• Sponsors (?)

Big plans didn't happen. The 49 is not in our driveway yet.

Ran into another issue last night. I put a minor tear in my only sytemax upper intake gasket. I'll piddle with it a bit more until the gasket comes in.

Adjusted the valves ( they were not making a bunch of noise....just wanted to check them all ).

Here's how Dusty sits today. Maybe I'll put some more paint and clear on the valve covers.

20200412_143344.jpg

I should clean up the harness at the firewall and finish wiping it down. I should....but....

Looking good. I like the braided wiring covering better than the convoluted crap. When I redid the wiring on my 85, I used all braided wraps. I wanted to use heat shrink to seal where the wires come out of harnesses, but I'd get in such a hurry doing things, I'd forget and then couldn't get the heat shrink over the connector(s). I need to google and see if they heat shrink tape. Wrap it loose, heat it up and it shrinks and seals. If not, someone SHOULD make that!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Started pulling the harness apart. This stuff was wrapped by almost 15yrs ago. Whatever tape I used was the bees knees. That was around the time I learned to only use electrical tape that had the UL symbol printed on the inside of the roll. The engine bay has irritated me on this car for years now. This was supposed to happen when I pulled the engine and transmission for the " beautification process ". The car existed in this state just to get it running. So much for that.... I'm tackling it now.

20200413_202000.jpg

I've been using the stock prop valve for a 98 sn95. Back in the day we used to pull the cap off, gut it, and tap it for 1/8th not for a pipe plug. Since I had all the stuff I decided to do the same.

20200415_172539.jpg

20200415_173234.jpg

It works...that's how we used to do it. However, I don't like the look. Guess I'm slowly turning into one of those people. I didn't uses to give 2 $*t$ about what something looked like as long as it worked.

20200415_182512.jpg

By the time you read this one will be on order. I had the stuff sitting around so cost me zero. Was something to get my mind off all the folks getting this stimulus money. I checked IRS...no money fo po me.

This DEI Easy Loom is becoming my favorite thing. Ordered from Summit and couldn't be happier. Now I have 3/8, 1/2, and 1 inch. They even included a wine voucher for 100 bucks. They ole lady will love that.

20200416_181556.jpg

I want to put this in place of the coupler for the rear brakes in the upper right corner. With AC and my booster vacuum pump being over there I just don't know how feasible that is.

20200416_181725.jpg

Glad I checked Summit. They had these 4 gaskets for my Systemax for about 24 bucks. The gasket I usually order is about 40 bucks each. LMR is taking care of my current order. Can't wait till next weekend, Dusty, will be driving again.

20200416_181111.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
This is how he sits tonite. Just one little nest of wires in the passenger corner of the firewall to take care of. Then I get to wire in my vacuum pump permanently, get the intake back on, and bleed the brakes.

20200416_205447.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
This thing is back together and a little cleaner and tidier.

The manual proportion valve fits perfect above the vacuum pump. No need to reinvent the wheel on this one. Now the engine bay is balanced with the wiper motor and bunch of wiring harnesses in the other corner.

20200419_094642.jpg

Still need to fill the coolant, put the car on stands, and bleed the brakes. Waiting for LMR to deliver the plug and a couple other goodies.

20200419_150749.jpg

Gotta run. It's time to cut the other half of the yard...wash the vehicles ( 4 ) and sit down to watch Netflix. Oh...and fix the tire on the Taurus. I don't know where this woman finds nails at. If there's one out there she's guaranteed to run over it. Every tire on that thing has at least one plug in it. Plugs aren't the best thing for a tire but this car sees 45mph max...and a 2 mile commute.

Tree guy was supposed to come today to trim some stuff and take down a dead ash tree. The guy never showed up. The tree has bark peeling and a hole in it about 20ft up. He said he was nervous about it...maybe his nerves got the best of him. We've got to find a way to get it down 'cause its leaning towards the house. If it goes there will be a new sky light in the kitchen ceiling.

Do y'all think it would be a bad idea to put a 5.0 and an aode in the 49 ? I've got a spare engine and the transmission is easy to come across. It'll have a Ford Explorer disc brake rear in it anyway so it won't be all Mopar as it is. This is the ladies car and she wants to cruise without shifting gears.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sure you could stick the 5.0 in there but my feeling is it needs a few more cubes to get that tub moving.
a 351 or better yet a 360 mopar is what it needs. That and a aod with a 373 gear will make it peppy enough.

The old flathead runs but the PO thinks it needs a timing chain. He is including a 360. The 302 is narrower and fits in without having to modify the firewall for the distributor or serious modification to the steering shaft. I like column shifted cars but the wife isn't entertained by it. I was thinking I'll refresh and bag the original stuff. I could build the 302 and put a dual plane intake, RV cam, and a edelbrock 500. I could buy a AOD with the AODE upgrades.( don't know why I was thinking AODE...nothing in this car will be electronically controlled ). 373 gears would be nice. I've got to find out what gears were in the straight axle Explorers. She doesn't want it fast....just reliable and simple.

Oh yay !!! The joy of redoing battery cables. I found a little corrosion at a cable splice to the main battery cable. It came with a little screw that clamped the cable in....that thing sucked. I found a battery post clamp that I had laying around. If my MAP gas torch wasn't empty and the stores didn't close at 7 this would be done already. Looks like more unplanned work on Dusty. My partial tuck puts most stuff behind the drivers fender. That's a good thing 'cause I've got to pull the wheels to bleed the brakes anyway. I'll stop after work and grab a bottle...and a self lighting torch. I'm getting lazy in my later years ( 42 haha ). Tired of having to find a lighter or a spark box.

20200420_211002.jpg

That little plastic strap is going to get removed. Most of them are broken on most cars. I was proud of my washer bottle lid strap...oh well...its in the dang way.

• Hell Yeah!
This whole working on the car thing always turns into more stuff.

Had some fun with some battery cable ends.

Add some solder

20200421_230509.jpg

Insert cable

20200421_230711.jpg

Add heat shrink

20200421_190838.jpg

Finally did something about the alternator fuse that kind of just floated around between the battery and the coil.

20200421_212646.jpg

The cap for the 98 prop valve came in today. Got the o ring GB swapped over and the thing installed.

20200421_212637.jpg

Picked up some caliper paint to paint these Cobra front and rear calipers. I was going to paint them something other than red but the are 04 calipers and came red from the factory. They will probably get changed over the winter for ATS fronts and taurus rears. I think I can live with the red for a little while.

I went to price a self starting torch and they want way too much. Just a cylinder of MAP gas was 14 bucks. They wanted almost 50 bucks just for a self lighting torch head. Guess I'll keep my flash pan...and a co UK please lighters laying around. There's no way I can justify spending that on a click button torch head.

When I did this half wire tuck I was outside in my driveway. I said I was going to straighten it out so today was the day. All of this from trying to wire in the vacuum pump.

Had help....my 13yr old removed the drivers fender and installed the little triangle mirror covers. The guy did an excellent job.

20200422_111625.jpg

This is the aftermath.

20200422_204522.jpg

What happened was....I got to the harness and had no idea what I was looking at. I had a mysterious green wire that was unplugged from somewhere. Didn't know what it was for or where it went. Traced it and found it was the tach signal wire to my Autometer. Then remembered that I had just stuck it in the ground connector of the coil and never wired it in. That had to change.

Another quest that started as a gingerly walk down wiring and solder road ended up being an all day thing. Rerouted all the wires. They look a little bunched up because the factory wiring and connectors are still there. I refuse to remove any of it. The four added things are the vacuum pump, cooling fans, fog lights, and the line lock. I had no fuse going to the fog light relay...just straight wired. I know I thou thought it was temporary but I must've been drinking something really good.

Everything is now labeled ( green masking tape made into a tab that has what the circuit is on it ) and the fuse holders are color coded to the harnesses they relate to.

White for vacuum pump....blue for the fans...yellow for the fog lights.

20200422_205022.jpg

All the added circuits are on one post of my GM truck power distribution block. The harnesses have been organized, taped, labeled, and secured. Got it all done....except the ignition power wire for the vacuum pump relay. Yup...still gotta do it. All my circuits are ground triggered so no obvious wires behind the fender. I'll find one tomorrow or run the wire into the car and tap in there.

Still didn't bleed the brakes....or paint the calipers. I want to tidy up the rear brake line junction at the IRS. At this rate I'll be done with this sometime this year. :doh:

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
No pics today ( I'm pulling a Mike ). I got the vacuum pump wired up. It works great. This little endeavor has again raised my OCD level. The wiring is ridiculous under my dash. Stuff is going everywhere. I attempted to route everything the simplest neatest way....but it looks like pure *$$.

Due to the fact that I need to get the brake calipers and bracket painted and rear line redone ( just 'cause it looks wonky ), I'm not digging in to this now. To do it correctly I'd have to remove the drivers seat and lay in there on my back. All those wires need to be labeled, put in a loom, and ran like a real harness. I also need to wire in a fuse box or two. I popped the mini fuse in my multimeter doing an amp draw test a couple months ago. Can't find them in the store so I gotta order a few. Then I can properly size everything and do it the " right " way.

Reactions: 1 user
Still no pics. For people that follow my build you know I put a subaru forester Gentex gntx ghshl4 12 pin rear view camera mirror in Dusty. I wired it in but the two power leads were wired in to ignition 12v. That kept the garage genie from working ( it needs constant 12v ). There is almost no info on the interwebs about this. Since I was already in the wiring I figured I'd fix it. The blue wire is switched 12v...the gray wire is constant 12v. I can't get a mirror tab to stay on the windshield no matter what I try. It doesn't really matter because I need a new one anyways. This one has a few chips in it.

I don't have pics because the inside of the car looks like a bomb went off. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a fuse box for the switched 12v source. There's way too much going on under there. I'm going to add a couple constant 12v sources in the box as well. With all the gauges, WB, stereo, ECU, and other stuff going on it's getting crazy.

I had an exhaust leak at the drivers side header to crossover pipe connection. Removed the V band and added some high temp sealant. That's the only connection that I didn't put any on when I put it together. I have no idea why....maybe I forgot.

My neighbor across the street just bought in to the Matco truck business. I spent about 2 hrs on there today. Theres a hydraulic brake line flaring tool that almkst has my name on it. Reminded me of when I was working flat rate and spending my check on the tool trucks. I'm glad he's there though...just in case.

The plan was to fire the car up tomorrow, set the timing, and paint the calipers. The wife has other plans. We're going out of state to take her Dad a present for his 60th birthday. That will take all day. I'll be lucky if I get to stop at a parts store.

We'll see how it all plays out. We were also supposed to go pic up the 49 tomorrow. Guess that's pushed back too. She's in no rush because I'm taking up the garage at the moment. The guy that has the car told me today that he's giving me a spare flat head engine....along with the fresh 360 and a good 727 transmission. The car already has a 8 3/4 rear. He says there should be a disc brake kit available for it. He's really trying to keep me from powering it by Ford.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Yippee !!! Got Dusty running today. Had to call Steve and pluck his nerves. I ended up finding that my IAC valve is bad. I had timing issues and the IAC had the car running at 1600+ rpm. After freaking out I unplugged and plugged it back up, that didn't work...so I banged on it. Sure as $hit the idle came down. I never removed it with the work that was just done. Don't know why it happened but it's running again.

I also did this. Not a huge fan of red brakes. These were originally red before I stripped them ( powder coat was terrible and the aluminum was oxidizing under it ).

Here's a before...

20200425_133950.jpg

Here's the during...

20200425_143510.jpg

There would be an after today but I had to order a new hardware kit. The pins were pitted with rust. $7.62 later and O'Reilly's should have it in store by 11:30 tomorrow. Gives me time to remove and paint the rear.

That's almost it for today. Went on a TP run with the wife ( toilet paper ). We had some but needed more, apparently. That turned into wine slushies.

20200425_165324.jpg

I caught her a prince but she wouldn't kiss'em. Told me to do it...but I ain't kissin' a guy. She lost her ability to ever complain about money again.

20200425_165226.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Glad you got it running and the brakes look great. I just did up a pair I have in red as well. I know red calipers are overplayed but I still think they look. If you need an IAC I will give you one...or two. I literally have 6 or 7 of them. Let me know.

Chris