Engine Can I switch to an early model steel geared, non-retard cam drive on my carburated 1986 ,5.0 HO engine?

  • Sponsors(?)


Feb 19, 2018
Not sure what your are asking. If you have a Ford roller cam engine you need a steel or something like a Comp melonized steel gear.

If you put in a flat tappet cam you can use a cast gear, such as a stock 83 or earlier. Your 86 GT should be a stock roller cam engine and if you keep a roller cam you need a steel gear. the 85 carbed Gt was the only application for a carbed, duraspark distributor with a roller cam. Be cautious with part store units.
  • Like
Reactions: Gs87GT