car spudders when 1/4 of tank left of gas going up hill....

MustangGT92

Apr 13, 2006
Oklahoma City
when i have a quarter of a tank left and i'm going up hill or up an off ramp....my car wants to spudder and acts like it wants to die...would it be from the tank or from the fuel pump i'm running the stock fuel pump but am wanting to get a bigger one...

• Sponsors (?)

The baffle inside the tank may be broken. That would allow the fuel to move away from the fuel pump on steep inclines or sharp turns.

MustangGT92 said:
so would it be better to get a new tank...and i'm also stumped that when i'm driving for a while and sit at a red light i can smell fuel...could that be from it????
Drop the tank and take a look inside. That doesn't cost anything but your time & effort. Buying a new tank and finding out that it wasn't the problem sucks. If the baffle is loose, you may be able to clean the inside of the tank with Methyl Ethyl Kentone (Home Depot item) & epoxy it back in place with some JB weld.

The top seal around the fuel pump access has been a leak problem, along with the rubber grommet that seals the filler pipe to the tank. A missing or defective carbon canister will also cause a fuel smell.