brain fart after 3 yrs 3grand car runs but white smoke idles high!! please help

i just got my car running after all my mods but the exhaust is pouring out white smoke....when i hooked up my Cobra intake i hooked it right back up not paying attention to the coolant line going right into the intake because the stock one has the coolant line going to the same spot on the intake for cooling the egr spacer or whatever. i ran the car last year a bunch of times before i figured out that was the problem so i drained the oil added new ran for a couple minutes then drained and added good stuff again there isnt any coolant or moisture on the dip stick so i dont think it could be a head gasket as they are brand new along with my cobra gt40 heads...how long til it stops smoking and could it be that the new mass air computer is still trying to learn the mods? and is that why it idles at like 2500 it will drop to about 1800 ocassionally but how long does it typically take for the computer to learn mods and for crap to burn out the tail pipes and such??? any help or criticism is welcome BIG BRAIN FART so please help???

• Sponsors (?)

You can be burning coolant and not be getting any in the oil. I would check compression to see if you have a low cylinder. Another thing you can do is run the car with the rad cap off and the rad full and see if there are bubbles coming out in the coolant. Once the cooling system is bled you should see no bubbles unless you have exhaust getting into the coolant.

My car took a good 15 to 20 minutes to clear all the condensation out of the exhaust system after sitting since Nov of last year. I wasn't in a big hurry to get my H/C/I project done. It did make me a little nervous at first but after about 10 minutes the steam started to clear out.

The computer should have the idle down to normal after about 2 minutes. It sounds like the cable or the throttle blade is hanging up somewhere. Disconnect the idle air controller and see of the idle comes down. If it does then you have a problem in the electronics somewhere. If it doesn't then you have a problem with the cable or blade.

Was there coolant in the oil at some point - that seems to be what you had indicated since you drained and refilled it a couple of times. Also did you hook up a coolant line (from the EGR spacer) to one of the vacuum lines on the intake by mistake so you were now dumping coolant down the intake? Did I get that right? If so, your car is probably royally f'ed up. If there was coolant in the oil and you ran it for any length of time, there's a good chance the bearings are wiped out in the engine. If the car is "pouring white smoke" you likely have a blown head gasket, new or not.
The suggestions given above are good ones. Check for bubbles in the coolant with the radiator cap off. If there are no bubbles, get a hydrocarbon test kit from the auto parts store and check for signs of oil in the coolant = blown head gasket. Compression test may help narrow it down some.
From what you have posted, it seems like you probably need to start from scratch. At a minimum the heads should probably come off and checked to make sure they aren't warped and that the deck is true. Really should check your main/rod bearings after having coolant in the oil if the engine has been run at all.

Good luck. I hope I'm wrong, but what you describe doesn't sound good at all.

I made the mistake of forgetting the gasket on my spacer that the coolant runs through after pulling the intake. It smoked white until I figured it out. Then I fixed it and it still was smoking. After replacing the head gaskets I was fine. Im thinking I flooded the cylinders with coolant so fast that it raised the compression and popped the gasket. The same may have happened to you.

will i screw anything up any further if i just run it and try to clear the exhaust cause last year before i parked it for the winter it was shooting out til i took the line off now i'm running it and its not shooting out the exhause just white smoke should i still be worried?

i had this exact same problem with my cobra intake when i put it on and i never found out the real problem i put the stock one back on and everything was fine again. i thought i had a slipped intake gasket and the engine was was sucking up oil from the lifter valley but i never did quite figure it out.