Do I have to drop the fuel tank to install a battery tray in the trunk?

sbelyo

Jun 10, 2005
I want to install a taylor battery relocation kit in my 01 GT. Do I have to drop the fuel tank before drilling the holes?

And if I do, do i have to disconnect the fuel line and all the other hoses?

Are there any easy ways of doing this?

• Sponsors (?)

Is there not a gap between the tank and trunk? I've never done a relocation in a Mustang but if there is a gap that you can get a nut on the bolts (can fit your hand in there) then drilling shouldn't be too bad. If the gap is close, take some electrical or duct tape and wrap it around the drill bit 1/2 inch (or whatever) from the tip so it won't pull through. Hope that makes sense. :shrug:

jeffnoel said:
Yes you need to lower the front of the tank so you can drill and bolt the box in place.

That's what I figured.... I don't have to disconnect any fuel lines right?

Also is the any direction w/pics that shows me how to do that the right way/

And what type of bolts should you use to secure the tray? I was thinking 5/16" but I'm not certain on self tapping or nut and lock washer?

I've got the Taylor box installed and you use the long through bolts that came with it. One nut between the tank and trunk, another inside the box and then the wing nuts on top. I placed a block of wood on my floor jack loosened the tank bolts and lowered it just enough get the lower set of nuts on. I also purchased some cheap insurane called a drill stop. It mounts to your drill bit so that it won't go to far and get the tank.

You actually don't have to. I've seen it done a few times without dropping the tank, but there was a lot of "Be careful dude, don't get the tank" goin on. You can do it, you just have to be careful. Tank is easy enough to drop, and when I do mine, I'll drop it.

I'm going to take the tray underneath and see if there's a way I can position it so that when I drill I wont be near anything.

But if dropping the tank a little doesn't require any fuel line disconnects, it's a no brainer