clearance of my stock valve covers!

jackchan

Oct 17, 2004
Mobile Alabama
I'm having some clearance issues with my stock valve covers clearing my new comp cams roller rockers. How many have made stock valve covers work on stud mounted roller rockers? post a few pics if you have em!
thanks
Jack

• Sponsors (?)

Ben, may want to work on your wording a little, that's one confusing statement.

I'll assume you are talking about grinding out the baffle supports. For that a small air powered grinder may be best. I watched them clearance mine, took about a minute a piece with a good grinder.

thanks for the heads up on that, I guess i was in such a hurry I mistakenly misworded what I was saying.

Is there any difference between 86 stock valve covers and later say 89-93 stock valve covers? The reason i say is I removed and grinded on the baffles in the stock 86 (part numbers anyway) valve covers and still don't have sufficent clearance. I'll get back at it tonight and make them work, but I just didnt want to be grinding on something that could stay if I didn't need too. I did this one time before and then sold them, but Have forgotten what all had to be removed and how long it took to do them both. Time is a serious issue, as the only thing keeping me from installing my engine is my valve covers, water pump arent installed yet. I have tonight, and all day tomorrow and tomorrow night to get this thing ready for the track in bradenton. GOnna be an all nighter tonight! wish me luck
Jack

I've had instances where stock VC's off one engine fit without needing to modify the oil baffle (which is simple to do, if you are making contact it will leave a slight mark in the anodizing on the rocker arm, usually on #1 cylinder), and another stock set didn't - I believe changes were made to the design of the casting from year to year (die cast aluminum covers I'm referring to). One thing that helps is using a thicker cork gasket versus the reusable metal & rubber gasket - It will give you slightly more clearance and in my opinion isolated the valve train sounds slightly better. Hope it helps!

Time wise I spent about 3 hrs clearancing my valve cover, bending a sheet metal baffle, and bonding in the baffle.
Yes, I did say bond. While pretty low tech, JB Weld is pretty decent stuff.

jason