• Sponsors(?)

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Checked out the cobra last night. Cool guy and cool car. I'm going to help him tear it down this weekend.

Got the hood on. My dumb arse filled over the hole for the prop rod. Either I'll cut it out later today or order hood struts. I'll post some pics later.

Essn95

Advanced Member
Jun 21, 2017
Checked out the cobra last night. Cool guy and cool car. I'm going to help him tear it down this weekend.

Got the hood on. My dumb arse filled over the hole for the prop rod. Either I'll cut it out later today or order hood struts. I'll post some pics later.
Hood struts! Cleans up the area

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Out of stock...when it comes back I'm sure they'll be 200 bucks.

Screenshot_20210406-102840_Yahoo Mail.jpg

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Those things suck..they put a tremendous amount of pressure on the hinge, and push the hood all out of alignment. I tried a pair on the red car.
I took them off and sent them back.

You're back from the dead my friend. :nice:

If they do that it wouldn't be good at all. A friend of mine has a set on his car but the hood is stock. MRT says to contact them and they can adjust pressure for different hoods. I won't order shelf units. Guess I'll be emailing them and trying to call tomorrow.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
You're back from the dead my friend. :nice:

If they do that it wouldn't be good at all. A friend of mine has a set on his car but the hood is stock. MRT says to contact them and they can adjust pressure for different hoods. I won't order shelf units. Guess I'll be emailing them and trying to call tomorrow.
i’m not saying don’t get a set of hood struts, I’m saying don’t get those MRT things. If they adjust the shock pressure, then maybe they won’t suck ( as bad), but to me it’s a simple matter of geometry. The intersect point on the hood ( hinge) for their lift shock is too close to the base mount point. Closing the hood is the problem, as it compresses that thing and wads up all that pressure on the hinge.
and again to me,...any pressure on the hinge, is too much pressure.

I made a pair for my trunk, but don’t remember where I got the ball mounts from. I just went to o’reillys and started out with a set of struts that were rated to a certain lift pressure and compressed/extended length. then just went back and exchanged til I got just the right lift effort w/o putting too much pressure on the mount points.

For such a DIY crafty kinda guy, you should be able to find those ball mounts on just about any JY hood/trunk out there and make it work.

Good work on your “acid trip” hood. The body work and paint look top notch.

Reactions: 90sickfox

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
i’m not saying don’t get a set of hood struts, I’m saying don’t get those MRT things. If they adjust the shock pressure, then maybe they won’t suck ( as bad), but to me it’s a simple matter of geometry. The intersect point on the hood ( hinge) for their lift shock is too close to the base mount point. Closing the hood is the problem, as it compresses that thing and wads up all that pressure on the hinge.
and again to me,...any pressure on the hinge, is too much pressure.

I made a pair for my trunk, but don’t remember where I got the ball mounts from. I just went to o’reillys and started out with a set of struts that were rated to a certain lift pressure and compressed/extended length. then just went back and exchanged til I got just the right lift effort w/o putting too much pressure on the mount points.

For such a DIY crafty kinda guy, you should be able to find those ball mounts on just about any JY hood/trunk out there and make it work.

Good work on your “acid trip” hood. The body work and paint look top notch.

Thanks Mike. Means a lot coming from you.

I think I could make them. There's also a seller on flea bay that has knock offs for 80 bucks. Might try them. The struts aren't hard to find if I need to get lighter ones.

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
My middle son has moved with me from Maryland. I'm overjoyed. He's an amazing, soon to be, 17 year old. The 2019 may be getting sold and a F450 may mysteriously pop up in my driveway.

7991LXnSHO

Now I want a 10 year badge
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
Almost there.

20210403_233809.jpg

20210403_235147.jpg

Drove Dusty today with no hood. Had 3 guys offer me 10k....one owns a body shop and had his wife with him. She said the car sounded better than his bike. He gave me his number and offered me 10k. Another guy has a 01 real supercharged cobra convertible that's in great shape with a 04 front bumper. The engine runs but has low compression on a couple cylinders. Block has been built in 16 and has all paperwork. He also just got the t56 rebuilt and upgraded by Hanlon. This guy is offering me trade plus some cash.

These pics are blurry and screen shots from the running video he sent me. I'm really going to have to think on this one.

Screenshot_20210404-000821_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210404-000802_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210404-000749_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210404-000739_Video Player.jpg

It's a very nice looking car with all paperwork. I'm really wondering if a trade and 5k would get it done.

Edit; who am I kidding. I'd regret every day that Dusty was gone. I'm going to have to pull some cash from somewhere.
I missed the week’s progress. The top primer photo looks like a replacement metal hood.

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Well guys no f450 dually. Couldn't get the old lady to agree to me running cars on the weekends. Can't win all the battles. It had 185k on a diesel 6.4L. Ran and drove well but not the most reliable thing. Replacement engine is 7k without labor or other parts and pieces. Plus, it would've taken up my whole dang driveway.

The thing had a sunroof and all the bells and whistles.

Screenshot_20210412-100505_Chrome.jpg

I am in the process of buying a 2012 f150 super cab with 4 wheel drive though. It's a 2012 but has low mileage. The 19 mustang ecoboost is back to completely stock and selling at 20k with 51k on the clock. Getting me out of paying another 28k on the loan. My auto stuff was almost getting in the way of me buying some real estate with a good rate.

Screenshot_20210413-021343_Chrome.jpg

See, I'm not rich after all. Debt to income ratio is a real thing....who woulda' thunk it.

I'll talk her into a diesel f450 King Ranch in a couple years.

MustangIIMatt

I need something stupid to play with
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Well guys no f450 dually. Couldn't get the old lady to agree to me running cars on the weekends. Can't win all the battles. It had 185k on a diesel 6.4L. Ran and drove well but not the most reliable thing. Replacement engine is 7k without labor or other parts and pieces. Plus, it would've taken up my whole dang driveway.

The thing had a sunroof and all the bells and whistles.

Screenshot_20210412-100505_Chrome.jpg

I am in the process of buying a 2012 f150 super cab with 4 wheel drive though. It's a 2012 but has low mileage. The 19 mustang ecoboost is back to completely stock and selling at 20k with 51k on the clock. Getting me out of paying another 28k on the loan. My auto stuff was almost getting in the way of me buying some real estate with a good rate.

Screenshot_20210413-021343_Chrome.jpg

See, I'm not rich after all. Debt to income ratio is a real thing....who woulda' thunk it.

I'll talk her into a diesel f450 King Ranch in a couple years.
Dodged a bullet not getting that 6.4 Powerjoke. Take all of the problems of the 6.0, add a few more, and make a few of them so bad that there isn't a good long-term solution, and you have the 6.4L Powerjoke.

The 6.0 was so defective Ford demanded Navistar build them something else, the 6.4 was so bad that Ford tried their hand at making their own diesel and Navistar's own dealers started insisting on Cummins engines for International trucks.

MustangIIMatt

Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
7.3 turbo FTW
I'd rather be Cummin than 'strokin, but 7.3L tractor engines aren't so bad.

6.7L Cummins is having your cake and eating it too. Cleaner emissions, easier to work on, needs it less, runs smoother, and that fuel economy. Only time I've ever seen a dually get 20mpg was in a 6.7L Ram, the earliest versions with the least emissions gear on them were miracle engines.

There's a reason hot-shot LTL drivers all run leased Fords or own a Ram. The Cummins Rams are economical to run, and the leased Fords are either Ford or Enterprise's problem when it breaks down.

Last edited:
Reactions: General karthief

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Looked at a f250 super crew cab with the 6.2 gas engine. It was nice but had 20 thousand more on the price tag.

This 3.7 is known to get over 300,000 miles on them without major work. It'll take the trash and pull a car on a dolly or open car trailer.

Last edited:

MustangIIMatt

Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
Looked at a f250 super crew cab with the 6.2 gas engine. It was nice but had 20 thousand more on the price tag.

This 3.7 is known to get over 300,000 miles on them without major work. It'll take the trash and pull a car on a dolly or open car trailer.
imag0767_31d01bfe07456ff8199307f9fe4dc032888c77be.jpg
imag1154_b568b122422d90b09765a84b6fb0ecccd1f31e8e.jpg

our-truck-truck-pics-thread-img_20160807_092746601.jpg

I wasn't BS'in in my review of the 12th-gen F150 when I said the 3.7 was a BEAST for towing. I still stand by my statement that towing is all that powertrain combination was great at (3.7/6R80/3.73). It got horrible gas mileage empty on the highway (my V8, full-time-four-wheel-drive, with one fewer gear in the transmission, and lower gears in the diffs 4Runner matches it!!!!), and was a pig for a daily driver, but putting a load behind it and hitting the "tow/haul" button put that truck in its happy place.

Did you end up with a 3.7 in the new truck?