Chevy 2.7 turbos?

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Anybody have any thoughts on Chevy's 2.7L turbo offering? My BIL is looking at getting a new Silverado and it looks like a majority of the available listings have them equipped with this turbo 4-cylinder. Some have the V8 and the six is darn near impossible to find.

He's just looking for something basic, so trying to keep it as low-priced as possible.

• Sponsors (?)

I have no hands-on experience with it yet, but the first red flags for me are the electronic thermostat and electric water pump. BMW actually gave up on electric water pumps for primary engine cooling after a decade of using them resulted in recalls and warranty extensions to settle lawsuits.

Reactions: 1 user

They are prone to having the oil cooler lines leak/rupture, which is no big deal while the vehicle is under warranty. Every single one of them will have the EVAP Purge pump go bad. Covered under Emissions warranty. Some are prone to the plastic oil pan leaking, or the front crank seal leaking, we have had to replace both. The display screen for the Radio/Nav/HVAC ect will probably need an update for the screen going black on cold mornings.
That is just some of the things off the top of my head. Otherwise a decent vehicle.

The 2.7L Ecoboost F-150 will walk circles around it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user