Does having an exhaust vented to the sides of the car slow you down?

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
Take away horsepower? Also, would it be any quieter than dumps? Reason I am asking is that if the exhaust shop says they can get past my new suspension without clanging at various rpms (which I CANT STAND) I would rather go side exhaust - with a more diagonal out..no 180* bend.

p.s. If I did away with the H-Pipe and went straight to mufflers and then side exit..What would that do?

• Sponsors (?)

Can't get past without clanging at various rpms??? What does that mean? If it clears, it clears... I've custom made a 3" system that fit around a antiroll bar and a 325 tire, and I am far from an exhaust shop, just used various bends and welded it all together.

You want a H or X-pipe in that system....

I've never really been a huge fan of the side exhasut except when guys use the SVO side pieces, atleast then it doesn't look "red neck" IMO.

I didn't think the car was that loud with the dumps, with the windows up I could barely tell...:shrug: My version of loud may be a lil different.

Well, they did my exhaust once b4 and it waas too close to something and clanged when I hit it. drove me nuts. Ok, I'll keep the H and get them to route it properly. Thanks Rick.

if you get the kits in a box they are restrictive because they go into the muffler and come out the same side they go in...understand what im saying?? the problem you run into is sub-frame connectors ...im also not a fan of side exhaust i say dumps

Hey Keith.
I had dumped flowmaster 40 series...I didn't mind the tone it was just the resonation and fumes for the kids..........I switched to the Borla side exhaust the enters and exits both in the front...I bought Dan's old set up.......I installed underdrive pulleys and ran a 13.39 from the previous best of 13.51 so I don't THINK the change in exhaust hurt me.........
Will