Considering buying a mustang.. a couple of questions..

SA1

Jun 22, 2004
Hi everyone.. This topic/question has probably been beaten to death already, but I figured I would ask and get some new opinions on what everyone might think. I currently own a 99 Civic, and I am considering getting a 2002+ V6 Mustang (5 Speed), now here are some my reasons why I have chosen this car:

1) I commute on the highway to work.. it is a fairly long commute, so I am kinda worried about gas and mileage. That is why I have chosen the V6. It is no big deal, because I think a V6 should be sufficent enough for me since I am not a hardcore racer. I am grown up now and need something a little more "mature".. I know, I know.. a car shouldnt be a status symbol, but I really like the 2002+ styling of mustanges.

2) I spend my weekends chilling at home/biking/running, so I dont go out cruising "wasting" gas. I dont think the V6 being a gas guzzler will be an issue, but maybe I am wrong? My work commmute is a total of 130km each day (each way is about 65km's). I will roughly travel about 600km's per week.

3) I have grown up.. The most I will probably consider doing to the mustang is changing the exhaust (I really like the GT dual exhaust, and I might consider swapping the exhaust from a GT). Otherwise the car will be left stock with the exception of little stuff here and there.

Now here are some of my concerns or doubts on whether I should consider the mustang:

1) Reliability.. I know, there is no such thing as a "perfect" car. However, the only maintenance I have had to do on my civic from 99 is O2 Sensor change ($250), and I had a huge issue last month with water getting into some fuel sensors located ontop of the gastank, total bill ended up costing me $700 after parts and labour. So overall I have spent about $1000 on a major tuneup. This is of course not counting the oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, and tires (all which I have done myself). I basically need ot rely on this car summer/winter time to get me to work, which is important because that is what will allow me to pay for my car :) Which brings me to my 2nd concern.

2) The mustang will have to be driven in winter time. I live all the way up north (about 50 mins north of Toronto). I live in a rural area where the roads dont get plowed enough in the winter, and generally the commute in winter time on the 404/401 is a PITA. However, would getting a set of decent winter tires for the mustang be sufficent enough for it to be driveable even though it is a RWD? I know that a set of winter tires on the civic makes a HUGE difference when it comes to traction/stopping power. Is it true for the mustang?

Basically.. those are my only 2 concerns. Can someone give me some tips or advice? I am sure I will keep thinking of more as this thread progresses and I get some sleep :) Thanks everyone... :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

SA1 said:
Hi everyone.. This topic/question has probably been beaten to death already, but I figured I would ask and get some new opinions on what everyone might think. I currently own a 99 Civic, and I am considering getting a 2002+ V6 Mustang (5 Speed), now here are some my reasons why I have chosen this car:

1) I commute on the highway to work.. it is a fairly long commute, so I am kinda worried about gas and mileage. That is why I have chosen the V6. It is no big deal, because I think a V6 should be sufficent enough for me since I am not a hardcore racer. I am grown up now and need something a little more "mature".. I know, I know.. a car shouldnt be a status symbol, but I really like the 2002+ styling of mustanges.

2) I spend my weekends chilling at home/biking/running, so I dont go out cruising "wasting" gas. I dont think the V6 being a gas guzzler will be an issue, but maybe I am wrong? My work commmute is a total of 130km each day (each way is about 65km's). I will roughly travel about 600km's per week.

3) I have grown up.. The most I will probably consider doing to the mustang is changing the exhaust (I really like the GT dual exhaust, and I might consider swapping the exhaust from a GT). Otherwise the car will be left stock with the exception of little stuff here and there.

Now here are some of my concerns or doubts on whether I should consider the mustang:

1) Reliability.. I know, there is no such thing as a "perfect" car. However, the only maintenance I have had to do on my civic from 99 is O2 Sensor change ($250), and I had a huge issue last month with water getting into some fuel sensors located ontop of the gastank, total bill ended up costing me $700 after parts and labour. So overall I have spent about $1000 on a major tuneup. This is of course not counting the oil changes, brakes, spark plugs, and tires (all which I have done myself). I basically need ot rely on this car summer/winter time to get me to work, which is important because that is what will allow me to pay for my car :) Which brings me to my 2nd concern.

2) The mustang will have to be driven in winter time. I live all the way up north (about 50 mins north of Toronto). I live in a rural area where the roads dont get plowed enough in the winter, and generally the commute in winter time on the 404/401 is a PITA. However, would getting a set of decent winter tires for the mustang be sufficent enough for it to be driveable even though it is a RWD? I know that a set of winter tires on the civic makes a HUGE difference when it comes to traction/stopping power. Is it true for the mustang?

Basically.. those are my only 2 concerns. Can someone give me some tips or advice? I am sure I will keep thinking of more as this thread progresses and I get some sleep :) Thanks everyone... :spot:

Did you factor in your insurance increase? 99 civic a lot cheaper to insure then our Mustangs are! As for winter driving my stang gets parked inside for winter however I have had it out to early and got caught in snow storm not a fun can to drive in the winter, but some folks seem to drive them just fine, however you live outside the city where plows don't always get out to fast, you be looking at some possible snow days.

First, Welcome to the Board.

Let me try and understand what you are trying to say,

To understand, Your Priorities are:

#1 (Highest Priority) is Gas Mileage (you mentioned it twice)
#2 Styling
#3 Reliablity
#4 Winter Driving

I think you have already answered your question.

#1 - Civic will always have better Gas Mileage
#2 - Mustang has better style (I'm biased of course)
#3 - Civic is more reliable over all
#4 - Civic is FWD and is better in the winter

3 to 1 - Civic has it.

If Gas Mileage is a High Priority for you, since it was the first two things you mentioned, then a Mustang is not your best choice. V6 or V8 compared to a Civic, the Civic will win every time. Don't forget the Mustang is around 800lbs heavier car too. (almost a ton)

But, If you are willing to sacrifice some Gas Mileage for Style, then the Mustang may be for you. Since you are already thinking of upgrades to the exhaust, it seems Style is also important. I have a GT Stock Exhaust (complete) sitting in my garage. Will Sell cheap.

Reliablity is no more or less than any other car, the Mustang has it share of problems. but all of my problems have been fixed over warrenty. But Civic's have a great record.

Winter Driving, Civic is FWD, how can a Mustang compete against that in the Winter. But, with a Great Winter Tire, a significant change in Driving Behaviour (Drive SLOWLY), and some Sand in the trunk and the Mustang can be just fine in the Winter. Even 50min North of TO.

My Suggestion, evaluate your Priorities. There are Cars we Need and cars we Want. List the Priorities out in order of what's most important to you and compare the two. I also suggest to add a comparision against Insurance, Initial Cost/Price, ReSale Value and Fun To Drive.

When I bought my Mustang, my priorities were very different. They were something like 1) HorsePower, 2) Price, 3) Styling 4) Color. I compared the Mustang to the Camaro Z28. the Camaro may have had more HP, but cost way more than I could afford, Plus I like the Mustang Styling better (both inside and out), and had a Blue that I liked. Mustang had it 3 to 1.

I happen to be luckly to have two cars, a car that I need, a fuel efficient, cheap, reliable car for everyday use, then I have the car that I wanted, my Mustang for the FUN of it ALL.