Caddilac XTS 14" Brembo brakes on a Mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

Got wheels painted today...

20210620_180112.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
They are tempting me too. I have a few different brake plan options I'm been mulling over for a long time. But I just can't bring myself to go with a custom setup that is lug mount as opposed radial. I know it really doesn't matter, but I did a project on another vehicle years ago and felt that every vehicle should be radial mount. I think I can pull off 4 piston 13in at a reasonable price this way, but 14 options get out of hand quickly

Reactions: 1 user
Baer 6P calipers in fire red are on my list.
While i would do 6p calipers for the right price, i don't find them particularly attractive. They are just too one dimensional for my taste, i prefer more of the mechanical look of some of the other brands. I think it's the lack of an external crossover tube.

While i would do 6p calipers for the right price, i don't find them particularly attractive. They are just too one dimensional for my taste, i prefer more of the mechanical look of some of the other brands. I think it's the lack of an external crossover tube.

they are a tighter package which means they clear the wheels I want to run (at least the template does). That was the main reason I didn’t run the ATS calipers.

I do like the look of them though.

Finished install. Car was just put back on the ground. After the pic I test drove, bedded the new brakes and drove 500 kms later that day. Brakes worked excellent.

20210628_143717.jpg

Will get some better pics this weekend after she get cleaned up a bit.

So to summarize what was needed. XTS calipers needed small amount clearanced to bring caliper closer to spindle, approx. 0.075". Caliper mount inserts needed as per Mustang5L5 and those offered by S&S Engineering (or make your own). Installed to lower caliper closer to wheel hub centerline. Front rotors are '11-14 Shelby GT500 14", no mods. No modifications to the factory 96-04 spindles I am using.

My wheels are 18x9 with 24mm offset. I used a 5/16" wheel spacer (between rotor and wheel) because the rim was hitting my coil-over spring. I believe a non coil-over strut would clear without the need for a spacer. Completing the 5 lug conversion I used Fox length axles in the rear, 11.81" rear rotors from a S197 and '00-02 Lincoln LS calipers and pads (43mm piston). Same rims and offset and used a 5/16" spacer as well because it looked too tucked under without them.

Tires in the pics are 255/35/18 front and 275/35/18 rear. With my previous setup I used 245/50/16 fronts and would rub a little on each side. With this setup there is no rubbing that I have detected so far. No clearance issues in the rear whatsoever. I could have easily gone 285 rear tire (and I still may).

Reactions: 4 users
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I've got questions. I'm running 93/95 spindles on a 91 with 18s. I've found calipers and S&S told me their kit will work with that combo. I'm running into discrepancies with rotors, though. It looks like 07-12 GT500 had 14" rotors and 13/14 had 15". But the 11-14 GT had a Brembo 14" option. This thread says 11-14 GT500. What do I need to look for?

Thanks!

Depending on the source, the suitable 14" rotor could be listed as GT500, regular GT Brembo package, whatever. The key dimensions are 14" diameter (nominal) and rotor height of 1.81". Both the source and years you list for 14" rotors are correct.

If you have the calipers and the S&S kit, you could test fit to see if calipers will fit your rims before the rotors arrive.

Share some pics.

Reactions: 1 user
The rotors I spec'ed in the initial post were 2011 GT500 355mm rotors.

The 07-12 GT500 and '11-'14 Mustang GT brembo brakes are exactly the same. Grab a rotor for either of those.

I ended up selling those calipers but wish i hung onto them for a future project.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
I just looked up those S&S rear adapter brackets and they look similar in nature to the brackets I made for 13.6" rotors a couple years ago in this thread:

I made an aluminum version of my brackets shortly after I posted in that thread.

Let us know how they work.