Exhaust Egr valve

Foxbody1988

May 4, 2019
Fresno
I have a 1988 mustang GT and I want to know if I can just cap the vacuum lines on it and leave it on the throttle body? I want it there still so the check engine light turns off as I have heard it causes issues with the computer. Right now I just have a block plate on.

• Sponsors (?)

I had the vacuum lines and tab/tab removed on my 88 without any issues. EGR was still plugged in and you would get the code if you scan but being a 88 there is no check engine light and it didn't hamper performance at all.

i wanted the egr to "work" and not give off any codes and i didnt want the exhaust gas getting in..so i went to autozone and bought Fel Pro gasket material pt#3195 and used the stock egr gasket as a template..traced it out and only cut out one round hole so the egr plunger can move in and out and left the other side blank so it blocks the exhaust gas..no codes and it seems to be ok

So why did you want to do that? The EGR function is programmed into the tune, and does not affect full throttle power. What are you up to that cleaner air when cruising is a bad thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Would actually be more ideal to disconnect the plug and let the ECU see the egr is non-functional and disable its function in the tune. Yes you get an annoying check engine light.