Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

• Sponsors (?)

My thoughts were both strength although you are right people get away with this all the time the other was looks. I think the tubing will be both stronger and look better even if its not in a really noticeable spot on the car. Sorry to make more work for ya. lol

Thoughts on Wheelie skis or Oil pan savers.... where to buy to save the most monies, are they needed? I dont plan on doing any wheelies but i would like to not beat my pan and headers to death on speed bumps and pot holes

You could easily make sliders out of that same square tube you ordered for the sway bar. Just have them secure to the k member a hair lower than the pan and secure them to the sub frame connectors hanging a hair lower than the headers.

Most people bend the oil pan on manhole covers and stuff that would fit between pan savers. The headers also extend beyond the saving grace's of pan savers. You could make a 4x4 style skid plate.

Honestly, unless your car is going to be really low, or your headers hang super low, I wouldn't worry. Those sliders really won't help on the street. If you do build tubes to protect everything make sure the front edge goes up like a ski. Don't want to shove one into a speed bump doing 10mph. Might loose some teefs.

Ok so I swapped the spacers out with square tubing. Much more substantial.

Attachments

• 20191127_173038.jpg
    20191127_173038.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
I have been working on some of the non essential parts of the project this week, I did not like the fact that the batteries and amplifiers ect. Just sat under a piece of carpet... so I decided to do something about that, behold! My bull:poo: cover up-er-er....
20191129_142456.jpg
20191129_144435.jpg
20191129_144714.jpg

I am still wiring ect.. all this junk, it looks so dirty in the photos.... stuff is old I have had it since I was a teenager.
The entire car needs a good cleaning.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
Yesterday I started working on the exhaust, the hacked up very poorly done exhaust.... never ever let someone talk you into a 'deal' with an exhaust shop the tech will not give a damn how it looks when they are done.

Soo this time I am hacking it up myself. Well at least part of it, I took the old downpipes and began making my intermediate pipes for the longtubes. I want them to sit a certain way so doing this part myself is not a problem. The driver side is done, with the catalytic converter installed. I now just need to work on the passenger side and get it finished up, I will post pictures of my heavily hacked assembly when I am done.

I realized I do not want to remove the ceramic coating from the headers.. but I need to add the O2 sensors... maybe I will put them in the assembly I am making now. I truly want them in the header collector though.
*should have done this before they were fully installed in the car.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m doing the same. I’m not buying another intermediate pipe for the long tubes. There’s plenty of pipe to fab up what I need. I might put in cut outs while I’m at it.
I wouldn’t mess up the ceramic, either right past the header or clamp on style bung but I think you’ll get good readings right after header.

I thought pretty heavily about doing cutouts myself. However in the future I want to do rear mount turbos...

I was going outside to finish up the exhaust, then I didnt.. instead I am on the back porch with a stiff drink and a cigar.

• Love
It’s a lazy Sunday. A drink and a cigar was a good call. I got my sway bar cleaned and painted before the temps dropped then had some bulliet on ice. A bit chilly And rainy/slushy for a cigar though

FedEx lost my :leghump:in shifter.... or they delivered it to someone who is not me...

I have been waiting for this to show up before moving forward with adding fluid and such as it requires replacement of the shift arm. I cannot start the car without fluid in the transmission

• Angry
  • Dislike
Ok so i decided to move forward with the project by ordering a new shifter. I ordered the lokar electronic sport shifter for the 4r70w, this one has the lock out for the shifter in the knob. This means i will be able to use a shift boot for a manual transmission to finalize the installation and make it all look very clean. I will post lots of pictures of the installation of this shifter when i get it in hand.

I managed to get the shifter installed yesterday, I am not 100% happy with the boot but it can be modified I would think. To get the shifter installed just like I wanted took a bit of time, i had to stop and tune a car while this was happening so it interrupted my flow a bit.

I started by cutting the factory shifter plate, I used a frozen up stock shifter to do this with. After the modifications were complete I went to mounting the new Lokar shifter in place.
20191207_152723.jpg

In the picture above you can see the test fit, I had to do some more adjustments including moving the shifter down about 3/8" it would have hit the trim ring. I only have about 1/4 gap between the shifter and the transmission, that's enough for me.

The final product is not final just yet, I still have to wire in many things. But it is progress. I have to finish a tune today, so likelyhood of this getting done is low.

20191207_163116.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 7 users
I managed to get the shift arm installed in the transmission, this required dropping the pan. Then I realized after I removed this tiny little roll pin that the arm would not come out without lowering the transmission... so lower it becomes, I just dropped one side of the crossmember... install the new arm and put the crossmember back up.

I realize I put the damn thing in backwards, drop the crossmember again and flip the arm. This time I decide to install the selector arm ect before putting the trans crossmember back in place, I get the pan on. As I am cleaning up I find the roll pin...
Drop the pan again and install the roll pin, I am starting to feel like Mike at this point.

I managed to get the shifter linkage in place and adjusted with the wifes help. Went to fill it with fluid and...... my jugs are empty, what I thought were full transmission fluid jugs are in fact empty ones waiting for used oil.

• Surprised
Reactions: 6 users