Ditched The 235/ 18s All Seasons For The Foundry 265 / 20 Summers ... Car Acts Like Its On Ice!

mike8750

May 30, 2017
Yep, so driver mod aside (I used the launch control at 3000 then at 4000k on both tires for a more controlled experiment ) I switched from the factory 235/50 r18 all season Neuros to the factory 'Foundry rims' with 265/40r20 Summer Pirelli's. I understand that a bigger wheel will slow down your times, but i figured with a wider summer tire i would AT MINIMUM stay the same. These are my 0-60 times with Launch Control:

@3000 RPM

235's All seasons - 5.2 (which I figured with 235s figured that was the reason i was so far off the '4.6' 60 ft the mags are claiming)

265 summers- 5.7 (???? what????)

@ 4000 RPM

235s- 5.3 consistent

265- 5.9 & 6.1 ( my god!) (with a mini burn out to boot)

How in the world?? These tires feel like im on ice! ZERO hook and horrible (and i mean horrible) wheel hop. The 235s wheel hopped but I could slip the clutch and peel out (non launch control) to a 5.1. I tried to manually launch the car with the 265s to no avail. There's no way the 2 inch rim makes THAT much of a difference. ( I took the car to the track with the 235s and ran a 2.2 60ft and a 13.3 @ 110. The 265s want to get sideways in 2nd; something i didnt feel with the 235s. What could be the problem??? Im scared to run at the track with the 265s, I dont want to put it into the wall. Something I thought the 265s would fix. Help

• Sponsors (?)

The pirellis you put on, are they the P-zero's? That's what the factory uses on the performance pack option and they are crap for traction and do not like cold weather. I can't drive mine when the temp gets too cold, and when there is the slightest bit of snow on the road it won't go anywhere, they just spin.

Yes, I bought them used. They are the factory p zeros. Whats strange is so are the 235s (albiet the all weather Neros). So the Summer performace tires at 265/20 hook less then the all weather 235 18 p zero Neros ? One sin, I bought them used, good tred left and just mounted them, didnt have them REbalanced, but i dont feel shaking or vibrating at 80 mph, so i dont think that s the problem, or is it?

I agree with Bleed Ford Blue, run drag radials at the track on your 18" wheels. However the wheel hop is another issue that needs to be solved. The increased traction will intensify the hop and transfer the shock into your drivetrain. There's a lot of companies out there that can help replace and support all the rubber that's the cause of the hop. I used BMR to solve my wheel hop problem. I no longer have wheel hop running 28" 305/17 MT drag radials.