Fox Convertible Update - sold!

• Sponsors (?)

The high pressure hose connection to the power steering pump's fitting. It was leaking last night, but after throwing some teflon tape on it, because I was in the middle of it when I asked, it seemed ok on a short drive.

If it continues to leak, I have some of this to try, and if it fails, I'll go for the pipe dope (was that a typo, Mike?):

1556399008716.png

Reactions: 1 user
New pipes & new wheels. Do you guys like these black ponies more? I'm not really sure. The old wheels look a little better than they did now that they're cleaned up:
pipes05.jpg

wheels01.jpg

pipes04.jpg
wheels03.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I also added some old black pony floor mats, too. I think those mats are a nice touch in the interior. I didn't grab any pics of the interior before I took it back to the detailer.

I don't like that the tire is a lower profile on the ponies, but I don't think that's the issue. Black doesn't come out too well in the pics, honestly. I think it looks alright both ways, but neither really pops for me. Probably silver ponies would be best, but unless I get a direct trade for either set, I'm not going to keep sinking money into it.

It sure as hell looks better with exhaust pipes, though. Right? It does to me, anyway.
Before:
02.jpg

After:
wheels02.jpg

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: 1 user
It was a frustrating process to get them aligned right. Lot of cutting and rewelding pipe. They've got a nice upward rake that stays with the body, now. I was actually impressed with the quality of the stainless steel. It was hard to cut, and utterly non-magnetic for the welder ground. I was not so impressed with the fitment on the driver's side. It really wasn't even close until I cut it into 3 sections and my buddy rewelded it. I wonder if these LMR deals are made in China.

I think I'd like it better if the pony wheels were argent and the febder gap wasn't so large.

The black wheel just look black. No style
Yeah, I'm thinking that way too. These wheels have a really nice set of tires, but the low profile doesn't look great without lower springs (C's or B's would be good, but don't think they're made anymore. I might list 'em for trade locally if I come across a clean set of silver ponies.

Last edited:
Got her back from the detailer. She's growing on me, fellas, even the wheels, which I actually already got a compliment on, lol. The door handle sticks out like a sore thumb, but I've got its replacement already, and will install soon.

Detailed01.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
lol. Nah... logistically I can't support this many cars, especially at my next duty station in DC. I've gotta ask for 2 friends/family to drive across the country with me in December as it is. So, I didn't mean it like that. I just like the car. Gonna enjoy it.

Damn... I haven't seen one of these since the '90s. I didn't even remember how it looked, lol. I apparently got the only fox left in America that still had one. I removed the conical "hot air" engine bay filter (cut off on the left side of the picture), and replaced the stock airbox with a K&N flat panel filter. Plugged 2 exhaust holes, found a loose header bolt and tightened it down. The throwout bearing started making some noise, so I hit it with some lithium grease. Hopefully, that'll keep it going for a while. Replaced broken temp knob, wipers, & door striker bushings. ID'd that the clutch is nothing special. It's a LuK, and it looks pretty plain jane. LuK doesn't really have performance clutches. So, I'm actually a little surprised it's holding the power.

I filled up the tank and really topped it off. The smell of gasoline lingered in the cabin longer than I liked. I was worried about a gas leak, but I couldn't find one. I wonder what's causing it.

It'll be my daily driver, this week. So, I'll get to monitor everything.

1557121272830.png