Do I need new headers?

Lannoir

Mar 31, 2020
Cumming
Hey guys so I have a 2002 v6 automatic, and I have a problem. Because of a problem with my cats getting clogged I need a new exhaust, but I need to know like in the next 24 hours: can I bolt 2.5” Mac off road h pipe to the stock headers on my v6? Because I’m out a car and a way to work until I get this fixed, so I need answers ASAP please. And I can’t afford new headers so that’s out of the question...????? Please help someone

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Happy to help, need more information.
1) Are you running the vehicle’s stock exhaust Manifolds, or aftermarket shorty, or long-tubular Headers (if so, by what MFG?).
2) Was the MAC catless H pipe you bought intended for usage with stock exhaust manifolds, or long tubular headers(Part #?).
3) Car has/has the stock Y exhaust system, or has been modified to run dual exhaust, front to back?

-Usually, shorty headers, like stock manifolds, bolt up to a stock-type exhaust system (ball & socket (2) bolt flange design w/downpipes) without modification.
- Long tube headers will not bolt up to the vehicle’s stock exhaust systems without pipe length modification in addition to adding (3) bolt header collector flanges.
Either are easily converted in a pinch with an angle grinder, MIG welder, few pieces of pipe, and/or collectors.
Best!
-John

Hi,
Happy to help, need more information.
1) Are you running the vehicle’s stock exhaust Manifolds, or aftermarket shorty, or long-tubular Headers (if so, by what MFG?).
2) Was the MAC catless H pipe you bought intended for usage with stock exhaust manifolds, or long tubular headers(Part #?).
3) Car has/has the stock Y exhaust system, or has been modified to run dual exhaust, front to back?

-Usually, shorty headers, like stock manifolds, bolt up to a stock-type exhaust system (ball & socket (2) bolt flange design w/downpipes) without modification.
- Long tube headers will not bolt up to the vehicle’s stock exhaust systems without pipe length modification in addition to adding (3) bolt header collector flanges.
Either are easily converted in a pinch with an angle grinder, MIG welder, few pieces of pipe, and/or collectors.
Best!
-John
I still have the stock manifolds on her, and she still has the stock y pipe. The h pipe I bought said it works with aftermarket shorty headers or the stock manifolds, but I wanted to make sure because the shorty headers it said it worked with were 2.5” but the stock pipe is 2.25” so I assumed that the stock manifolds came out to 2.25 collectors, which is what has been tripping up my brain. Just wanted to make sure she won’t need much modification. Also I now have a second question... because of legal reasons, I have decided to fab in two slp high flow cats into the h pipe. Will a v6 with true duals, slp high flow cats on an h pipe, and flowmaster super tens still be really, really shockingly loud? Because I know it would be if it was catless but I wanted to make sure I won’t lose too much volume with the high flow cats, because I really want her to be attention-grabbing....? Thank you for all your help bro.

Look at my build thread. I have installed:

Shorty Headers
Custom X Pipe
440 Flowmaster American Thunder (V8 Version) Dual 2.5 inch

This is on my Convertible and is TOO loud for what I intended, but its on there so It will remain

Hi,
IMO, Best thing to do is pick up the phone & call the Mfg.& ask if uncertainty abounds in the future vs.stressing over it.
Cat’s, smart move! SLP Cat’s won’t quite have the effect that OE Cat’s did on sound suppression, should give a deeper note & they’ll still hear you coming.
Most importantly, you’ll be legal & not spewing Nox, CO, and HCs everywhere.
Good luck!
-John

Reactions: 1 user