• Sponsors (?)

$26,803.44 is what it would cost me to build this car to this point. ( without the TKO and without labor ). I added it all up....I guess I shouldn't have done that. I need prayer.

20200921_193747.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
$26,803.44 is what it would cost me to build this car to this point. ( without the TKO and without labor ). I added it all up....I guess I shouldn't have done that. I need prayer.

20200921_193747.jpg
You know what always makes me fell better about how much I’ve spent?

Watch one of the BS car guy shows where dude spends 100k on a restored 69 Vette....

And when the dust settles...it’s a car I could’ve bought at 21 for 6 grand that this pin head paid somebody 100k to make new again.

:ohoh: OHHHH, OHHHH!!! I’ll take do it yourself for a fraction of what dude paid for 2000.00 Alex!

Reactions: 1 users
You know what always makes me fell better about how much I’ve spent?

Watch one of the BS car guy shows where dude spends 100k on a restored 69 Vette....

And when the dust settles...it’s a car I could’ve bought at 21 for 6 grand that this pin head paid somebody 100k to make new again.

:ohoh: OHHHH, OHHHH!!! I’ll take do it yourself for a fraction of what dude paid for 2000.00 Alex!

It wouldn't feel so bad if my 19 ecoboost wasn't 22k...brand new...in 2018. I'd take DIY over that too. My next car is going to be bought with very little if any work needed. You always make out better buying something properly built from someone else....Barret Jackson is calling my name...along with a few local classic car dealers. If I were to sell my car right now I'd only get a fraction of the parts money back..not to mention the hours spent. I used to enjoy building cars. Was completely different when I had my shop and lots of time and money. I'd rather buy someone else's car at a fraction of the parts cost.

Still steaming ahead...I'm calling Hanlon again tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
Hanlon is putting together an actual estimate and should be calling me today. The 3500 was just a ball park. With all the stuff she talked about I'm sure it'll be around 4k. Its OK. Its gotta be done so I can roast tires at 60mph like Mike.

Hanlon is putting together an actual estimate and should be calling me today. The 3500 was just a ball park. With all the stuff she talked about I'm sure it'll be around 4k. Its OK. Its gotta be done so I can roast tires at 60mph like Mike.
You'll love the TKO600. I heard alot of complaints about it's shifting prowess,but I've no issues. It's a little notchy,yeah but it feels like a "real" manual trans.

No call back from Hanlon with true estimate. If they'd let me know I'd schedule when I can drive the 3.5 hours to pick it up. I'll call them back and see whats up. They must be backed up...Modern Driveline is my backup....but I won't be driving there. Lol

Every mustang parts vendor I’ve spoken too since March has been backed up, or swamped with orders or short staffed due to covid. Kinda amazing given the current economic conditions

Every mustang parts vendor I’ve spoken too since March has been backed up, or swamped with orders or short staffed due to covid. Kinda amazing given the current economic conditions
The current economic conditions aren't even across the board. Some are doing great, others not so much. It's not like a regular organic downturn.

Disposable income + time on hands = projects getting done

Now that I've finally decided to buy I can't get anyone to take my money. Hanlon was a no call no show today. I think I'm done with them for now. This is a recipe to waiting until December to get a transmission from them. If they don't have time for a guy that says , " whatever it takes, just give me a quote so I can get this money to you ", they won't have time to build my tko.

On to American Powertrain.... their catalog shows $31++ and 450 shipping. Jeeesh.

Waiting on quote from Modern Driveline. Sent an email request quote...they say 24 to 48 hours.

Hanlon called back. Bob is a great guy. 4059 for what I'm getting. He says he'd be ready for me to drive up and pick it up in 2 wks. He's doing a bunch of shift modifications to it and beefing it up a little. I hope this is the last transmission I ever need to buy for this car.

Reactions: 5 users
It's officially ordered. Bob is a wealth of knowledge. Says it'll be done around the middle of October. I'll take a road trip when its ready.

To be honest I can't believe I started dealing with other companies over the years. I should slap myself...:doh:

• Hell Yeah!
It's officially ordered. Bob is a wealth of knowledge. Says it'll be done around the middle of October. I'll take a road trip when its ready.

To be honest I can't believe I started dealing with other companies over the years. I should slap myself...:doh:

That dude's amazing, and you are going to end up with an amazing transmission. You probably couldn't get him on the phone, because he couldn't get anyone on the phone to get price and availability for the parts you need. Everyone just needs to bare and grit it for now. These shops are in the same boat we are in with Covid. All the suppliers are big companies that have enacted Covid policies based on recoverable profits margins. Tremec was notoriously bad to get parts from before Covid, so getting stuff now is going to be even worse. My last car project went 8 months, mostly due to Covid. I just bought a store brand AC compressor, something I swore I would never do, because, guess what, Denso blanked closed their entire distribution network 2 months ago for Covid. It sucks everywhere, don't shoot the messenger.

Kurt

You'll love the TKO600. I heard alot of complaints about it's shifting prowess,but I've no issues. It's a little notchy,yeah but it feels like a "real" manual trans.

I drove with a factory 3550 (TKO) for about a decade before I upgraded it. I've been using this transmission for 20 years now, and have gotten quite proficient at it. They can be shifted relatively quickly below 7000rpms. I did do the upgrades Hanlon recommended a few years ago. 2-3 is always a little dicey, and you need to take just a little more time with that shift. If it ever dries up here, I'll try and get someone to hold a Camera and make a video. You guys are going to :poo: yourselves when you see how fast a Hanlon prepped fully synchronized TKO can be power on shifted by an old fart that peaked a long time ago.

Kurt

Reactions: 2 users
I drove with a factory 3550 (TKO) for about a decade before I upgraded it. I've been using this transmission for 20 years now, and have gotten quite proficient at it. They can be shifted relatively quickly below 7000rpms. I did do the upgrades Hanlon recommended a few years ago. 2-3 is always a little dicey, and you need to take just a little more time with that shift. If it ever dries up here, I'll try and get someone to hold a Camera and make a video. You guys are going to :poo: yourselves when you see how fast a Hanlon prepped fully synchronized TKO can be power on shifted by an old fart that peaked a long time ago.

Kurt
I'd be interested in this for sure.. i've had my 3550 for at least twelve years so I know eventually I should dig into it

That dude's amazing, and you are going to end up with an amazing transmission. You probably couldn't get him on the phone, because he couldn't get anyone on the phone to get price and availability for the parts you need. Everyone just needs to bare and grit it for now. These shops are in the same boat we are in with Covid. All the suppliers are big companies that have enacted Covid policies based on recoverable profits margins. Tremec was notoriously bad to get parts from before Covid, so getting stuff now is going to be even worse. My last car project went 8 months, mostly due to Covid. I just bought a store brand AC compressor, something I swore I would never do, because, guess what, Denso blanked closed their entire distribution network 2 months ago for Covid. It sucks everywhere, don't shoot the messenger.

Kurt

Yeah Kurt, this chinavirus has everything messed up. Bob is busy with work. With people being home the projects are really taking off. He says the shop is packed with repair and installation work. I'm sure they also get a hundred calls a day from people that really don't have the money or are just seeking answers to common questions.