The weather yesterday was great here. Got the car set up for the control arms and got to wrenching.

20210904_153113.jpg

I found out that my front control arm bolts hit the rack and pinion so I had to take it loose. In the process of raising it up, just 1/2 inch, the dang thing starts leaking. Drip, drip, drip, drip..... son of a beotch. I pinch off the pressure and return lines. This euro PS fluid is expensive. Set up a clean pan and take the fittings loose. I find the pressure line o ring is a little small and the return line o ring is now split. The phone rings, it's my woman asking how things are going ( She's in Maryland with family ) " Everything is going great ! " ,we get off the phone.

I dig through all my o ring stuff and replace both o rings. Wipe everything down. Wiggle my way up and hit the key. Takes 3 seconds for the electric pump to come on. ( that's normal ). What isn't normal is the loud noise I heard as fluid started spraying all over the back of my radiator. I forgot to take the clamps off. The pressure blew one of the lines loose and the pump relieved itself over everything. Huge mess.

I managed to get all that sorted out and both arms installed.

20210904_194515.jpg

Dusty is back down on all fours. I've got to grease all the fittings and figure out the alignment. Scarlet Rose is supposed to get some love today before the Ol'Lady's job farewell get together. She's moved on to bigger and better things. Guess I'm next :oops:

• Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Drove Dusty on the test drive and can say it feels tighter....but I feel every pebble in the road. The stock bushings absorbed a lot. Now I feel everything. I did straighten the alignment out some. Still needs more camber. It could use more caster too.

Also, the Lady did her starter and starter solenoid. I somehow managed a 4 wheel brake job on a Rogue and made it to her farewell party by 7pm. That's a huge accomplishment.

Reactions: 1 users
Tool Dusty out on another ride. Passenger front is towed in a little. Gotta adjust that out. The camber is still changing slightly between reversing and drive. It's driving me nuts but I'll figure it out. Reminds me of when I had lifted 2wd ford truck. That thing would toe in and drop an inch or two in reverse.

Had a project detour. Couldn't pass it up. Found a guy on marketplace as soon as I got off work that had a non- warped rear bumper. Not only is it straight but it's also the right color. To add plus on top of plus....he was located just off the highway between work and home.

20210907_193109.jpg

Soon to be no more hump. Now if I could just remember how I attached the rear saleen lower. I know I used two sided tape on the sides incase I had to remove it but don't remember if I glued or taped the actual bumper part. I do remember a failed attempt at the 3m4747 but don't know if I redid it or not. If that 3m4747 is behind this thing I'll never separate it.

We shall find out soon.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this is going to be a fight...

The back bumper is on....but I have bad news. The sun was beating on the back bumper an the wave and hump came back. All the time I spent heating and massaging this thing are for naught.

I used the epoxy and 1/2 3m tape. A little sanding, prep solvent, adhision promoter, black primer, and BAM !!! An imperfect bumper for a imperfect car.
uploadfromtaptalk1474145082793.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1474145113004.jpg

I'll figure out something to do with the bumper at a later date. Too much stuff to do....so....its on the back burner for now. Smh

I could always lie... " yeah man the back bumpers like that from wheel stands....the 275 street tires hook like mad every time I leave in boost on the on ramps. The bottom was all tore up so I threw the Saleen bumper on. Now, I only launch at 6500 instead of 8 grand. " figured I'd make up a " Honda like " story. Lol

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I got the second shot yesterday and it kicked my arse this morning. Got sent home from work because I looked bad. I told them that's just the normal me. Yeah...no....that didn't work. Took a 4 hour nap ( I never take naps ). Arm isn't sore though. Just had some chills and some body aches.

The bumper is putting up little of a fight. I used ¾ 3m tape instead of the 3m04747. My thumbs are sore from rolling the tape off the back. I guess I knew I might have to take it back off. There's so much I've done and forgotten about over the years. Debating on if I'm going to put the Cervini Saleen rear valance back on. Decisions decisions. :chin

20210909_183459.jpg

The new rear bumper looks good. Thanks to the Lady for helping me get it done.

20210912_193032.jpg

The color is an exact match.

Fooled around with the alignment some more, by eye. Took a trip around the block and had a bunch of play in the steering. Come to find out...my steering wheel was loose. The adapter that is supposed to fit snug on the two flats of the column shaft was worn out causing a pretty bad drift in the steering. I didn't take pics but I smeared grease on the end of the column and put JB weld in the adapter. Let that stuff set up for a few hours and no more play.

It's about time for me to change the spark plugs, calibrate the WB sensor, and change the oil again. We'll see how that works out over the next few days.

I've also got to figure out the auto tune part of MS and partner with a91what on some things.

Reactions: 3 users
The new rear bumper looks good. Thanks to the Lady for helping me get it done.

20210912_193032.jpg

The color is an exact match.

Fooled around with the alignment some more, by eye. Took a trip around the block and had a bunch of play in the steering. Come to find out...my steering wheel was loose. The adapter that is supposed to fit snug on the two flats of the column shaft was worn out causing a pretty bad drift in the steering. I didn't take pics but I smeared grease on the end of the column and put JB weld in the adapter. Let that stuff set up for a few hours and no more play.

It's about time for me to change the spark plugs, calibrate the WB sensor, and change the oil again. We'll see how that works out over the next few days.

I've also got to figure out the auto tune part of MS and partner with a91what on some things.
Great score being the same color! Lookin good!

A few days ago I came across my old car. I'd know that thing from anywhere. This is it right before I sold it. Had a 88 Camaro wing and a 69 hood scoop. This is the one I drove through the mountains 300 miles one way to sell. Had no idea there was snow up there until I drove into it. Lol

Screenshot_20210630-224058_Facebook.jpg

A guy on FB was selling the engine, front fenders, and hood. I asked if he'd sell and he said no. I asked if he'd sell for a very generous price....he still said no. I'm sure it's worth more to me than it is to him but whatever. I would've given him 6k or more to have it back.

Here's how the pics were in his post. The striping at the cowl area of the hood has been painted over. The white molding line has been painted black. The Camaro wing has also been painted.

Screenshot_20210913-102756_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210913-102857_Facebook.jpg

Oh well...the v6 " Great White Hope " is becoming a v8 with a euro front end. I did the quarter windows but couldn't bring myself to butcher the 4 eye look. If I had it now it would go back to how it was.

Screenshot_20210916-201338_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20210916-201346_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20210916-201355_Messenger.jpg

This guy would be getting a really good deal.

• Wow
I wouldn't get rid of Dusty. I do know where a couple other notches are for sale that I can get cheap. Would convert it for him and trade for my old car.

Messaged again tonite. He still says no sale. It's his car. Says he's got some money in it now. Seems cool. Glad the car is being saved. I let him know where to find me and left it at that. Maybe he'll come in the forum and let us see what he's up to.

I’ve often thought about it..
“If I came across my two owner 351w/FMX HS 1969 Mach 1, would I want it back?”
Resoundingly……I could care less.

Heather just told me she liked that car but didn't miss it. Kinda glad he wouldn't sell. It woulda put me in the doghouse for a couple months.

Ha I think he's saved you from your own romanticism there! But heartbreaking if he was gonna carry on breaking. Good to hear that he at least has it in mind as a project! That's as good of an outcome as how any could have gone for the car.. at least you know where it is to keep an eye on it now :D

Any car, truck, bus or airplane I have sold without regret and hope to never see it again with the exception of one, a 67 mustang and that would be the only car I would buy back depending on the condition.
Agreed. As much as I loved that first mach 1 when I had it in HS, through my early 20’s, I haven’t the slightest desire or care, to even wonder about it now. ( or any other of the 46 cars I’ve owned since then for that matter).

Ok so....I'm thinking about t topping and air bagging Dusty. At this stage it's just a thought. I've got a guy with a complete roof for 250 ( would still need T top doors or atleast the T Top glass for vert doors ).

The top is a given I'm almost committed to that idea. Currently, I'm pricing parts from airbagit.com for the air suspension stuff. The coil overs are getting old to me and I miss the stance of the car. I'm too lazy to measure and crank the car down / up every time I want to cruise out somewhere.

• Surprised
  • Hell Yeah!