Does anyone know of a reliable shop that can install a TKO600 for me in MD?

• Sponsors (?)

if its just the trans... yea ive done it before... but i need more info on the tko600... i think there is something that needs to be done with the mount. as well as the bell housing has to be from a fox. Which i hope to god dosent cause interference with your bling bling headers. You might need a DS spacer as well im not sure about the 5/8'' different input shaft length.

Few questions:

I assume your going to use the same clutch?

You going to do a new TOB/ Pilot bearing. I dont think you need it but you might want a new TOB but hey if yours not squeeling yet dont worry about it.

The other thing is... would it be cheaper to have geforce just change out your 5th gear??? I hate to see you re buying things... Just wondering if there is another option

Handtools and no lift for the win:
Picture201804.jpg picture by blindfoldedhope - Photobucket
Picture201805.jpg picture by blindfoldedhope - Photobucket

Also you might want to find a gear calculator... Find out what RPM that you want to be at. And find out exactly what it takes to get there

Fifth gear is the easiest to get too. All you have to do is disconnect the tailhouse, and it hangs out the back of the case. You punch out one roll pin on the shifting mechanism, and it slides right off the shaft as an assembly. Piece of cake. You have to take the mainshaft to a gear shop to have the new gears pressed on.

In order to put a TKO-600 in your car, you are going to need a driveshaft extender. Steeda sells it, and it looks like a mini wheel spacer. The TKO-600 comes with it's own special bellhousing, you don't use one off a Fox. However, you do need a clutch fork from a Fox. If you intend to keep a dustcover for the fork, that also has to come from a Fox. Throwout bearing is the same. You will need to drill the holes on the crossmember back a little. Also, the factory hanger for the mid pipe won't fit. You will either need to leave it off, or build your own hanger for the mid pipe. I made a special one out of quarter inch steel, washers, and two S hooks from home depot. The headers shouldn't be an issue. An SN bellhousing is typically more restrictive when it comes to headers, because of the location of the clutch fork.

Kurt

Yeah, scratch that on the 5th gear anyway. If you change the ratio, you have to change out the mainshaft anyway, as the 5th gear on the mainshaft is machined into the shaft itself. You can't just press it on like I said above.

Kurt

With that big of an engine, you might want to consider a 3.55:1 or maybe even a 3.27:1 final gear. I know that I'm already topping out my engine at 6200rpms and a 3:55 gear going through the traps, and you have more engine that I do.

Kurt

Well, update. I decided to go with RNH Performance. They have done the TKO600 swap before and know just how to dial it all in. I cant get the .68 gear I want so I will prolly switch to 3.73's down the road if I want to get it perfect for 5th.

I was talking to chris last night... tkos are also a noisy trans... he said the only way to get rid of the noise is go t56. :shrug:

My 3550 is a little noisy, but not bad. About the same as a T-5 anyway. They all get a little noisier when you put a solid shift handle on them.

Kurt

Maybe... but i dont know man i just dont think its worth spending the $$$ when you have the g force... Just change the rear gears again first since it looks like you going to do it anyway... and see if you like it more :shrug:

The G-Force has straight cut gears, and the TKO trannies have helical cut gears like a stock tranny. That's where the noise difference comes from.

Understandable on the rear end gear. Though I don't think it will make that much difference.

Kurt

The straight cut gears don't specifically have anything to do with the shifting. The gears are in mesh all the time, it's the type of synchronizers they use. Keep in mind, the only thing someone has to do to make that transmission work on a Foxbody is swap out the input shaft. you don't even have to take the transmission apart for that, just remove the retainer. It shouldn't be too hard.

Kurt