Forced Induction Couple of questions for foxbody on3 turbo guys

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I am 80% done with my on3 turbo install. So far, not bad. I have a couple of questions for anyone who has this kit on their fox. I am running AC and have stock pullies. Does anyone with this combo know what size belt to use? I know everyone will be a little different, but looking for a starting point on belt size. Second question is the cold side that comes out of the intercooler and into the passenger's side fender and connects to the pipe that goes up to the throttle body. Where the two pipes are supposed to meet it is about 4 or 5 inches short making a gap between the two pipes.. I am thinking this is where a mass air meter would go, but I am speed density (Pimp XS Megasquirt) so I have no mass air meter. Any work arounds for this? I suppose I could install a mass air meter between the two for now but don't want that to be permanent. I'm sure I will have more questions, but let's just start with this. Thanks

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

I'll check on the belt size for you. I've got one sitting in my garage for factory crank pulley, 130amp alt, wp, ac, and ps....no air pump.

You could get a straight piece of intake tubing and another rubber coupler and cut it to fit the gap. The ends should be bead rolled but should be fine under 9lbs.

Here it is. It's a 790k6 belt. This is with all factory stuff except air pump.

20210407_214334.jpg

The only deviation might be the alternator pulley.

20210407_214552.jpg

My ac line runs down behind the alternator and can be zip ties to the bracket spacer. ( mine is zip tied at the counter fan housing.

20210407_214904.jpg

20210407_214908.jpg

20210407_214914.jpg

The other line from condenser to evaporator is still an issue. I have it heat shielded but I feel like it gets too hot at the header / strut tower area. There's someone here that moved it out of the way somehow. I've been looking at options to use a compression hose extension like this. ( not sure on length ). I don't want to buy a crimp tool just to make one line.

Screenshot_20210326-124752_Chrome.jpg

You didn't ask the question but, seeing as though you have ac, we are in the same boat. Mine works as it is but hisses sometimes at the orifice tube in that line ( condenser to evaporator ). I think the hose is getting too hot. It'll also need one of these with a blue orifice tube for 3.99.

Screenshot_20210407-221154_Chrome.jpg

Awesome info. I have the same alternator so belt should be the same. I am wrapping everything in heat shield. Maybe to the point of being overboard but don't want any issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, and back to the AC lines. I agree and was actually thinking of making my own lines and running them inside the fender. My friend has the crimp tool to make your own lines. I will see how bad it is like this and if it is bad I will try to fab my own.

Chris

No problem. After the belt runs on the car and gets warm it'll have to be adjusted again. The rule of thumb is 1/2 inch for every foot of length in the longest straight section. That's pushing down in the middle of that span.

With the AC on the belt would chirp one time when revving pretty hard. It didn't do that with normal spirited acceleration. Only on quick punches of the throttle. I attributed this to a little belt slip because of the rather small amount of belt wrap on the compressor. I could have tightened the belt up more but didn't want to stress any of the bearings in anything. Had that belt on for a while and it still looks brand new. Since I went to electric steering the belt no longer does that.

No problem helping out. It's what we're here for.

Reactions: 1 user
I use a spectra short cone filter on mine but have rigged the chrome cap that's on the inside so it won't come loose and find its way into my turbo. I put a plate across the top, drilled it, and ran a bolt with red loctite through it. I also use a 90° coupler to turn it away from the radiator and down behind the passenger headlight. I'm going to make an air filter box that will take a K & N flat filter soon.

Reactions: 1 users