Couple Questions And Ideas On Rear Control Arms. Both Aftermarket And Stockers

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
I just took out a rear end of a gt that had aftermarket rear control arms and the bushings are toasted. More so than the stockers I just pulled out of another car and those were 20+ years old compared to the newer aftermarkets. Just seems for being newer they should last longer. They do have the greased fitting on them so maybe they were not properly maintained and lubed when they should have been.

I have mentioned in the past about boxing the stockers in and I have heard the reasons why I should and the binding issues. Let me say I know I am not reinventing the wheel here and my idea isnt original. I still want to box in the control arms but, I also want to cut out the oval part of the control arms and the sleeve and weld in a circular sleeve with the new bushings. Also, any reason I can't tap a grease fitting into the stockers for future maintenance? I know the stockers sleeve are fairly thin so possibly replace the sleeve portion with a thicker sleeve to accomadate for this???

Yes, I am trying to save some coin but also don't see a reason for tossing parts that I could reuse without too much complication. Especially if I have the little resources needed laying around (mig welder, metal stock).

Let me hear your opinions.

-B

• Sponsors (?)

What's your application? Purely street?
Yes. Just mainly street use. No real intentions of a track/strip car. Just a nice daily driver really, with some power. I dont plan to ever launch either of my cars but On the same note I want them to not tear themselves apart merging with freeway traffic.

In that case a properly boxed control arm will be every bit as productive as an aftermarket unit. Not sure about cutting the oval portion but with the proper bushings it should be quite satisfactory.

Possibly. It is a donor car and I have no idea on its history.

I have no experience with boxing these in but folks have posted that the oval bushings dont rotate and give like aftermarket bushings and some how cause a binding effect and make the rear unpredictable as far as spin outs and what not.