Do any of you guys own a 2017-2023 Ford F150 with a 10 speed transmission?

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
5 Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
I've been wanting to buy a new truck and love the F150's with the 5.0. I've driven them here at work (collision repair facility) and really like the looks of them and the power of the 5.0. I've been driving my 2000 Tacoma TRD V6 for almost 20 years and really want to upgrade. The Tacoma is bulletproof, has not ever given me any problems at all since I owed it. All the major stuff has been done to it, timing belt (second one,) all new front suspension, fuel pump, fuel injectors, coil packs, etc. I had the compression checked on the motor six months ago when I did the fuel injectors and it tested remarkably well for the mileage, 251,000 miles.

I've been doing research on the new or newer F150's and read that the 10 speed transmission can do some weird things and cause people a hell of a lot of grief. Jerking, clunking, not shifting, going into limp mode, and just blowing up in general. I've always been a Ford guy and really like those trucks and would love to have one. But, after days of researching them I'm a little scared to pull the trigger on one.

So, I'm wondering if any of you gentlemen own one and what your experiences are with them. Can you fill me in?

• Sponsors (?)

@a91what, I know the 6 speed transmissions are reliable. I think 2015-2016 was the last year they installed those in the trucks. I’ve just read that the 10 speeds in 2017 and up can be nightmares.

@a91what, I know the 6 speed transmissions are reliable. I think 2015-2016 was the last year they installed those in the trucks. I’ve just read that the 10 speeds in 2017 and up can be nightmares.
Mine is a late 16 early 17 I purchased it in 17. I have no first hand experience with the 10 speed... its the same transmission that GM uses so no real change there. I think any issues may be software related.

Right. GM and Ford teamed up and designed it. I researched the GM trans and seems like the Ford has more issues. A lot of people said that Ford would reflash the computer only to end up with the same problems shortly after. Kinda bums me out that so many people are having these issues, Im ready to purchase a newer truck, but I would hate to deal with a major transmission issue like that. The reviews are unreal.

But. Im sure there are thousands of Ford truck owners who have never had a problem.

I've been wanting to buy a new truck and love the F150's with the 5.0. I've driven them here at work (collision repair facility) and really like the looks of them and the power of the 5.0. I've been driving my 2000 Tacoma TRD V6 for almost 20 years and really want to upgrade. The Tacoma is bulletproof, has not ever given me any problems at all since I owed it. All the major stuff has been done to it, timing belt (second one,) all new front suspension, fuel pump, fuel injectors, coil packs, etc. I had the compression checked on the motor six months ago when I did the fuel injectors and it tested remarkably well for the mileage, 251,000 miles.

I've been doing research on the new or newer F150's and read that the 10 speed transmission can do some weird things and cause people a hell of a lot of grief. Jerking, clunking, not shifting, going into limp mode, and just blowing up in general. I've always been a Ford guy and really like those trucks and would love to have one. But, after days of researching them I'm a little scared to pull the trigger on one.

So, I'm wondering if any of you gentlemen own one and what your experiences are with them. Can you fill me in?
check out the fordtechmakuloco on youtube he is a f150 genius, he just reviewed his own f150 he just bought, he is all knowing...
View: https://youtu.be/nAd6xGn0jcs

My DD is a '20 Platinum FX4 with Coyote. My routine after starting the truck is to put the trans in eco mode. I've found this reduces the aggression of the adaptive cruise control, which I use routinely. Even with the optional 36 gal tank, I get +20 mpg in mixed Houston driving. There may a rare instance where I accelerate between gears and it gets a little jerky, but I have no meaningful complaints about the truck/trans.

I've got a 2018 with the 10 speed. There are times when the transmission feels a little weird at slow speeds (clunky shifting, mushy) and the occasional clunky shift under moderate acceleration but it's not terrible. If I had a choice I'd go with the 6 speed. Love the coyote engine, lots of power and pretty decent gas mileage

Just found this thread…… after I sold my ‘18 2.7 eco boost f150.
I gotta say, after buying my wife’s ‘19 Cherokee with the 9 or 10 speed transmission, and absolutely hating it, I was leery of this 10spd f150 (bought it used). It was way smoother and less “clunky” than the Jeep trans. There were a lot of other things I didn’t like about my ‘18, causing me to sell, but the trans wasn’t one of them.

Oh man…… so sorry I forgot to answer here.
A big thing in the equation here is that I have always really loved my ‘02. It just feels like a truck. The ‘18, while a real nice ride, just seemed to lose that “truck” feeling to me.
I’m not sure of the weight comparisons, but my ‘02 felt a lot more solid.
Sitting side by side, the ‘02 flare side was hands down a better looking truck.
If I was in a different place, and could do a leveling kit, and some wheels and tires, and make it look more “off-road” I probably would have liked it better.
Another thing was the 4 cylinder. I’m old school, and love hearing the v8 exhaust note. While the 4cyl turbo was fast as hell, it just didn’t have the sound.

I guess after all my rambling that probably explained nothing, I just didn’t “love” the ‘18, for really no other reason than personal preference.

Got it, thanks man. I have driven quite a few of them and I know what you mean about the “truck” comment. I’m going to get the 5.0, if and when I get one.

I like the 10 speed better than the 6 speed. I bought my old truck (2015 SCAB 5.0 6 speed) CPO with 30k miles. It clunked on slow speed down shifts from day 1. I think it was 4th down shifting to 3rd? Can’t remember now. I traded they truck for a new ‘21 and I have no complaints with the 10 speed. Smooth shifts and great fuel economy. I would get the 10 speed over the 6 speed.

On another note, I like the 2.7 in my new truck better than my 5.0 in my old one. The 2.7 gets GREAT MPG’s.. 23 average in 20k miles. The 5.0’s was 18 in about 20k. The 2.7 makes huge torque down low. Seat of the pants, power/acceleration feels the same. Both trucks were rated to tow similar weights too. I would recommend the 5.0 to anyone. The next truck I buy will be another 2.7 though.

I jumped the gun and bought my truck online, without really “shopping around”.
I wish I would have driven the 5.0 and the 2.7 before I decided to purchase.
Who knows, I may still have gone 2.7 because they were considerably cheaper than equally equipped v8’s.

Either way, I’m happy I’m back in my ‘02 with the 5.4. The 13mpg aint so great though, but I’m only 12 miles from work (about 2 gallons a day). Lol