Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

• Sponsors (?)

Its in the bumper cover. I’ve got good fender to hood gaps. They are straight all the way up to cowl. If I do that, then the hood will touch the fender. Plus, my aprons and radiator support are spot on. Just trying to figure out a way to fit a aftermarket bumper cover better.

Last edited:
The bumper is aftermarket?

Aftermarket pieces are really a pot shoot Blake. Sometimes they’re dead on, other times, not so much.

With it riveted to the header panel there really isn’t a bunch you can do.

Let me think on it.

Are the fender extensions are factory?They don't fit very well from the looks of things. That driver side extension needs some adjustment. And it needs to twist. And that pass side one is just wonky.
Are the fenders adjusted properly?
If one is in too tight, (pass side) and the other is adjusted too far outward, that could be contribution to the offset.

The bumper is aftermarket?

Aftermarket pieces are really a pot shoot Blake. Sometimes they’re dead on, other times, not so much.

With it riveted to the header panel there really isn’t a bunch you can do.

Let me think on it.

Yeah. I know about the aftermarket parts, insurance companies make us use them all the time here at the shop on customers cars, they are hit and miss. The bumper cover is only aftermarket body part on the car. The hood and fenders are factory, still have the vin stickers on them and they match the vin plate.

Are the fender extensions are factory?They don't fit very well from the looks of things. That driver side extension needs some adjustment. And it needs to twist. And that pass side one is just wonky.
If one is in too tight, (pass side) and the other is adjusted too far outward, that could be contribution to the offset.

The hood and fenders are adjusted properly. When we pulled the rad support and aprons we had used a tram gauge, measured everything out and it was all square and in place. The tops of the bumper cover above the park lights is really hard to adjust, actually, there is no adjustment there at all. Im going to have one of the bodymen look at it this morning and see what he thinks, but I think I’ll have to search for a replacement cover.

I think it’s just how this piece of :poo: is made. You can see how square my hood, fender and cowl gaps are. It’s just right there in the upper parts of that bumper cover.
A2EEAB23-8FEE-41FF-A2A4-C51307E1F51B.jpeg
8AFC6D07-53E0-4445-8CBE-437BF8F3093F.jpeg

I might drill these rivets out and try to slide the top of the cover over to the drivers side, drill new holes in the mount panel and try to get it over that way. The mount panel might be part of the problem.

13F805AA-0391-42F0-A03D-1A67F299AE3A.jpeg
92AC1B2E-37F3-48B5-AB8F-6FE354A2DC31.jpeg

The hood and fenders are adjusted properly. When we pulled the rad support and aprons we had used a tram gauge, measured everything out and it was all square and in place. The tops of the bumper cover above the park lights is really hard to adjust, actually, there is no adjustment there at all. Im going to have one of the bodymen look at it this morning and see what he thinks, but I think I’ll have to search for a replacement cover.

Fender extensions? I think the parts you are referring to is actually the bumper cover.

On several cars I've been able to shift the metal bracket that pinches the bumper cover to the front of the fender. Loosening the nuts up so the plastic just drags between the helps get it accurate. I've had to open up the holes in the plastic a couple times.

If the rivets are off, usually, the plastic between the corner and first verticle rivet will bow.

Reactions: 1 user
Came in early to fck with this. That was going to bug me all day long, especially with the car parked outside my office. Our senior bodyman new exactly what to do. I do need to adjust the inner part of the upper left side a bit, but I had to get to work. My boss walked past me when I was laying on the ground tightening this up past 8am and gave me the look. I think it looks much better.

Last edited:

It was a little tweaking of everything @CarMichael Angelo, thanks man.

On several cars I've been able to shift the metal bracket that pinches the bumper cover to the front of the fender. Loosening the nuts up so the plastic just drags between the helps get it accurate. I've had to open up the holes in the plastic a couple times.

If the rivets are off, usually, the plastic between the corner and first verticle rivet will bow.

That’s a good idea. I think we got it though.

Wow..... those are pretty bad! Look at that driver headlight on the American Muscle car! That’s pretty much saying, don’t buy our headlights!!!
Now my eye is going to go right toward that spot on every one I see for a while! Lol

Your car is looking great, and you made a good decision not to settle on that first fitment! Last thing you want is to have it together and saying “I wish this” or “I wish I’d have done that”!

Wow..... those are pretty bad! Look at that driver headlight on the American Muscle car! That’s pretty much saying, don’t buy our headlights!!!
Now my eye is going to go right toward that spot on every one I see for a while! Lol

Your car is looking great, and you made a good decision not to settle on that first fitment! Last thing you want is to have it together and saying “I wish this” or “I wish I’d have done that”!

Thanks Dub, yeah I wasn't going to settle on that fitment. I'm lucky to work in a bodyshop and have a lot of talented techs here that can help me when I need it. It was a 2 man job that took us about 20 minutes. Its still not perfect due to being a/m but I think I can live with it. I do have one more tweak I want to do to the drivers side upper part before I call it done though. It sucks it not the original bumper, oh well, the car is 31 years old. Im lucky that every other panel is original to the car though.

Last edited:
I thought my car looked bad because of a poor install of an aftermarket hood and bumper, but compared to the American Muscle car it looks alright. Then again maybe the guy that didn't know what he was doing when he installed the American Muscle stuff did my car as well....... and they are both crappy. :chin

Yeah that American Muscle car looks like :poo:. I could see it being someone's car online and that's the best they could do, but a company that sells that stuff and they represent it like that?! Cmon.