CAI/tuner dilema: Keep S&B and buy a tuner, or buy used JLT/tuner for $350-ish?

Memphis Raines

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2000
Monroe, NC
I'm getting ready to purchase my first tuner for our Mustang. Currently, I have an S&B CAI on the car which does not require a tune. Originally, I was thinking about just buying a tuner to go with that, so my investment would be about $380. I have come across an opportunity to purchase an used JLT II with an used Xcal 3 for around $350. I think I might be able to get him a little lower. I'm in the process of finding out if his tuner is compatible with my PCM (which I am just learning about for the first time). It appears the only set up difference between our cars is the gear ratios, which I should be able to adjust in the tuner, right?

Assuming that it's compatible, should I go with the JLT II and Xcal or should I stick with my S&B and just pick up a tuner? Would the JLT offer any significant difference in performance?

• Sponsors (?)

sell that S&B and use the cash toward your JLT purchase. That is the EXACT same route I went about a year ago. The guys at Bama told me that the JLT with a tune is about 10-15 hp stronger than the S&B with a tune, which isn't hard to believe once you compare the two intakes side by side. The JLT absolutely dwarfs the S&B. Good luck and hope this helps bud!

-J

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you! The good news is that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the JLT and I'm hoping to have it by the end of the week. I've already listed my S&B for sale on a few sites. Can't wait to see/feel the difference! :nice:

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you! The good news is that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the JLT and I'm hoping to have it by the end of the week. I've already listed my S&B for sale on a few sites. Can't wait to see/feel the difference! :nice:

you'll love the difference :nice: a ton more torque and throttle response down low; Plus your top end pull will be like :eek::jaw:

Who is doing your tune for the JLT?

-J

That's what I like to hear! The previous owner had Tilllman tunes so I'll probably go with them too. He only had mufflers like me, but he had 3.55 gears and mine ha 3.31 so I'll have to retune for that. But I'm gonna get my moneys worth out of the tunes and get a set of economy delete plates to install at the same time. So I'll be adding the JLT and delete plates to go with the tunes. Just trying to finalize which tunes I want to get.

Just make sure that the person you are getting your tuner and intake from resets their car to stock before selling the tuner to you. Otherwise you will have to send that to SCT to have them unlock it and they charge $150 to unlock the tuner from the previous owner. The JLT CAI is a great unit for the 05+ stangs and will give you a great increase over the S&B.

I bought the JLT/tuner combo used from a board member on another site. I'm not sure who he bought it from, but he said the tunes in it were from Tillman. If not for the difference in the gears of our two cars, I'd stick with the current tunes for a little bit until I could purchase a few more mods and then get new Tillman tunes for it.