Buying 20' black bullit rims...whats the difference in 20x10 or 20x8.5?

Kurt06Gt

Oct 15, 2006
I'm RIM NOOB. I have a black 2006 gt and want to get the all black look...Im gonna look for some black chrome rims or just black bullitts...

Question is do i have to get 20x10 only in back? and 20x8,5 up front? whats the difference, can i get 20x10 all around?

Also whats the widdest i can go in back and up front?

thanks appreciate any help.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

the difference is 1.5"

a 10" wide wheel in the front will have a good chance of rubbing when you turn. You definatly wouldn't want more than 8.5-9" in the front to be safe. You would probably svae a few $$ if you go 8.5 all around.

Remember tires need to go on these rims. and two seperate sizes aint as easy.

I run 20X8.5s up front and 20X10s on the back and I love the look!!! If your thinking about staggering the sizes of the tire than stagger the width of the rim too, you can run a wider tire in the rear where it matters most. On the front I run 255, and it is the perfect width, on the rear I run 285s and that is also perfect. On an 8.5 inch wide rim you cant put a 305 it needs a wider rim, I believe that the 255s im running are about the max on a 8.5inch wide rim. Just so you dont order a tire and get a terrible surprise when your all stoked to have some nice 20s on your car

The thing always to remember when deciding whether or not to stagger rims is driving style and durability. If you prefer to dial in the car for more oversteer you will want to run one size wheel all the way around. The advantage of this setup is that (providing you don't exploit your oversteer constantly) you can extend the life of your tires by rotating them something you can't do with a staggered setup.

In short if you want handling and durability go with a single size setup, if you want more traction off the line and higher cornering limits at the cost of tire durability go with a staggered setup.

Just my 2c

If it comes down to looks, I think you need to go staggered. A 20x8.5 wheel in the back and a 255 tire looks a little odd to me. It looks as though you would have a really tall / thin tire.

Go with the staggered set, but be prepared you won't be able to rotate and know that you will be replacing the tires more often.

I guess it really comes down to what you can afford. If you can afford the replacement of tires, go staggered.

20' tires will put Bigfoot's measly 10' tires to shame!
BF5-2.jpg

:lol:

A 275 tire would need at least a 9" wide wheel, but the 10" wide wheel is better suited. They will fit up front as long as the overall height is near 27" (same as OEM). To me, it looks better with wider tires/wheels in the back. Personally, I'd stick to a 255 or 265 up front as it not only looks good, but is more driver friendly on rougher road surfaces.

29.2! People say I'm crazy for running the 555 295/45/18s! Going to step up to 4.30's or 4.56?

That's right! 285/50-18 which is 11.6" wide and 29.2" tall! After a few miles of driving around with Doug's 93 torque tune the past two days, my car feels crazy fast even with the 295/45 Nittos!!!!! Just how fast I get to find out tomorrow at the track:nice: I'd love to step up to the 4.30s when my car sees less daily driving, but I would no doubt need more suspension and tire upgrades to be able to hammer down on it...