Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

• Sponsors (?)

While I wait for the other half of my building and the engine to get done. I decided to work on a interior project, as you know I am running a DD-efi 7" dash.. I love the dash so working with Kurtis I ordered a 12.3" display. That's correct a 12.3 it should fill every inch of the inside of the bezel.

We are working on a touch screen android navigation system as well, the 7" will be used there. I need a metal break.... I may build one with a piano hinge

It is hot again today with humidity like the bottom of the gulf of Mexico
#Florida
Too bad we aren't closer. We could fab up some pretty cool stuff. Just my opinion, but i would shy away from a piano hinge and go with something more like this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF0GCCKRcvA

Started working on the new DD-efi dash screen... have to say its freaking huge.
I am doing R&D for Kurtis, and getting cool new stuff to play with.
20190715_195347.jpg

7" vs the 12.3" display...

20190716_092810.jpg

12.3 mounted in the cluster, damaged ones work great for projects like this. Still have to make my lexan cover/ screen surround.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok so I only have one complaint from this install so far, the screen is HUGE. Why is that a problem Steve? well let me say this the bottom center of the screen is cut off due to the bump in the 89-93 instrument cluster. I may be able to alter it but that would require that i also alter the pod that the light switches sit in and I dont think that it will look correct if i do so.

In the grand scheme its not that big of a deal, I simply have to alter the gauge cluster on the screen that is what this was built for. The only time it may get in the way is if I am not in "dash mode" but its a simple work around.

20190717_081347-jpg.jpg

Tools used for cutting the lexan, it is not as brittle as plexi so this makes it easy to cut.

20190717_082202-jpg.jpg

After sizing it up and cutting for a tight fit I installed it over the screen and placed some lines I will use to tape it off.

20190717_082716-jpg.jpg

After taping and cutting with a razor for a clean edge I painted the lexan black. I used regular rustoleum black.

20190717_084959-jpg.jpg

While i was waiting for it to dry I used some foam tape to get the screen to fit tightly in its housing and then secured it in place using double sided tape.

20190717_085805-jpg.jpg

After the paint dried I placed some duct tape over the painted surface so it does not get marred on installation and i can drill through it without damaging the paint for the turn signals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
20190717_090322-jpg.jpg

Test fit on the bench.

20190717_090541-jpg.jpg

Doing some testing of the screen in the house I have not made anything "permanent" yet the screen still needs to be cleaned and turn signal led installed. So far I am stoked!! this is awesome!

Before you judge this picture I want to note that the system was not altered for the new screen resolution I was just checking that the screen worked.
20190717_094044-jpg.jpg

Thats a big screen

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users
It is for sure coming along there nicely. With our call this morning, now that were updated the screen resolution to the MASSIVE new screen we can work on updating the dashboards to fit to the confines of the screen.

Quite happy with the new layout of the new screen over the original 7" screen.