revhead347

Just rub Vaseline all over
15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
You'll love the TKO600. I heard alot of complaints about it's shifting prowess,but I've no issues. It's a little notchy,yeah but it feels like a "real" manual trans.

I drove with a factory 3550 (TKO) for about a decade before I upgraded it. I've been using this transmission for 20 years now, and have gotten quite proficient at it. They can be shifted relatively quickly below 7000rpms. I did do the upgrades Hanlon recommended a few years ago. 2-3 is always a little dicey, and you need to take just a little more time with that shift. If it ever dries up here, I'll try and get someone to hold a Camera and make a video. You guys are going to :poo: yourselves when you see how fast a Hanlon prepped fully synchronized TKO can be power on shifted by an old fart that peaked a long time ago.

Kurt

• Sponsors(?)

Boostedpimp

15 Year Member
May 8, 2003
NJ
I drove with a factory 3550 (TKO) for about a decade before I upgraded it. I've been using this transmission for 20 years now, and have gotten quite proficient at it. They can be shifted relatively quickly below 7000rpms. I did do the upgrades Hanlon recommended a few years ago. 2-3 is always a little dicey, and you need to take just a little more time with that shift. If it ever dries up here, I'll try and get someone to hold a Camera and make a video. You guys are going to :poo: yourselves when you see how fast a Hanlon prepped fully synchronized TKO can be power on shifted by an old fart that peaked a long time ago.

Kurt
I'd be interested in this for sure.. i've had my 3550 for at least twelve years so I know eventually I should dig into it

90sickfox

I didn't really have an issue with the stink...
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
That dude's amazing, and you are going to end up with an amazing transmission. You probably couldn't get him on the phone, because he couldn't get anyone on the phone to get price and availability for the parts you need. Everyone just needs to bare and grit it for now. These shops are in the same boat we are in with Covid. All the suppliers are big companies that have enacted Covid policies based on recoverable profits margins. Tremec was notoriously bad to get parts from before Covid, so getting stuff now is going to be even worse. My last car project went 8 months, mostly due to Covid. I just bought a store brand AC compressor, something I swore I would never do, because, guess what, Denso blanked closed their entire distribution network 2 months ago for Covid. It sucks everywhere, don't shoot the messenger.

Kurt

Yeah Kurt, this chinavirus has everything messed up. Bob is busy with work. With people being home the projects are really taking off. He says the shop is packed with repair and installation work. I'm sure they also get a hundred calls a day from people that really don't have the money or are just seeking answers to common questions.

revhead347

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
Yeah Kurt, this chinavirus has everything messed up. Bob is busy with work. With people being home the projects are really taking off. He says the shop is packed with repair and installation work. I'm sure they also get a hundred calls a day from people that really don't have the money or are just seeking answers to common questions.

I used to fix T5s and TKOs for side cash. I know the pain. Linda probably works more answering the phones than Bob does actually working on transmissions. 9 out of 10 calls are tire kickers.

Kurt

Reactions: 90sickfox

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
I used to fix T5s and TKOs for side cash. I know the pain. Linda probably works more answering the phones than Bob does actually working on transmissions. 9 out of 10 calls are tire kickers.

Kurt

That's kind of weird. Their website is pretty good and they list their prices. Usually, when I hear that it's because their site is poor.

I did note, however, that the page showing their Koozie is not working. :notnice:

revhead347

15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
That's kind of weird. Their website is pretty good and they list their prices. Usually, when I hear that it's because their site is poor.

I did note, however, that the page showing their Koozie is not working. :notnice:

It's a Mom and Pop website, don't expect too much. They stay pretty busy.

Kurt

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015

That site is leaps and bounds better than it was a few years ago.

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I got all my stuff from MM...the transmission will be here the middle of this month...and I need more stuff.

I want to install my driveshaft loop, Magnaflow mufflers, 3in. high flow cat, exhaust hangers, and coilovers while I'm under it. I need to be able to set the ride height because of the dip at the bottom of my driveway. The driveway is a hill and the bumper just barely scrapes. The cobra front lip will bring it down another inch or so.

I want to put UPR coilovers with 175lb 14" springs on him. They are cheap but should work for what I need right now.

I also need to replace my cobra brake caliper brackets up front. They have little dips in them where the pads ride. I'd feel better with new ones ( cheap from Rockauto ).

During the winter I plan to tackle the bodywork and get the car in, at least, primer sealer.

@Davedacarpainter , what filler would you recommend ? I used Bondo Gold on a previous car but it seemed like it shrank over a couple years causing waves. My doors are really wavy and will take some skimming to get straight. Really don't want to replace them since they aren't rusty....just dinged and some waves.

Reactions: Monkeybutt2000

Davedacarpainter

I think I've messed my pants
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
I got all my stuff from MM...the transmission will be here the middle of this month...and I need more stuff.

I want to install my driveshaft loop, Magnaflow mufflers, 3in. high flow cat, exhaust hangers, and coilovers while I'm under it. I need to be able to set the ride height because of the dip at the bottom of my driveway. The driveway is a hill and the bumper just barely scrapes. The cobra front lip will bring it down another inch or so.

I want to put UPR coilovers with 175lb 14" springs on him. They are cheap but should work for what I need right now.

I also need to replace my cobra brake caliper brackets up front. They have little dips in them where the pads ride. I'd feel better with new ones ( cheap from Rockauto ).

During the winter I plan to tackle the bodywork and get the car in, at least, primer sealer.

@Davedacarpainter , what filler would you recommend ? I used Bondo Gold on a previous car but it seemed like it shrank over a couple years causing waves. My doors are really wavy and will take some skimming to get straight. Really don't want to replace them since they aren't rusty....just dinged and some waves.
I like evercoat products for filling.

Mud doesn’t shrink once hardened. Primer does the most shrinking back.

If you spread the mud over paint, that area can shrink. Not the bondo, it’s the old paint.

The chemical and physical reaction from mud hardening can potentially ruin the bond of the old paint to it’s substrate as well. Depending on the chemical properties of the old paint.

Reactions: 90sickfox

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Magnaflow mufflers and cobra caliper brackets ordered. Coilovers are next...then wheels and tires. Then I have the lovely job of finally getting to the body

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks to another thread here I'm ditching the driveshaft safety loop I have. I've had it for 6 years and haven't installed because I don't want to put holes in my floor. Now, I'm going with Stifflers. I don't know how I forgot about theirs.

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
I guess you’ve taken the “ it’s your money, and you only live once” to heart.

I did. Its been over 5 years. If I don't spend on it now it'll never get done. To be honest I'm just tired of waiting. My responsibilities and priorities are taken care of so why not. I want everything done under the car so I can move forward...literally. :burnout:

90sickfox

SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Man...these caliper brackets from the Rock look too good to paint. The description says refurbished but these are new and zinc plated.

The mufflers from Amazon showed up too. These are the same ones that match the Cobra Magnaflow tailpipes. When I bought the exhaust the guy kept the mufflers...now I have the full cobra cat back that would have been 700 buckaroos.

When I put the cobra calipers on this car the banjo bolt was too long and pushed one of the pistons out. When I went to install the brake pads hit the rotor and chipped on the edge. New pads arrived also.

I want to order an electronic cut out with a turn down....and the Stiffler drive shaft loop. Then I'll be done. Mm stuff and all the rest will be installed.

Just waiting on the transmission to get done so I can scoop that stuff up.

Attachments

• 20201007_181712.jpg
    20201007_181712.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: Davedacarpainter