Build Thread Enola- Finishing touches

Don't know if you've made your choice yet, but I put my Holley ECU under the driver's seat and ran the harness out thru an existing rubber plug on the side of the tunnel. I had to enlarge it and put a 1.25 or 1.5" OD grommet in it. I wrapped the harness in a velcro heat sleeve, even though it is just sitting on the T5. I probably have a pic somewhere.

• Sponsors (?)

My engine harness will run like the stock one did, the ms3pro has a full new harness and relay/fuse block. The TCU is also a MS product and the two will talk over canbus and be tied into the 12.3" dash. I plan to use or cut a new grommet just over the transmission to route the tcu connections.

Good news, the DS fits just like it should and i now have no worries! I have a long list of things that are just loosely bolted to the car, I will need to go thru and torque them all down closer to completion but i may still need to remove them.

I started on the TCU this morning, since it was a DIYPNP I originally built for a B16 Honda Civic I did have to open it up and alter it quite a bit.. thats ok though, the build will be very robust and the extra unused circuits can be utilized by the MS3 over canbus. This means i will have a tremendous amount of extra I/O enough i can monitor every fluid temp in the car and then some. It already has an on board map sensor so hopefully i can use that for barometric monitoring.

I will update again once I have a completed unit and harness, I dont think taking pictures of the ECU modifications is necessary unless you guys are curious to see that.

Reactions: 2 users
Tcu case is far to large for my liking.. so I am removing the micro module from the mainboard and placing it in a custom 3d printed case courtesy of DD-efi.com it will shrink the footprint of the tcu by 80%. I am excited, this will let me mount it virtually anywhere under the center console. The entire unit will fit in the palm of my hand and only be a smidge over an inch thick.

Reactions: 3 users
Current mock-up of the enclosure:

1572031539156.png

Reactions: 3 users
I have the TCU case and assembled it, I am currently working on the wiring harness. I will tell you soldering to a ribbon cable is a real pita!
1572543986055.png
1572543946223.png
1572544016566.png

I will post a picture of the completed harness when I get the weatherpack connectors in should be very soon.

and thanks again to @stanglx2002 and DD-EFI for making the custom TCU case possible.

• Winner
  • Useful
Reactions: 6 users
And the completed harness, all connections are soldered and I used weather pack connectors for everything. Harness is ready for installation, just need an OD cancel button and tie a relay for ground switch input for the Lock-up cancel from the brake switch.
1572578253248.png

For reference the TCU is smaller than my phone.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
The old case has a full board to build out transistor circuits ect.. along with a break out board for adding plugs for the stock harness. I just need the microsquirt module that runs the operation, it has on board circuits I am using to make this happen. So strip away all the extra and you have a module the size of a credit card.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
I'm curious. The last time I checked, there was no TCU for a 4r70w from DIY. Is this all you, or was there some plan you followed. And...Are you just gonna put the car in D and stab the pedal, or are you gonna interact with the gear changes?

I'm curious. The last time I checked, there was no TCU for a 4r70w from DIY. Is this all you, or was there some plan you followed. And...Are you just gonna put the car in D and stab the pedal, or are you gonna interact with the gear changes?

DIY doesnt offer an option for the Ford 4R70W, but MSExtra does have a Transmission Control Code that includes the ability to run the 4R70W. He will have multiple options available to him including putting it in D and stabbing the pedal, setting different modes sport/race/etc, paddle shifters, LC control, OD control, etc

This is the same code that I will be using to put in the 6R80

As Kurtis stated above I have many options, I will be able to setup multiple strategies including switching between modes, paddle shifters ect.. I will likely just utilize the cruise control buttons I am not using to make this possible.

I need to get my ecu fixed. Even though I now have a functional ms3x, the can bus is compromised ( I think I'm using one of the outputs for something else iirc). I know one of my iac outputs is damaged too. Even if I was to entertain doing something like this dont I have to at least have the canbus fully unassigned?

yes you would need to have both canH and canL available. to be clear the terminal designator does not matter, its the actual CPU pin that needs to be available. you likely have the CPU pin available but terminal is being used on the relay board.

Well it's a good thing I am doing the TCU...

My ms3pro is an older gen1 so it has fewer inputs than a new ms3pro ultimate.. and I found the limit on mine.
I am doing dual knock sensing, dual wideband, monitoring oil pressure, fuel pressure, and the usual sensors. I ran out of sensor inputs....
The TCU is getting all the transmission inputs, and now I will be using the 4 analog inputs it has that are unused for fuel level, barometric pressure, and a spare.... I want 2 of them left open for possible transmission functions.

I am doing more than most in regards to sensor inputs. If I run short again I will add a MSgpio and have more than I can count as spare.

• Surprised
Reactions: 4 users
The idea is I can setup safeties, if the fuel pressure drops below a threshold I can cut power (limp mode) to save the motor and even have it show a "diagnostic code" i can setup all sorts of cool stuff like that. I also want to see exactly how the engine is responding under various conditions.

You would be surprised how valuable having these fields datalogged can be, if an issue arises or the car acts up only under certain conditions I will be able to find it easier with more information.