Buying An 01 Cobra

IvanP

Mar 31, 2017
I'm buying an 01 cobra with 77k miles and manual transmission. I've never owned a mustang, used to own a p71 crown Vic with the 4.6, so I know it's a strong motor that can take some abuse, at 225k miles my p71 didn't knock peck or smoke. I was just wondering what important maintenance I should have done when I get it, I'm assuming it's about time for new timing belt. I also want to add a little power to it without diving into forced induction. Possibly cams, headers and exhaust? I'd like some advice and suggestions from any experienced cobra owners on what route I should take. I don't want an 800 hp street terrorizer, just want to take a fun car and make it a little more fun, and be able to ward off any SS or z28 that try to pick a fight. :)

• Sponsors (?)

I drive a P71 at work. Love that car and sad to ay that it's going to be retired soon.

I've noticed this section doesn't get much attention, so I'll chip in. The NA 4V motors are awesome and can build decent power without boost. I'd start with long tubes, intake and full exhaust. Then get it dyno tuned to make it all work together. You can easily make 300+hp at the wheels. Gears with that power is about perfect for a daily if that's your goal, and will hold it's own to the 4th gen guys. The newer Camaros are making really good power from the factory, so you'll be hard pressed to beat them, but... It's nearly a 20 year old car.

Search youtube for vids and you'll get an idea of what you're going to get.