Coolant Leak - '03 Explorer V6 4.0l

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Lately I've developed a coolant leak in my 2003 Explorer with the dreaded 4.0L V6. It does produce a spot under the vehicle, right in the middle under the front of the engine. I also see some coolant pooling on top of the thermostat housing where the upper hose runs into the housing, but it seems the hose is on fairly tight. I don't see any coolant seeping out of the hose.

How likely is it that the thermostat housing is in need of replacement vs. something else such as the water pump? I had another '03 Explorer V6 before which needed it's t-stat housing replaced as it developed a crack and I know these things are fairly notorious for such a repair.

I'm hoping it'll hold off a bit longer as it is since I'm battling the unemployment monster at the moment...and then I need to address a P0430 it's throwing before it goes through emissions in the spring.

• Sponsors (?)

It’s been my experience-that it’s usually the thermostat housing leaking. Sometimes it’s just the O ring leaking,but I’ve not had much luck changing them. It always fell apart when I’d separate the housing lol

Reactions: 1 user