• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-

Door vinyl coming off HELP!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter larbec7
  • Start date Start date Jul 18, 2011
L

larbec7

New Member
May 28, 2007
25
0
0
Jul 18, 2011
#1
  • Jul 18, 2011
  • #1
This is the 3rd time this past year that my vinyl has come loose from my door panel. The drivers side door is starting to come loose. I keep my Stang IMMACULATE and never use things like armor all on the inside. Ford suggested I spray the adhesive spray and it worked the first time for 3 months , the 2nd about 90 days and last week it lasted a day. I am cleaning the door very well before I glue it back on.

Can anyone tell me what type of glue to use so it will stay and not fall back down? I can add a pic if someone tells me how

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • Car door.webp
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,493

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,394
21,600
234
Box behind Walmart
Jul 18, 2011
#2
  • Jul 18, 2011
  • #2
Take the door panel completely off and lay it flat. Use a small bead of hot glue around the outside of the offending panel and 3M spray adhesive for the rest.

Work from the bottom up using a roller of some sort (paint, dough, whatever you got).
Spray the adhesive on the vinyl side and roll it.
Put your hot glue around the edges then trace that edge seam with a screen installation tool (found your local hardware store)
Let it dry and clean the excess off with Goo-be-gone.

The door panel should last longer than the rest of the car.
 
L

larbec7

New Member
May 28, 2007
25
0
0
Jul 20, 2011
#3
  • Jul 20, 2011
  • #3
Thanks I will try this. I emailed Ford AGAIN and they MAY take a look at it. If not I will do what you suggest this weekend
 

FordCustSrvc

Active Member
Oct 25, 2010
508
37
29
Dearborn, MI
Jul 20, 2011
#4
  • Jul 20, 2011
  • #4
Hi larbec7,

I am able to review your case, and see if there is anything I can do to help with your door vinyl. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state and I will assist.

~Natasha
 
Reactions: Bojingles
3

37ford

Member
Jun 12, 2002
35
0
6
MS
Jul 28, 2011
#5
  • Jul 28, 2011
  • #5
I'm having the same trouble

My DS started coming off about 6 months ago. I used 3M 90 (the most expensive I could find) to reattach it. That worked for a few months. The foam padding was breaking down and seemed to be the weak link. The second time I used contact adhesive. I figured that would be the end of it, but it's coming loose again. Now, there's probably so much dried glue on it that it might be impossible to repair properly. Plus, the PS is starting to come loose now.
 
3

37ford

Member
Jun 12, 2002
35
0
6
MS
Jul 28, 2011
#6
  • Jul 28, 2011
  • #6
Also, the console pad is coming loose from the plastic frame underneath. My resume fell off in my lap about a year ago. i was told I had to buy the whol cruise control set in order to replace one plastic button cover. I just glued it back solid.

I've really enjoyed my 05 GT, but it's falling apart on the inside despite being well taken care of, which is very disappointing.
 

Elcabro

New Member
Aug 8, 2012
1
0
1
Kissimmee, Florida
Aug 8, 2012
#7
  • Aug 8, 2012
  • #7
my mustant is suffering from this same problem, now my question is, what else can be done other than using adhesive, is there any other solution
mine is a 2007 mustang, and other than that vinyl panel coming loose everything else is ok with it
 
T

Tboni

New Member
Oct 3, 2013
1
0
2
Oct 3, 2013
#8
  • Oct 3, 2013
  • #8
I took my 2006 Mustang to the Ford dealer and they would not even repair it if I paid them. I think if so many people are having problems that they should do a recall and repair this. I have never owned a car that this happened before. It didn't even happen to my first Mustang which I bought in 1966. And no car since then including Ford & Nissan & Volvo products. It is obviously a large problem if you look on the Internet there are hundreds of sites dealing with this one problem. I am really not that upset I just think that Ford needs to step up and admit that there is a problem and left their FORD dealers fix it for people and not put us through all this.
 
P

pmach1jeff

Member
Nov 22, 2013
2
1
14
Nov 22, 2013
#9
  • Nov 22, 2013
  • #9
I had the same problem with my panel and found an upgrade kit in Muscle Mustangs and fast Fords from Predator Mustang in Jan. 2014 issue. It was easy to install , looks great and I even won a First place trophy with them in last car show in Houston.
 

Attachments

  • P1010453.webp
    177.9 KB · Views: 2,869
Reactions: racerraj
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
01 GT DRIVERS SIDE DOOR LOCK CYLINDER LINKAGE
  • Scwhitten
  • May 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
258
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 19, 2026
melo.timo
M
Interior and Upholstery Best vinyl adhesive for door panels?
  • wobbyguy
  • Jan 27, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 31, 2025
limp
Door glass fastener question
  • limp
  • May 24, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
305
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 25, 2026
limp
T
Convertible A-pillar weatherstrip issues
  • thiefofcheese
  • Oct 24, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
408
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Nov 20, 2025
AeroCoupe
M
Too much for me to repair in my current housing situation
  • My Drama Magnet 04 Gt
  • Apr 1, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
8
Views
376
The Welcome Wagon Apr 14, 2026
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?