• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Cleaning a chip?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jivepepper
  • Start date Start date Sep 7, 2008

jivepepper

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2002
776
5
18
Under a Sombrero. in WV.
Sep 7, 2008
#1
  • Sep 7, 2008
  • #1
I have been having trouble with the car just dying on me. About 5 times in the last 3 weeks. It usually happens during heavy acceleration.

The time before last it was just idling in the garage and the odometer went to all dashes. I had to cycle the key a few times to get the numbers back up and for it to start.

The last time I was coasting down a small hill and it did the same thing. I happened to have my ECU out and after pulling over and trying to start it a couple times. I had my daughter wiggle the chip and it started right up.

I'm pretty convinced that my problem is dirty contacts between the chip and ECU. I was just wondering if there a easy efficient way of cleaning them? I had this chip for 8 years and it has been out several times.

Thanks for any help.
 

MaxedGT

Member
Mar 31, 2005
304
0
17
Surrey BC Canada
Sep 7, 2008
#2
  • Sep 7, 2008
  • #2
The chip manufactures give instructions on how to clean the contacts, before chip installation. I believe they tell you to you a soft white eraser. I'd check their web sites for instructions.
 

jivepepper

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2002
776
5
18
Under a Sombrero. in WV.
Sep 8, 2008
#3
  • Sep 8, 2008
  • #3
MaxedGT said:
The chip manufactures give instructions on how to clean the contacts, before chip installation. I believe they tell you to you a soft white eraser. I'd check their web sites for instructions.
Click to expand...


I cleaned it pretty well before the first install 5 years ago. But mine is one of the orginal red single sct chips. It has to come out each time the tune is changed which ihas happened several times..
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
ECU/PCM ISSUE
  • Santi1015
  • Jun 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
214
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 29, 2026
Santi1015
S
B
Electrical Why does my fox body keep frying eecs
  • brandyn200
  • Jun 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
387
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
A
1987 5.0 speed density Foxbody crank no start
  • Alan2204
  • May 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
453
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 30, 2026
Mcmahst
K
Electrical 2000 GT Intermittent Engine Shutdown In Motion - DTC U1262
  • kenster1092
  • Apr 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
274
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Apr 24, 2026
squeak93
P
2000 GT Random Power Loss
  • Pinellas50
  • Mar 9, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
371
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 23, 2026
Pinellas50
P
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?