Progress Thread Cobra Rack In...Still Have Steering Slop

• Sponsors (?)

good lord, what did all those parts cost you? looks like you did not skimp on parts/rebuild work. im currently swapping my hci motor (bad valve stem seal or bad rings) to a stock motor with 113k mi. I just spent some money on parts from lmr and AM and it hurt lol really nice work cleaning up your car man!

Haha, I could have bought the car two maybe even three times over for what it cost for all of the parts. I drive it as much as I can and fix as I go with better/faster parts. Most of them have been out of necessity because something broke. I want to do a complete tear down and restore it. She deserves it. The previous owner started going down the dark path of, “because race car” with everything, so I’m glad that I bought it in the condition it’s in. I just don’t have the space or the money to tear into it. Next big thing will be sorting out the transmission. Astro’s 425 TQ t5 is only 200 more than a new Ford T5 so it seems like the logical choice.

Guys, I need to connect the horn to the new tilt steering wheel. Not sure which connector is for the horn and which one was for the airbag. I know the connectors are different from year to year. Any of you guys that have swapped can help me out?

Got the column surround and new wiper switch installed. Finally can use my wipers after two years, haha. Also did the console with the cup holders. Looks pretty good but the paint doesn’t match exactly.
E52739FD-942B-4D01-8485-9F71439B078D.jpeg
6E4B3D37-B3B6-41A1-8E55-27A931E12E64.jpeg
C87944DE-B076-4930-A385-B9A17B567447.jpeg
35323F41-19A7-4173-AF63-018FC48044C5.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Color match looks pretty good in the photos. I like it in red. Good contrast with the black cup holder and e brake seal.

Looks good and very useful. I've used mine a lot actually and haven't had an issue with shifting

Got the column surround and new wiper switch installed. Finally can use my wipers after two years, haha. Also did the console with the cup holders. Looks pretty good but the paint doesn’t match exactly.
E52739FD-942B-4D01-8485-9F71439B078D.jpeg
6E4B3D37-B3B6-41A1-8E55-27A931E12E64.jpeg
C87944DE-B076-4930-A385-B9A17B567447.jpeg
35323F41-19A7-4173-AF63-018FC48044C5.jpeg
Dang I’m getting ready to order mine, was gonna redo the original but the door tabs are completely broken through, and thas with the old fix lmr had awhile back. Questions is mine is a 91 with the same color interior. What did you use to spray it?

Color match looks pretty good in the photos. I like it in red. Good contrast with the black cup holder and e brake seal.

Looks good and very useful. I've used mine a lot actually and haven't had an issue with shifting

It’s good enough. The factory peices actually pop more and are a bit brighter but I think that’s because they were professionally detailed last year. All in all I’m happy with the look and the Dunks cups that fit in there

I really hate the slop in the steering wheel which seems worse at higher speeds. I finally got the MM steering shaft installed and it stiffened up the overall feel when steering but only eliminated some of the slop. What else am I missing? I overhauled the suspension last year except inner and outer tie rides. Is that what I'm missing? Power steering pump? Or did I F up and should have just ponied up for a cobra rack?

I can't believe how long it has been since I've posted on my progress thread. Life is a lot different now. New wife and new house with a proper garage so I can actually start making some progress on this car. Last I left off was the steering shaft replacement. It didn't help. The entire steering system needs to be replaced so that's probably going to be the only progress I make this year. I ordered the Cardone 22-2000 steering rack from Advance Auto today. They were the cheapest and the core charge was only $70.00. I also ordered the Taurus tie rod ends from Rock Auto. I'll be purchasing the rest (motorcraft pump, hoses, etc) from LMR but before I do, just wanted to check with you guys if you have any tips or nice to knows when installing the Cobra rack.

Reactions: 1 user