Engine Blown intake gasket or head gasket?

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
Hard 3rd gear pull, large cloud of smoke out the tailpipes. Pulled over and it blew oil out my valve cover breather and was obviously pressurizing the crankcase. I would puff smoke out the breather as it sat and idled. Checked the oil, no water in it. Drove it home and pulled passenger valve cover and plugs, everything looked ok. It was low on water though, but never overheated. So I'm thinking head gasket or intake gasket? You can hear the leak when I crank it, but I can't tell where it's coming from.
Car is '89 with 306, Y303 aluminum heads, B cam, Vortech V3, Cobra intake running on Megasquirt.

• Sponsors (?)

Thats no bueno... Your going to want to assume its an head gasket. but maybe the intake gasket will show that its the problem.

Now does it idle high if/ when it runs?? I think it would with a leak large enough to hear.

Smoke out the breather kinda worries me. but mine did that all the time.

Thats no bueno... Your going to want to assume its an head gasket. but maybe the intake gasket will show that its the problem.

Now does it idle high if/ when it runs?? I think it would with a leak large enough to hear.

Smoke out the breather kinda worries me. but mine did that all the time.

It runs and idles. Don't see any water in the oil. I made a video with the valve cover off and cranking it, you can hear the leak. I tried to post the video, but it won't let me. I'll email it to you. What head gaskets you recommend? Cometic? Are these the right ones? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ions/make/ford/year/1989/engine-size/5-0l-302.

On a good note, I borrowed an MSD blaster coil from a friend and I think it fixed my missfire :)

That gap between the head and the block is supposed to have head gasket in it. Pretty sure that's the problem. :mad:
InkedIMG_0927_LI.jpg

ok, now we need to figure out why. i didnt see any detonation on the plugs and we pulled some timing out in the last tune.....
I'm a little suspicious of how this motor was rebuilt. Some of the things I've found don't look like whoever did it took a lot of care in how it was done. I'm going to get some Cometic gaskets and ARP studs coming to get it going again, then start looking at some options to pull it this winter and drop something a little more reliable in.

Have you thought about decking the block and heads too? It’s a good measure even if it’s just a few thousandths cut off. If you decide to do any decking / milling, hold off on the ordering of Cometics until the machine work is done. Cometics can be ordered in varying thickness to adjust for any milling that gets done.

Have you thought about decking the block and heads too? It’s a good measure even if it’s just a few thousandths cut off. If you decide to do any decking / milling, hold off on the ordering of Cometics until the machine work is done. Cometics can be ordered in varying thickness to adjust for any milling that gets done.
Don't plan on having any work done if everything looks ok when I get the heads off. The wife and I already have tickets and rooms for the Sturgis Mustang rally and I need to get it running. I did order a set of head gaskets, they are 4.100 bore .075 thick Cometics. Now I'm wondering if I ordered the right ones. Here's the link.......
https://www.jegs.com/i/Cometic-Gaskets/245/C5514-075/10002/-1

Maybe you should slap some cheaper standard gaskets back on there for the show and just take it easy. Then go back in later and cover all the bases really good. The Cometics really depend on a near perfect surface to work good.

Cometics are made to order too. Mine took a few weeks when I ordered them.

Maybe you should slap some cheaper standard gaskets back on there for the show and just take it easy. Then go back in later and cover all the bases really good. The Cometics really depend on a near perfect surface to work good.

Cometics are made to order too. Mine took a few weeks when I ordered them.

Took your advise and ordered some ford head gaskets to get me through the summer, then I'll figure out what I'm going to do this winter. Head and cylinders look ok. Going to clean everything up and put it back together. Whats a good way to clean the heads and block? I've heard not to use scotch brite pads, of is that BS?
IMG_0928.JPG

@a91what . I have a BBK fuel pressure regulator. I'm wondering if this is a good regulator for boosted applications. It was set to 40psi with vacuum off and plugged, when connected it would drop slightly but stay steady. When you blip the throttle it would drop and then come back up. Bad or going bad regulator? What's a good one for boosted application? While it's apart , might as well change it if it's junk. Thoughts?