Progress Thread Finally got a new truck

I thought my car looked bad because of a poor install of an aftermarket hood and bumper, but compared to the American Muscle car it looks alright. Then again maybe the guy that didn't know what he was doing when he installed the American Muscle stuff did my car as well....... and they are both crappy. :chin

Sometimes you need and extra set of hands Fet, I did, I wasn't happy with the fitment I was able to do. A lot of it was pulling and pushing while someone tightened the bolts.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Starting to take the shape of a GT again. I won’t be able to start up again until next week. To much stuff going on this weekend.

EFA54EA8-F5BD-4151-BD21-86A0AFE333D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Plans changed today. Came in and put some more ground effects on, front lamps and buttoned up my headliner. Next week, all paint all my black trim, quarter glasses and button up the doors.

06E5C559-14D6-4910-AE4F-E649E9C52CFC.jpeg
B9655FE8-B464-4581-AF35-839F1E439983.jpeg
36E3F514-6D0D-4CF3-82DE-2E721B69A2E3.jpeg
A023D3A9-7442-4F87-8990-238E6311309F.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
That's looking great Blake, how did your quarter glass do? Still look good?

Thanks! I still need to paint those Dave. I think they will look good man. I do have them all prepped so I can visualize how they will look black. By the way, what paint would you use on those? I was thinking SEM trim black but my painter is suggesting using the same material we paint cars with, but with semi gloss clear. I’m leaning towards the SEM trim black. What do you think?

Last edited:
Thanks! I still need to paint those Dave. I think they will look good man. I do have them all prepped so I can visualize how they will look black. By the way, what paint would you use on those? I was thinking SEM trim black but my painter is suggesting using the same material we paint cars with, but semi gloss clear. I’m leaning towards the SEM trim black. What do you think?
SEM would be easier of course.

I don't know your paint system there, but using a base/clear would be more durable over the long run. Really you have a better chance of it looking even from the color to the sheen as well.

SEM would be easier of course.

I don't know your paint system there, but using a base/clear would be more durable over the long run. Really you have a better chance of it looking even from the color to the sheen as well.

Yep, that’s what he’s saying. PPG Global is what we use. I’ll go that route. Same with door handles and all the windshield trim too? I guess if I want it to match huh.

Last edited:
Looks great ! I would imagine your putting the spoiler back on but there are times when I think a spoiler delete GT would look cool..probably not though lol.
I'll be spraying my lower 2 tone color at some point over the summer.

Looks great ! I would imagine your putting the spoiler back on but there are times when I think a spoiler delete GT would look cool..probably not though lol.

Always reminds me of Capris when I see a Stang with no spoiler.

Yeah the spoiler is going back on. It still needs to be painted. I have a quart left over from the color we mixed up last week. We just ran out of booth space, we had both booths filled, one with my car and the other with all the ground effects and bumpers. The spoiler and door moldings will get painted next week.

You are way more patient than I am. I wouldn't be able to sleep until it's all back together. The car turned out really nice.

Oh I hear ya SSP. I wish I could just finish up putting it together already. Should be all wrapped up next week. I ordered my new Ford ovals yesterday. I reconditioned my 5.0’s and I’ll reuse those. I need some new rear tires. The sidewalks are cracked. I can’t drive on those. I’ll probably put the ponies on for a little while. :(

Got the new windshield installed this morning. Too bad I couldn’t reuse my factory one. Oh well, it lived a long life. I also painted inside the cowl black. I know it’s not factory but I always thought it would look better black in there. The white paint just stood out under that cowl grille. We’ll see what it looks like. I screwed my back up pretty good this past weekend, so, if it feels up to it, I’m going to finish up the prep on the glass moldings, handles and quarter glasses. Like @Davedacarpainter and the painter here at the shop suggested, I’m going with a base/semigloss clear coat on all of those parts. I would love to take the car home this weekend.

C5B3CCF3-F23E-481F-A18B-DEC11BEC657F.jpeg
84E856F0-AF1D-4816-9FC8-439AEECE3AE5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Happy
Reactions: 8 users