately, compared to the older stuff. That would allow for E85 in my future, potentially. I might pull out all the tricks one day for a glory run on the upcoming build.

In either case, once you get the new sensor, I strongly suggest re-checking your tune to make sure the original sensor was reading correctly at the time. If it was bad, going bad, or a counterfeit, then you could have some Lambda measurement offset in your engine calibration. A potentially very frustrating situation.

Good luck with the new part!
Put the new sensor and bung in yesterday. Stock tune looks identical. There was no feedback from the MTX-L or its sensor to the stock computer. When I start tuning with the quarterhorse, I will be the feedback mechanism, but I'll also verify the AFR and timing by reading the plugs.

Reactions: 1 user
New weatherstipping for both doors & the hatch are installed. The old stuff had 0.5-1" gaps at the ends and was torn/worn in a couple spots. Hoping that helps keep more of the exhaust smell out of the car.

Last night, I swapped the gear oil in the diff. Apparently, the Truetrac wants it done after a 500 mile break in. Didn't get it done quite that quickly, because life... but I probably knocked it out at about 1k miles. The whine might just've cleared up. Too early to tell.

Black jack got me safely to Ohio ~500 miles away from home. I'm gonna go watch the eclipse at the ski resort mom used to instruct at.

View: https://youtu.be/LWsIkzVWNZU?si=SL6L6AhOykrW5QvQ

Edit: The weather stripping definitely helps keep the exhaust smell out of the car. Before, I'd run the fan on at least the 2nd setting to keep positive pressure in the cabin. Now, I don't have to run the fan at all.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Loved it. Mom's place was in the totality path too, but the place we went was in totality for 3 min 44 secs. It's the most "pics can't do it justice" thing I've ever seen. It's the build up, the 1-2 hr partial eclipse experience, the drop in temps, change in winds, light drops immensely only in that final minute before totality, animals spaz, planets come back out (saw Jupiter & Venus), and pretty incredible to see the corona of the sun while seeing the silhouette of the moon. Plus being with family and enjoying it together. I was with folks in their 60s who had never seen one. The next one in North America will be in 2045.

So, yeah, definitely worth the trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just got home. Guys, honestly wasn't trying at all and pulled down 2 tanks at 23mpg and 1 tank at 24mpg. Didn't have the patience to chill. I was driving pretty aggressively around the left lane lurkers with several/many blasts to 90 mph.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Black Jack can really do when the electric fan is in, which won't need to run on the hwy, and I try out the U/Ds again. Combined with driving 55-65 only and staying in 6th gear, I'm wondering if I can pull 30 outta the car. Maybe that's a stretch. Maybe not!

I was driving pretty aggressively around the left lane lurkers with several/many blasts to 90 mph.
It amazes me the amount of really bad drivers on the road nowadays......
Bentley and I were going to get a Toyhauler, load up the harley in it, and see America.... Those plans changed with the last few trips I made around the country.. No thanks, I am not going to fight it....
I guess when there are a couple of Million more people on the road than when I was younger what do you expect..
Yep I am old, but I got to see some neat stuff before everything went to sh!t.......

It's really bad. For some reason, it is tough to stay chill in a car. Folks are so discourteous to each other, and for some reason, so many take getting passed or out accelerated personally. So many will pull out in front of you intentionally. So many will drive wrecklessly and start honking, swerving, yelling, if they have imagined some slight. This is a weird quirk of human psychology. Even in my own family, folks who are mild tempered turn into angry monsters when they drive.

Unmet expectations are the most common source of stress and frustration. You know, like when you're in the passing lane, and the guy in front of you, with no one to his right, refuses to get over the way you would, assuming you would ride the left lane to begin with. Or, whatever your pet-peeve is. I tend not to get upset with folks anymore, or at 1/10th the frequency of my youth, because I've just come to expect that they are terrible, discourteous, and cell-phone addicted. It makes it easier to let go when I know it's going to happen. If I'm not taking it easy, then I just flow like water around the obstacles, or set the cruise slow enough (maybe 5 mph below the flow of traffic always in the right-most lane). And that is my go-to when someone crazy wants to mix it up with ya. They almost never want to slow to less than the speed limit when they're angry. They don't have the patience for it. I just slow down and let 'em go.

Lotta folks do get mad at me, though. Mostly, it's because I passed them while they were waiting for the oblivious guy at the front of the 10-car train in the left lane, while I just cruise by and get on with my business. If they tighten up to block me, fine. I'll find a spot somewhere. It's not a fight, and I have no ego about it.

After living there for 5 years, I would be 100% in support changing the American licensing approach to the Germany way. They train for a long time, spend a year driving with an instructor, and spend a lot of money to get their license. So, they really care and take pride in driving well. It shows on their highways. So much more courteous. So much safer. One big take away from Germany: the zipper-merge. It's so easy... Use both lanes all the way to the point of merge, and then one car at a time from alternating lanes. See? No need to leave a lane open for 1/2 mile. No way for someone to sneak past everyone instead of waiting their turn. Just use the available lanes, and be courteous to the guy in the other lane when it's his turn to merge.

/rant

Last edited:
It's really bad. For some reason, it is tough to stay chill in a car. Folks are so discourteous to each other, and for some reason, so many take getting passed or out accelerated personally. So many will pull out in front of you intentionally. So many will drive wrecklessly and start honking, swerving, yelling, if they have imagined some slight. This is a wierd quirk of human psychology. Even in my own family, folks who are mild tempered turn into angry monsters when they drive.

I notice the same stuff. Everyone drive's like they are late for their first child's birth, all just to go do some meaningless task. Delay them by 1/2 a second though and they get pissed for no good reason.

I changed my driving habits a lot after kids. I used to be a left lane bandit but now I just park myself in the 2nd most lefthand lane and just match traffic. Haven't had many issues with folks but always watch people in the left lane get so pissed off about nothing. Two cars will be doing 80 but someone will want to do 80.25MPH and has to barrel over two lanes to the right to cut back over and get in front of those cars. It's just not worth it.

• Haha