Progress Thread She’s a runner

• Sponsors (?)

Still here.... Just when i thought i had the brakes sorted the pedal gets soft again, no leaks and it held preasure with the Motive bleeder over night a few days ago. I decided to just get another new master. Bench bled with no issues and installed last night then power bled. pedal was still firm this morning, with the other master it would be firm then go right to the floor the next day. so hopfully i got this sorted and i can start tuning my fuel and getting some data.

Reactions: 3 users
went for a quick drive to get some data. rich most everywhere and under boost 10.50 ish. also breaking up under boost. spark blow out? plugs are cold and gapped at .028 maybe go up one temp? current plug is 3922.
haven't looked through this yet but here's the dl and tune

side note...log saved as an mlg file, needed to export to convert to msl file

Attachments

• first drive no tblswtch 2020-03-05_18.45.55.msq
    119.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 2020-03-05_18_modified.msl
    4.4 MB · Views: 108
That is much better! Still a bit rich way at the top of boost. I pulled a little bit of fuel at idle but no other changes yet. Another issue I've noticed is a tick sound or between tick and knock but closer to tick, i used a stethoscope to find it and it seems to be from the bell housing starter area. nothing really in the valve train, pan or block areas. this sound was there when i got back from a drive but after about a few min of idling it was gone. throwout bearing? pilot? not sure but i'll keep looking and maybe pull trans at some point to inspect.

Attachments

• 2020-03-07_15.36.10.mlg
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
  • KZGUNS Rev5.0.4.msq
    119.9 KB · Views: 109
looked over the data and made these changes. @a91what let me know what you think. It is odd that if you compare the ve1 to ve3 we're already leaner than ve3 when i had the old heads on. not sure what the reason, aluminum would have a cooler combustion vs iron or at least shed heat quicker maybe a more efficient combustion chamber? IDK just seems odd but the data is what it is, its definitely interesting.

Attachments

• KZGUNS Rev5.0.5.msq
    119.9 KB · Views: 100
I moved some cells around in the fuel table to give you more cells at the top of the rev range.

Fuel looks like it is coming into line nicely, wrap the engine up in rpm when you feel comfortable. The heads and exhaust may have moved the power curve upward, only one way to tell.
Are you experiencing any spark issues?

Attachments

• KZGUNS Rev5.0.6.msq
    119.8 KB · Views: 101
I moved some cells around in the fuel table to give you more cells at the top of the rev range.

Fuel looks like it is coming into line nicely, wrap the engine up in rpm when you feel comfortable. The heads and exhaust may have moved the power curve upward, only one way to tell.
Are you experiencing any spark issues?
No spark issues this time around. I just saw the afr go rich as the boost was building and didn’t wanna foul out the plugs again so I backed out a bit. I’ll get some miles on it tomorrow for sure and stretch it out.

ok i spun it up as much as i could, fell on its face at the top of rpm almost like a rev limit spark blowing out? looks like a spike in MAP when it happened.

Attachments

• 2020-03-08_11.40.14.mlg
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
  • KZGUNS Rev5.0.6.msq
    119.8 KB · Views: 108
same issue after timing change hmmmm :suicide:
fuel is looking better. I moved WB to drivers side. I also pulled a little fuel up top.

Attachments

• 2020-03-08_14.34.11.mlg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • KZGUNS Rev5.0.7.msq
    119.9 KB · Views: 97
well we're leaning towards valve float causing my issues. Probably some belt slip as well but that's most likely not the issue. I've ordered a set of new springs, I'm kicking myself for not just changing them in the first place cause now I've got to deal with doing them with the heads on. It's not hard to do just a pain leaning over the fender, pressurizing the cylinder with air and compressing the spring to pull the keepers etc...

so if you buy the promaxx heads replace the springs, I'm guessing they're so, so for N/A applications so once boost is add into the equation they just cant keep up

Well if this is damn near the exact issues I’m having! Definitely feeling better about putting in better springs

Attachments

• 835E93B2-7519-4866-9CAD-6165CBD1CE21.jpeg
    835E93B2-7519-4866-9CAD-6165CBD1CE21.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 79
So I took a spring off these heads and also took a k800 to my neighbors friends head shop. The promaxx springs are supposed to be 145 seat pressure and they were 134 ish! The k800 springs were 195!! He thought those were too heavy for my lifters and I tend to agree so I’m gonna look for around 150-155.

Reactions: 1 user