Car going to the shop tomorow to fix my 3.73s, should I swap anything while im there?

My gears are causeing this horrible whine if I go over like 40 mph so tomorrow im going to the shop to get them fixed. Im trying to see if they will do it for free since its been only like 6 months since I had these put in but if they dont I would like to know what would be good to replace while they are down there. Im thinking maybe downsize to 3.55s to stay in boost longer(all my mods listed on www.cardomain.com/id/blueovalstanggt) or maybe I should invest in a Auburn locker/ axles or something. Any ideas or should I stick with the 3.73s?

• Sponsors (?)

I have had both 3.73s and 3.55s in my car. I prefer the 3.73s if you dont use the car that much on the interstate. You will be faster with the 3.73s, no matter your combo. I had a bad noise in my rearend about 2000 miles after my first gear change. Turns out my driver's side carrier bearing was chewed up. Im surprised it didnt throw it.

If your bearings in the rear are original I would go ahead and replace them all now. You can buy a Ratech or like kit for around $100 that includes every bearing you need.

S/CBlack95GT said:
I have had both 3.73s and 3.55s in my car. I prefer the 3.73s if you dont use the car that much on the interstate. You will be faster with the 3.73s, no matter your combo. I had a bad noise in my rearend about 2000 miles after my first gear change. Turns out my driver's side carrier bearing was chewed up. Im surprised it didnt throw it.

If your bearings in the rear are original I would go ahead and replace them all now. You can buy a Ratech or like kit for around $100 that includes every bearing you need.

The longer you can stay in each gear and maintain maximum torque, the better. It all depends on his torque curve. If it's narrow, I would stick with the 3.73;s. But if you have a really wide/flat torque curve, I would definately entertain a lower gear.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
The longer you can stay in each gear and maintain maximum torque, the better. It all depends on his torque curve. If it's narrow, I would stick with the 3.73;s. But if you have a really wide/flat torque curve, I would definately entertain a lower gear.
Scott

Yea that makes sense in theory, but I have never found it to be true. That is the same line Ford used to justify the use of 2.73 and 3.08 gears in the 5 liters. They said the car would not be quicker with lower gears. Well, we all know that is BS.