• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

C4 Shifting Delay

  • Thread starter Thread starter spirockp
  • Start date Start date May 15, 2008

spirockp

5 Year Member
Mar 26, 2004
465
12
39
NJ
May 15, 2008
#1
  • May 15, 2008
  • #1
My problem is such. Lets say that the car is running, shifter in neutral, no pedals (brake, gas) pushed. If I move the shifter to the R position, the transmission reacts in less than a second, and car starts to move backwards. But if I move the shifter to D, nothing happens. It sits like it is still in neutral.

I took the Stang out last night, stopped at a burger hand out. When I went to leave, I put the trans into D and it took 3 seconds to engage. When I arrived at home I stopped and turned the car off before I drove it into the garage. When I came back outside and started it, it did it again. So I put it back into park, then back into D and now nothing happens.

Transmission history - C4 rebuilt a year and 1/2 ago. Car is powered by a stock 302, maybe 225 HP. I have no where near beat it up.

Any ideas what my issue may be?

Thanks.

Peter S.
 

golf4283

Active Member
May 30, 2003
1,253
1
39
Orland Park, Illinois
May 15, 2008
#2
  • May 15, 2008
  • #2
maybe the linkage is loose and it's causing the tranny to not click into gear when you shift it and that is the reason it's taking a few seconds to catch.

When I originally had my tranny rebuilt the trans shop didn't hook the linkage up right. I forgive them though as they were dealing with a 40 year old car. Just somewhere to start though for ya.
 

spirockp

5 Year Member
Mar 26, 2004
465
12
39
NJ
May 15, 2008
#3
  • May 15, 2008
  • #3
My bad, I checked the linkage, fluid, and vacume.
 

mrmustangman357

Member
Feb 11, 2007
763
3
18
May 16, 2008
#4
  • May 16, 2008
  • #4
wierd. you sure your linkage is good? Does it take as long when you shift into low instead of D? usually when it takes that long means the transmission isn't developing proper line pressure, but since your reverse gear works fine I'd say that isnt the case. but it does eventually get into gear? how is the performance thereafter?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3
B&m hammer shifter c4 question
  • 387lx
  • Mar 18, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
353
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 19, 2026
387lx
3
K
4r70w transmission problems
  • Kiddmustang
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
173
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 21, 2026
squeak93
O
My rebirth, Hi from PA
  • onemore1987
  • Jun 28, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
185
The Welcome Wagon Jun 29, 2026
onemore1987
O
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
426
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Saturday at 12:05 PM
fasterthangas
F
C
New mustang owner
  • CPH89LX
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
3
Views
173
The Welcome Wagon Apr 27, 2026
91AOD5.0LX
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?