All clean....soon as I pick up the little pile of trash. Finally !!!
uploadfromtaptalk1473612463159.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Watch a couple games and had some 50 proof cherries....whew...that stuff was rough !!!!

Cowboys lost ( good game though ) and the Colts lost. I haven't watched a Colts game since they left Baltimore. Is it me or do they look like a college team next to the Cowboys and the Giants ?

Did a bunch more research on tuning my beast. Is it too late for me to slap the long tubes on and 30lb injectors and call it a day ?

I mean....it'll still be fast....just not as cool, or as complicated.

I'm just joking around.... I can't go out like that !!! I'm a little drunkth but not that drunkth !!!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure you guys can see the waves in my rear bumper below the tag space.
uploadfromtaptalk1473725599659.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1473725618073.jpg

I couldn't live with that so I've contemplated for months on how to fix it.

This nut buried in the side of the trunk by the fuel filler neck was a PITA !!!!
uploadfromtaptalk1473725728781.jpg

Guess you guys are going to ask if I'm going to clean the dust out of the trunk....well....I pulled four small vacuum containers out of the two holes beside the spare tire well. That doesn't include all the dust I vacuumed out when I drilled for the IRS. All the dust will never be gone....hence....Dusty

uploadfromtaptalk1473725889984.jpg

Cleaning up the support brace and the bumper support is tomorrow. I'm done for the night...must be getting old. Lol
uploadfromtaptalk1473726028028.jpg

Back to the job at hand.... Straight as an arrow thanks to HF
uploadfromtaptalk1473725938686.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Still straight when you pull the clamps off then?

I'll have to do a form of this for Robby's rear bumper when I bring it home. It had a tree that grew against it and heavily dimpled the left side.

Last edited:
Still straight when you pull the clamps off then?
Yup. There was a small wave the first heat cycle. There's a flat bar underneath, too. I heat cycled it two more times and it was straight, but I'm leaving the clamps on till I get off tomorrow. A little extra time clamped up can't hurt it.

The biggest thing was the huge bulge in the center. Heated the hell out of my knee and my finger tips. Lol

That thing stuck up about 3/8 an inch. Glad its gone.

I'm not a pro like you, man...so I hesitated for like a year. [emoji15]

Today after work....
uploadfromtaptalk1473810613739.jpg

Also, sanded primed and painted the bumper brace.
uploadfromtaptalk1473810661695.jpg

I've got to order some more 3m 04747. I'll be using epoxy on the rear and two sided tape on the sides. The tape is so I can remove the bumper if I have to.[emoji85]

Started sanding the edge of the bumper....still had a very small wave so I've got a little more heat forming to do.
uploadfromtaptalk1473898682201.jpg

Ran a tap through the nuts and chased the threads on the brackets.
uploadfromtaptalk1473898774359.jpg

Closer and closer to the end....well...new beginnings. Lol

It never stops !!!

Edit; if this was a clean good bumper I wouldn't be doing this to it....but I can't stand screws and rivets in Saleen bumpers.

Last edited:
I got the back bumper back on. This thing is far from perfect but a lot better than it was. Once I put it on he car I noticed other waves and dips that I'll remove at a later date.

I keep looking at the MS2 on diyautotune.com. Either I pull the trigger on just over 600 bucks for something I build myself.....or a lil over 800 bucks for a ready to run computer. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

I'm not a wealthy guy....so....6 or 800 bucks is a lot of money for me. Gotta do it though. The $800.00 will probably be the one.

No time to sit and solder....and I guess time is money, right ?

Reactions: 1 users
So....taking much needed advice I searched the junk yard for a dodge or jeep 5.2 to get a breather. The only one I found was completely clogged with carbon. It looked like this.....

I went to advance auto and found a plastic elbow but they don't carry the metal breather....any objections to using this plastic POS ?
uploadfromtaptalk1474132064151.jpg

Well, this is no fun....my pictures won't upload....except for the empty pack. Smh

Uhhh a diypnp is 450ish? I have to check the sight. I don't bother with the stim kit solder it up pop it in and go. I can build one in about 5hrs. (Basics no extras)
What is the stimulator kit exactly ? I have no idea but though it is needed.

The back bumper is on....but I have bad news. The sun was beating on the back bumper an the wave and hump came back. All the time I spent heating and massaging this thing are for naught.

I used the epoxy and 1/2 3m tape. A little sanding, prep solvent, adhision promoter, black primer, and BAM !!! An imperfect bumper for a imperfect car.
uploadfromtaptalk1474145082793.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1474145113004.jpg

I'll figure out something to do with the bumper at a later date. Too much stuff to do....so....its on the back burner for now. Smh

I could always lie... " yeah man the back bumpers like that from wheel stands....the 275 street tires hook like mad every time I leave in boost on the on ramps. The bottom was all tore up so I threw the Saleen bumper on. Now, I only launch at 6500 instead of 8 grand. " figured I'd make up a " Honda like " story. Lol

Last edited:
Just for the the record....the heat on bumper thing has worked for me many times in the past. I think the problem here is that its been out of shape for so long that the plastic has memory to that shape. Usually, a plastic will automatically want to return to its original shape.

Who knows how long this bumper has been f'd up. I've got an idea for it. Just has to wait.....for now. Unless @Davedacarpainter has any ideas.

Just for the the record....the heat on bumper thing has worked for me many times in the past. I think the problem here is that its been out of shape for so long that the plastic has memory to that shape. Usually, a plastic will automatically want to return to its original shape.

Who knows how long this bumper has been f'd up. I've got an idea for it. Just has to wait.....for now. Unless @Davedacarpainter has any ideas.
Here's what I see, the bumper almost returned to the exact same shape it had before you heated it.

What would cause this? It's the plastic memory of the piece. At some point when the original warping took place, either some heat helped to shape it in the stretched position, and/or the bumper sat for a long, long time in that stretched position. I'm betting the second. The plastic has had enough time, over the years to have the molecular state to relax into that position.

You have tried to cause the plastic to reshape through heat into what was the factory position. As you have found, it returned to the stretched shape.

What you need to do to change this is similar to stretched metal. You need to shrink it. Just like metal, the molecules need to be reshrunk (you need to beat on it while you have your bar underneath it and are using heat.).

You'll actually be beating the plastic molecules into an original tighter formation by doing this. Once you have done the shrinking routine, let it set for a week with the clamps still on it. This should take care of it.

You understand what I'm saying though, right? Just like taffy, it has been stretched beyond it's original formed shape. So much so that it has formed into a new shape. Once the plastic molecules have had time to relax into that new position, they'll try to return there unless they have been beat into a new shape forcing their molecules closer together again.

So, it's takes more than just heat and supports on old plastic. It takes a type of forging, so to speak.

Here's what I see, the bumper almost returned to the exact same shape it had before you heated it.

What would cause this? It's the plastic memory of the piece. At some point when the original warping took place, either some heat helped to shape it in the stretched position, and/or the bumper sat for a long, long time in that stretched position. I'm betting the second. The plastic has had enough time, over the years to have the molecular state to relax into that position.

You have tried to cause the plastic to reshape through heat into what was the factory position. As you have found, it returned to the stretched shape.

What you need to do to change this is similar to stretched metal. You need to shrink it. Just like metal, the molecules need to be reshrunk (you need to beat on it while you have your bar underneath it and are using heat.).

You'll actually be beating the plastic molecules into an original tighter formation by doing this. Once you have done the shrinking routine, let it set for a week with the clamps still on it. This should take care of it.

You understand what I'm saying though, right? Just like taffy, it has been stretched beyond it's original formed shape. So much so that it has formed into a new shape. Once the plastic molecules have had time to relax into that new position, they'll try to return there unless they have been beat into a new shape forcing their molecules closer together again.

So, it's takes more than just heat and supports on old plastic. It takes a type of forging, so to speak.
Good thing I have a shrinking hammer. [emoji106]

The idea I had was to rivet a flat bar under the areas. Wouldn't have been pretty.....but neither is a wavy bulging bumper.

The body work and paint won't be done until next year. Small holes aren't too bad to fill thanks to urethane epoxy.

When I pull the bumper off I'll attempt to shrink it before I plate it. Thanks man ! I knew you'd come through for me bud.